Note to New Members ×

Opinion (boots stiffness): Mountain Slope .951 World Cup(120 flex) vs Regular(100 flex)

pow4ever

I personally like "stiffer" boots:  Head, Upz RC10, Track 700
Did find the RCR cuff stiff in the "wrong way" for me (granted it was carpet surfing only).
Maybe there is too stiff...

Obviously most racer are all on the 120/stiffer boots
Softer boots have merits:  Extreme carving style preferred softer boots, more versatile in various snow condition. 

The boots are tune-able with spring/tongue to a certain degree.

Trusting in the wisdom of the crowd:  Love to hear your thoughts if you were to pick one over the the other.
Type of riding you do(race/all mountain), reasoning, weight.  

primarily all mountain, wider boards and softer boots except for riding 18 x185 gs which I rarely bother.

45/30 ish angles currently using free69 deeluxe with softer tongue and walk mode on the back foot, prefer 21-25 wide all mt boards,

172 Thirst BX is my go to on+off piste board, it switch carves beautifully I've pretty much given up on square tails

ps  sold my 425 pro after trying them out found them stiffer than I need, easier to carve in softer boots than it is to surf in stiff ones

Edited by b0ardski
  • Thanks 1

Not sure what you weigh or what you are looking for.

I found changing the springs on the MS had a more immediate change in forward flex than the .951 vs WC in forward flex just standing in them (both boots set up with the same springs). I ended up going for the WC version, and for pushing race boards they seem great. I'm only a few days into them and still getting used to them beings stiffer laterally. I'm going to try some spring changes, but I am happy with the stock red/ yellow combo if I'm pushing hard.

From my quick swap to a roughly blue spring and the immediately noticeable forward flex, I'd say you can really do a lot to change the forward flex, especially if you swap tongues, etc. They are stiffer side to side than any Raichle/Deeluxe/ UPZ I've ridden.

Not sure if you are asking if stiff boots are good, but if you like a stiffer cuff and the MS fits your foot, I think they are pretty adjustable.

Edited by Mr.E
  • Thanks 1

I'm 10lbs heavier than you and bought the WC after spending a full afternoon trying on Deeluxe, RC12's, .951 and WC and flexing them on a board in the shop.

I went in expecting them to be overhyped and over priced and that I'd walk out with UPZ's and a boat load of cash in my pocket, but the flex and fit worked for me. After years of foot pain in hardboots, I decided to double down (literally) and get the best boot for my foot. 

Edited by Mr.E
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.E said:

After years of foot pain in hardboots, I decided to double down (literally) and get the best boot for my foot. 

Amen!....  I am in the same exact boat.   who knew that the problem with Hardboot snowboarding is the boot 😉
Did you went to Bola's shop to try everything or some other magical place?

@Bobby Buggs:  "Lack of skilled Alpine snowboard boot fitter around us is a HUGE problem and has helped to reduce my net worth over the past  20 years lol"

I had a pleasure to ride S5 , upz, 951 regular and wc and waay in the past I had blax.

I am 83kgs which translates to roughly 180 lbs.

Any time and day I chose the 951 shell shape and cable over tongue design then upz assymetric tongue.

I confirm what  @Mr.E is saying. Change in shell from regular to world cup, does not affect the forward flex if you have the same springs in the back.

I found red springs touch too soft and currently have yello, cranked down a little more than usual.

Changing springs affects stiffness much more then changing tongues. I rode the regular 951s with yellow springs and world cup tongue and currently I am struggling to see the difference Vs world cup shell and tongue on yello springs.

I have to admit also that I like very much how the S5 boots handle the board, due to lower heel placement. 

Mind you 951 is much more mature boot and waay more user friendly then S5, so if you have the coin go for 951.

If you don't but wanna get feeling close to 951 go for S5.

• Thanks 1

Great info.  I love this community!!  Think I am sold on the .951 WC; only Q is this season or next lol...

@Mr.E @slapos Do you ride in powder with 951 WC?
For Mr. E it's probably too early to tell since it's a new purchase.
For travel; I really just want to bring 1 pair of boots.

Premature optimization on my part as I don't ride enough powder to worry about it.
Plus it's more technique?
Wonder if/how the laterally stiffness of WC impact it's performance in powder/tree? 

I haven't taken it out in a deep powder, but I have taken them out in 5 or 6 in and they've been fine there. I struggle most in them in really chopped up conditions like moguls. That is definitely more of a technique than equipment issue in my case. It only takes a minute or two to swap each spring, so if you're traveling with one pair of boots you could always throw a couple of those in your bag.

if I know I'm going to hit variable conditions on freeride or pow gear I'll probably end up using a softer boot there, but that wasn't my main driver for the purchase. 

Edited by Mr.E
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all once again for the feedback.

To sum it up:

Mountain Slope World Cup(120 flex) vs Regular(100 flex):

WC(plastic 120 flex) seems to be the way to go:
Fore/Aft flex can be easily adjust using Spring so the plastic flex is not much of concern.
laterally flex WC is stiff:  which is great for response.   For majority of our/my use case:  riding on Hard pack/carving board
In really chop up/mogul condition:  the stiffer setup is not ideal but should be manageable if one's technique are up to par.
For the heavier weight.

Can't really go wrong with either:
Regular(plastic 100 flex):
Go with Softer plastic flex and stiff it up using spring for stiffer front/back
Better for all around riding at the expense of some laterally flex.
Or for lighter weight

• Like 1

8 hours ago, slapos said:

I had a pleasure to ride S5 , upz, 951 regular and wc and waay in the past I had blax.

I am 83kgs which translates to roughly 180 lbs.

Any time and day I chose the 951 shell shape and cable over tongue design then upz assymetric tongue.

I confirm what  @Mr.E is saying. Change in shell from regular to world cup, does not affect the forward flex if you have the same springs in the back.

I found red springs touch too soft and currently have yello, cranked down a little more than usual.

Changing springs affects stiffness much more then changing tongues. I rode the regular 951s with yellow springs and world cup tongue and currently I am struggling to see the difference Vs world cup shell and tongue on yello springs.

I have to admit also that I like very much how the S5 boots handle the board, due to lower heel placement. 

Mind you 951 is much more mature boot and waay more user friendly then S5, so if you have the coin go for 951.

If you don't but wanna get feeling close to 951 go for S5.

Hey Slapos...hope all is well!  I'd love to hear more about these S5's you mentioned.  Might have already been discussed, but new to me as I've been absent for a while.  The write-up, translated, on the Korean site reads like a novel.  Good fit, stiff, soft, etc?

Randy Kight

• Jack M changed the title to Opinion (boots stiffness): Mountain Slope .951 World Cup(120 flex) vs Regular(100 flex)