Note to New Members ×

Warranty on Park Skis

Jack M

My son is the exact opposite of me on snow - skier, loves the park, loves rails.  It's getting expensive.  Park skis are specifically marketed for use on rails.  Go to any of their websites (ON3P, Armada, etc) and they glamorize rails and urban skiing in pictures and video.  Their skis even come from the factory with the edges ROUNDED for easy sliding on rails.

Of course, rails destroy skis, in less than a year.  That is, the way they are currently made.

Lookup their warranty info online - if you do rails, your skis are not warrantied.

I know, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.  But this doesn't sit right with me, where the skis are heavily marketed for this exact use.  It would be like Cannondale saying if you take their mountain bikes off-road, you have no warranty.  Right?

I'm not a litigious person, but it seems like there is a court case here.

I just looked at ON3P. They warranty against defects in materials and workmanship, but not due to damage from boxes, rails, etc. Makes sense to me. They are saying they guarantee their work, but if you bust your skis sliding them down hard objects, that's not on them. Very standard in all sporting goods. Hell, Bruce at Coiler, Sean at Donek are the same.  Man, if I stuffed the nose on a race board in a course and it broke- well, that's normal use but damage outside of of the board makers control. Don't be salty your kid is using stuff and wearing it out.

23 minutes ago, Mr.E said:

Don't be salty your kid is using stuff and wearing it out.

Yeah, Ditto......Not the manufactures responsibility or fault the gear is getting rode hard and used/abused and failing.   

My 25 year old son rides Park Hard!.....but he's got a set of dedicated skis just for that purpose and another set for top to bottom skiing and another set for pow.  Maybe that's why he get's 2+ years out of a set of Park skis.

But gear breaks and gear that's being repeatedly thrown hard onto metal rails and boxes grinding is gonna break sooner, that's a fact!     Not worth getting worked up over,  well unless the skis are like fresh new. 

The Volkl Revolt is one of the less expensive but more durable Park skis my son hasn't been able to break....Yet! 

Where I live we have a bunch of ski swaps a couple of months or so before the start of the racing/competition season.  There is always really well maintained stuff with plenty of life left for racing events, powder, and park.  Typically skis that have seen one season of use are about 1/2 price or less, two season old skis are considerably less.  Maybe picking up a couple sets of lightly used park skis at a big discount would be the way to go?

11 hours ago, Mr.E said:

I just looked at ON3P. They warranty against defects in materials and workmanship, but not due to damage from boxes, rails, etc. Makes sense to me. They are saying they guarantee their work, but if you bust your skis sliding them down hard objects, that's not on them. Very standard in all sporting goods. Hell, Bruce at Coiler, Sean at Donek are the same.  Man, if I stuffed the nose on a race board in a course and it broke- well, that's normal use but damage outside of of the board makers control. Don't be salty your kid is using stuff and wearing it out.

I understand, but the difference here is that the manufacturer endorses these activities with their marketing materials.  Like if Honda voided your warranty for taking your motocross bike off-road.

1 hour ago, dhamann said:

Where’s he work? Hint hint

At a restaurant.  I know, I would totally put this on him, and I would like to demand that he go halvsies on the next pair, but where his sister goes to CVA while we told him he could not, it's complicated.  And the fact that I have 5 active snowboards doesn't help my case either.  He has leverage.

• Like 1

😉 It seems to me that it's not a problem. You break the skis, then someone buys you some more.
It's better than old school, when stuff would last for years and go appallingly "out of fashion".

These people have designed a product which is always fashionable and updates at zero cost to the user. A brilliant model.

Saying they are park skis and up for the task is different than saying all damage in an activity that is dynamic and unpredictable is covered under warranty. There is some personal accountability there. Skateboards are meant for street riding, but if you brake a deck casing a staircase no one is sending you a free one. We might not get to the same side of this, but it all seems very reasonable to me. 

My understanding is that Honda off-road bikes have a parts and labor warranty shorter than the on road, and are not eligible for the typical extended warranty periods. If you bend a frame on a trials bike I doubt you'll get a new one.

Edited by Mr.E

1 hour ago, Mr.E said:

If you bend a frame on a trials bike I doubt you'll get a new one.

