Note to New Members ×

Deeluxe ground control

LambertoMI

Personally id say there to soft for anything but powder or mild riding. The flex is through deformation of the shell so they will break down just like how a soft boot does. As a result and them not being that stiff in the first place youll probably only get a season at most out of them before there to floppy to ride in and for a boot thats retailling at £469 its way way to much. Cool idea but to soft and to pricey.

This is super interesting to me. Looks like these came out a year ago and I never noticed. Thanks for sharing the other thread @lonbordin and you personal review @scottishsurfer

I have been a softbooter forever and have been trying to convert since last year. I feel like this is the type of transition gear that I need.

To tl;dr some of my personal history, I found myself some used hardboot gear and got started. With about 7 days under my belt, I broke my lead ankle (medial malleolus) on a green trail practicing 5 days ago. Maybe this would have been a better transition for me from softbooting than starting with full hardboots. 

There are a lot of lessons to learn and the curve has felt pretty steep. Better to keep learning on the slopes than on my couch.

I’d love to hear more about the product if anyone has taken a pair on the snow. 

Edited by tenguspengus
Giving credit.
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

So I found a good deal and bought a pair.  i will suit them up this season and post a report.  Should be interesting as they are stiff lowers, and medium uppers.  The boots fit super well.  More posts when the snow flies, ping me back here to remind me to write up a review

Thanks

• Like 1

I like softer boots in general.  But with wider feet, its tough to get a good balance.  I always had soft boots for powder days, but the soft boots and bindings always fit wierd and never supported enough.  I am hopefully these will function as soft boots for hardbooters like me.  Not really a hardboot for softbooters. 

They might just end up somewhere between, but its all about comfort with these and if they can ride at all.

• 4 months later...

So a bit of an update on the boots.

Fitment - the boots in general are very stiff out of the box.  The size seems to run a little smaller but standard liners are warm and supportive.  That said, there is an added lace up leather/vinyl support that goes over the liner and is meant to secure the foot to the liner.  It could be very comfortable.  For me, it created several pressure points that were not comfortable to me.  I disassembled the boots and found this inner support was the culprit.  I removed them and re-inserted the liners.  Much better fit!  To this, I then added my molded liners and the fit was super comfortable. 

Ride report - the boots are very stiff.  I was surprised at how well they perform for the quasi hard/soft boot.  They had good initiations, built in forward lean, and solid edge control/engagement.  The boots remove a lot of chatter from the ride.  I was on typical ice sugar wet conditions that we have had this year and I was surprise how good they felt.

Overall thoughts - these boots are probably not for everyone.  I am not sure how they will hold up after 2-3 weeks of riding.  I will have to report back later on that issue. 

Weight is the biggest plus!  They weigh 1/3 to 1/2 of my standard deeluxe boots.  This makes the weight on my feet so much less. 

Warmth is the other plus.  Comfy and warm boots and i had no thermo issues on the first few days.

Fit is nice.  The boa system laces up with no pinch points.  So there are not any binding points, no pinching, and no numbing areas from pressure.

Summary - i would buy them again.  I think they will be much nicer as I get older.  They may soft up more to make them better for powder conditions.  I hate my soft boots, and the hard boots are exhausting in powder.  These will have a home for me on snow days, light use days, and make a good interim or training boot for those converting over to plates.

• Like 2

My wife ordered a pair of Ground Control boots and they arrived today. She has been riding in Deeluxe 225's and wanted to try something different, not as stiff and heavy. Can't wait to hear how she likes them after we ride this weekend at PowMow.  going to convert them to FinTec step ins. Hopefully she will enjoy them as much as you LambertoMI. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JRAZZ said:

Please let us know!

I'm still looking for something softer. Seems the softer I go the better I ride.

They are quite pleasant JRAZZ.  They gave a good ride feel, but the question will be on the long haul.  I will be interested how they feel after a week or two on them.  Looks promising though.  What size are your boots?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi!

So I discovered these boots just today. I'm more a softbooter looking for a harder experience than the opposite but I just bought a pair of Spark Arc bindings so my question is, do they fit with this kind of bindings? Or should I buy also another ones so I can use them?

Thanks guys! Pleasure to have a community where you can find so much information

22 minutes ago, LukenZ said:

Hi!

So I discovered these boots just today. I'm more a softbooter looking for a harder experience than the opposite but I just bought a pair of Spark Arc bindings so my question is, do they fit with this kind of bindings? Or should I buy also another ones so I can use them?

Thanks guys! Pleasure to have a community where you can find so much information

No, these would need harboot binding like Bombers or F2s. They would not work with the Spark.

If you're looking for a "harder" experience (especially when choosing boots) look at the thread below but ultimately hardboots are hardboots. YMMV

• 1 month later...

I bought the Spark R&D Dyno DH plate bindings but I couldn't get them to fit my Deeluxe Suzukas.  They were too tall from base to lip.  The Dyno DH plate bindings are apparently made more for an AT ski boot. 

Plus you also need a way to convert the toes to the Spark Tech Toes.  Has anyone had success with such a conversion?
image.png.050953107534f87e2474989a4f1703b9.png

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I bought a pair of Ground Control boots as a first try at alpine riding. I'm pairing them with my inner boots from my Neidecker Talon soft-boots on F2 Intec bindings on top of my Swivler riser plates. I've worked with Donek to spec out a 175 Flux, 23.5cm waist, 9.5-11m SCR. Angles are F:45, R:36. Shown on an old Head Intelligence board.

I'll post later in the year how well they perform.

Deeluxe Ground Control F2 Intec Swivler.png