S5 hardboot - Korean

slapos

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

The long green are much stiffer than the long red.  I looked on the site... only short ones... interesting.... Thanks for the 411

Not sure where I got the greens. Must have come in the box, as 951 greens are finger bend soft.

49 minutes ago, Lurch said:

@slapos / @lonbordin for context of the impeding torture test, assume these bad boys are the regular flex (not the World Cup) ? 

World cup did not exist when I ordered these, mind you they came with super stiff tongues and stiff springs. 

I judged them to be stiffer then upz rcr If adjusted properly.

Now you got me wondering whether I should get another pair but smaller this time....

How am I supposed to save any money with you ?

Edited by slapos
  • Haha 1

@lonbordin

In the photos it looks to me like the midfoot width is much larger than UPZ. Is that noticeable in fit? 

Are you using Intuition Plug Race liners? Minus the 7mm foam insole slab?

Do the TD3 toe bails bind on the sides of the boot toe? I have that problem with my UPZ already (depends on which generation of bail).

Very interested to hear the ride report! Thanks for the information @slaposand @lonbordin

1 hour ago, slapos said:

Not sure where I got the greens. Must have come in the box, as 951 greens are finger bend soft.

World cup did not exist when I ordered these, mind you they came with super stiff tongues and stiff springs. 

I judged them to be stiffer then upz rcr If adjusted properly.

Now you got me wondering whether I should get another pair but smaller this time....

How am I supposed to save any money with you ?

LOL.  I'm guessing @slapos might have a few loose springs lying about under a stack of boards and plates. 🤣

lSjivqR.jpg
These greens are much stiffer than those reds. 

I agree properly buckled these are stiffer than the UPZ RCR based on my carpet carving.

1 hour ago, teach said:

@lonbordin

In the photos it looks to me like the midfoot width is much larger than UPZ. Is that noticeable in fit? 

Are you using Intuition Plug Race liners? Minus the 7mm foam insole slab?

Do the TD3 toe bails bind on the sides of the boot toe? I have that problem with my UPZ already (depends on which generation of bail).

Very interested to hear the ride report! Thanks for the information @slaposand @lonbordin

The S5s are much wider throughout than the UPZs.  I can only wear UPZs, without crying, after boot work.  I have some plug Intuitions but no I'm using an ancient pair of DeeLuxe tongue liners that are embarrassing... pretty worn out with little support.  I do have some sweet custom insoles inside.  (I've got some replacement liners on order)

I've not tried it on my TD3 SWs Gen.?...  hang on... (goes downstairs....) 
I7puftJ.jpg
No issues...

• Like 1

FWIW these are called “die springs”. As their name implies they are used for dies and plastic injection molds. 
McMaster and Grainger are good sources but I’ve found them on Amazon and eBay.

They are usually color coded according to either an ISO or JIS spec. Google is your friend here. 

image.jpeg.d939389689da07eac386330f1ce4c93f.jpeg

• Like 3

I posted this earlier in regard to MS springs:

"Oh, and 16mmx 38mm is 5/8" x 1.5" if anyone is looking. 

Doing some quick math, it looks like blue metric is a touch softer than blue imperial, and red imperial is a touch softer than red metric.

RM(221 lbs/in)->RI(190lbs/in)->BI(108lbs/in)->BM(104lbs/in)

Greens are not comparable- Green Metric is extra light, and Green Imp. is extra heavy."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Nice writeup Dave. Looking forward to the ride report.

Encouraging to see an option for tunable ramp angle. I'm presently at 5.1 front, 3.8 rear.

Thank you E., much obliged. I hope you are finding your northern location suitable.

I too am looking forwards to riding... I was hoping today would be possible but life got in the way.

951, S5, Atomic Backlands... It's an exciting time in the world of hardbooting.  I doubt it will get UPZs to use better plastics or DeeLuxe to actually make a heel pocket in their last (and use better plastics) but one can hope.

• 1 month later...

I got to ride them on two short days at Vail. The conditions were bad both days.  I used my UPZs the rest of the days.  I was riding with my son (a very rapid skier) and I wanted to be less focused on my equipment and just focusing on making good turns and keeping up.  Also I setup my Nirvana and F2s for the S5s and my Donek (TD3sws and Geckos setup for my UPZs) was the board for conditions (highly variable).

What do I know?  The toe buckle is not required for me, I removed it.  They are more stiff than my UPZs.  I kinda' wished I kept my BTS springs.  So much easier to adjust than the stock springs as Slapos mentioned in the first review.  I actually went down to softer springs (first time ever for me).  I felt confidently held by the shells/liners (Zipfit WCs).  The rubber sole is waaay different than UPZs and the boot can be slippery.  That said the heel actually being back towards the heel makes up for it a bit.  (Definitely walk differently than UPZ boots!)

I need to work on:

-cuff angles
-the right springs ( I think I went too light)
-a little more room for my big toes

My hats off to anyone who does this kind of fiddling at big resorts.  It is sooooo much easier to make adjustments at my little bump. I walk 50 feet to the car, make changes, and right back out.

I'm happy with my purchase and look forward to dialing them in next season. :biggthump

• Like 2