Agreed, but that is the result of rider error.  Intended use of the bike will not bend the frame.  Intended use of these skis will break them sooner or later.

Ehh... not sure about that.  I didn't sign anything, and I was not directed to read any waiver.  I think expecting a pair of skis to last a full season is reasonable.  If not then that was the last pair of $700 ON3Ps I am ever buying.  Price limit will be $250 going forward.

I think they should make park skis better.  Like maybe with a metal plate on the bottom of the skis under the binding area.

Email Jason Levinthal at J Skis in Burlington and see what his take is. If you're unfamiliar with J, he started LINE skis, sold Line to K2 and Full Tilt boots. Then acquired 4FRNT. J's has a Park ski that is consistently recognized- his warranty has the same disclaimer - Any problem resulting from impact, abuse, or neglect. This includes but is not limited to rail and rock damage, crossing of skis, standing skis on their tips on concrete, sliding, grinding or banging skis against objects that are NOT made of snow for example steel, wood, concrete, pavement etc. but perhaps produces a burlier product. ON3P doesn't strike me as the first manufacturer I'd reach for in that discipline. Great all-mountain and powder following but park..seems pricey as an option. Top 5 for 2020 has J's Allplay at #5 with Armada having 3 models in top 5. I think the J's are in $550 range?

4 hours ago, Jack M said:

$700 ON3Ps

There's the 1st problem   Not the most durable skis out there imo  

2nd problem - aren't you in tha  business?  You should be getting Pro deal or at least beginning of season Pro night deal!!  Ain't no way I'd pay $700 retail for that ski.

...and How broke are they?  Unless their snapped in half we'd fix it and make do for the rest of the season knowing their limitations. 

19 hours ago, barryj said:

Not the most durable skis out there imo  

What is your experience with them?  They seem quite popular among the park regulars at our mtn.

Edge is pulling out of one.  Guess I'll cram it back in with some JB Weld.

22 hours ago, powdahbonz said:

Top 5 for 2020 has J's Allplay at #5 with Armada having 3 models in top 5

He had a pair of J's that he outgrew.  He had a pair of Armada Edollo's, Henrik Harlaut's pro model, they lasted less than a season.

2 hours ago, Jack M said:

What is your experience with them?

None.......now  not a fan of any ski with a bamboo core because we had a bamboo core ski 4? years ago and they barely made through 1 season after edge blew out and we put it back in twice  ! 

On 1/29/2020 at 12:57 PM, Jack M said:

Intended use of these skis will break them sooner or later.

Intended use of my oxygen/ acetylene supply will empty the bottles and I have to buy more.

My local Airgas distributor more or less guarantees the product will work as intended, but both parties assume (and rightly so) that it's a consumable.

Granted, I'm usually producing something of value, and figure the cost into the outcome. 

Might not be obvious, or desirable, but the performance athlete is the only part of the scenario that shouldn't be considered disposable. Skis, boots, poles, and clothing etc., are all expendable, and will have varying lifespan depending on how they are applied to the job.

Besides which, if he and others are consuming skis at a steady rate, isn't that supporting the manufacturers,  isn't that advancing the sport, and isn't that worth the cost?

->Skis and rockets both serve only to launch and guide payload. By comparison, the skis are free.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 5:07 PM, Jack M said:

My son is the exact opposite of me on snow - skier, loves the park, loves rails.  It's getting expensive.  Park skis are specifically marketed for use on rails.  Go to any of their websites (ON3P, Armada, etc) and they glamorize rails and urban skiing in pictures and video.  Their skis even come from the factory with the edges ROUNDED for easy sliding on rails.

Of course, rails destroy skis, in less than a year.  That is, the way they are currently made.

Lookup their warranty info online - if you do rails, your skis are not warrantied.

I know, play stupid games, win stupid prizes.  But this doesn't sit right with me, where the skis are heavily marketed for this exact use.  It would be like Cannondale saying if you take their mountain bikes off-road, you have no warranty.  Right?

I'm not a litigious person, but it seems like there is a court case here.

suck it up jack your kid wrecks stuff  what do you think will happen when he buys his own skis