Note to New Members ×

2020 injuries

Pokolikrat

14 hours ago, Allee said:

I can't get over people these days ... that someone would hit you hard enough to do that sort of damage, and then take off to cover their ass and leave you there, just boggles my mind. People can totally suck, and I'm sorry that happened to you. We can only hope that karma is truly a thing.

Healing vibes coming your way. I hope that you can rehab well enough to enjoy your summer at least.

A skier hit me from behind in Solden on my backside turn. After that, the skier scolded at me asking me why didn't I look back when I turn !?!? I asked the skier "do you look behind when you carve/turn?"

It was a wide blue/red slope approx 60m wide. I was carving quite slowly, my turn aws not big & extreme, say about 5-8m wide. I always look around to clear all skier/sbers before beginning of each slope. The crash happened approx 30 second from the top of that slope. It is clear that the skier hadn't allowed enough clearance space when he planned to bypass me. Luckily, I noticed something going against me at the end of my backside turn and I laid down to minimize the injury. He crashed my board and flew into the air.

I kept saying that "you hit me from behind" and he and he ski mate kept saying foul words. What can I do?

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, hknz said:

It was a wide blue/red slope approx 60m wide. I was carving quite slowly, my turn aws not big & extreme, say about 5-8m wide. I always look around to clear all skier/sbers before beginning of each slope. The crash happened approx 30 second from the top of that slope. It is clear that the skier hadn't allowed enough clearance space when he planned to bypass me.

I've been hit from behind and knocked right down the slope by someone doing the same thing, and I'm sure others have as well.

I downloaded a phone app a couple of weeks back at my roommates prodding ... he wanted to compare stats from his skiing and my riding. On the day we went out, I only hit 54 km/h as a top speed, but that's kind of frightening when I think that was probably going across the hill. I don't ride fast compared to most of the guys here, who are carving at speeds significantly higher than that. Skiers simply don't expect you to be travelling that fast cross slope. Given that my roommate topped out at 95 km/h that day, it;s not hard to see that's a bad combination for people who don't see carvers too often.

However, that in no way excuses hit and run.

Shocked to read your story Ladia, wish you all the best for your recovery.

It is crazy how some (many) bomb down the mountains these days, without paying attention. Even if you a laying down carves consistently, many skiers seem unable to anticipate your next turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ladia,  I took this season off at Kirkwood. Hope you make some big gains to stop any early gear sale.

How an entire chairlift did not see a skier hit you from behind on Flying Carpet is hard to imagine.  The entire run is to the left or right of the chairlift. And we know from years of carving that run that most skiers/boarders coming back from the backside bomb Flying Carpet to keep enough speed to barely reach the main run back to the lodge.  Skier attitude at Kirkwood is bad right down the liftlines.

Hope to see you at Kirkwood next winter brother

• 6 months later...

Well, unhappy update. Yesterday I had appointment with my ophthalmologist. Not so much vision improvement. I had still horrible double vision. And my depth vision is really screw up. They now consider surgery to get that vision somehow better. It looks like 4 cranium nerve never recovered from that hit. So I don’t see me back on slopes, maybe I will try do some sliding at Soda springs resort later. I had to be extremely carefully not hit my head. Of course I would have get new body armor as everything was cut in pieces in January. Make thing worse A month ago I went thru 5 hours surgery to remove bladder cancer. So this winter really looks good for me. I will sell most of my boards and bunch of other stuff. I will take a pictures soon, after I will be able to move and lift stuff better. So just first cut: Kessler 162, Donek MK, Oxess166, Voile split board, Virus UFC 162,Soulcarver163, La Glisse175, brand new boots, binding and so on. It is so sad after 54 years on the slopes. The boarding was such a big part of my life for last 30 years, it just feel so empty now. I hope you guys will have a great winter.

• Sad 10

Ladia, I never saw this post originally and just want to add my deepest sympathy for what you have had to go through.  We've never met but I feel as if I know you and so many others just from being a part of community on this forum.

I too have been hit from behind three times.  Once was by a skier who blamed me.  Perhaps rightly so, he limped off the hill and his day was done and I was OK.  And once I was knocked unconscious by an older teenager who, to his credit, stayed with me.  He was there in the ski patrol room when they checked me out.  I regained consciousness on the hill about 10 seconds before the time limit where I would have had to go by ambulance to the hospital.  I've been on the lucky side of the outcomes from these collisions and feel really bad that you're the one who balances out the outcomes by being so unlucky.

I truly wish you all the best for the best possible outcome.

Ladia hang in there buddy!  So sorry to hear your difficulties have not improved.

I know how Huge boarding/carving was a motivating force for ya so Please Keep Your Gear And Boards And Take This Season To Recover......with the new Pandemic skiing restrictions you might not be missing much skipping this season!

Keep us informed on your prognosis and I'm hoping to hear you have some positive recovery. 

Thanks for keeping us informed!

Peace and Prayers Brother :ices_ange

Edited by barryj

Sad and sorry is about all i can add.  My hopes are this coward has many restless nites. I never feel completely relaxed riding unless i have a wing man usually my wife. My hope for the future would be that we promote the idea of not riding alone and by doubling up you have a witness as well as someone who could chase down the offending party. As in scuba diving the buddy system has many safety advantages i would encourage all to practice it.

Hi Ladia, for some reason I am just seeing this thread now.  Very sorry to hear all of this, what a terrible story.  #2020.  Thank you for letting us know, and for the sobering reminder of what is at stake for all of us.  Wishing you the very best.  I can merge your two accounts and reset the password.  PM me and we'll get it fixed.

• Like 1

Ladia - very sorry to hear about your situation. Not being able to snowboard anymore would be a big loss. Not being able to live the other parts of your life normally is even a bigger loss. 

I've never collided with another rider. It really scares me that it could easily happen to me. 

My only (partial) solution is that I no longer ride on weekends. Way too crowded.

For the last 3 years we have ridden only on weekdays. Mid-week is much less crowded and most of the others on the slopes are older intermediate skiers. They are by nature more experienced, more cautious. more aware and more in control. 

Often when we are on the slopes there are very few other people in sight. 

Riding on weekends just isn't worth it to me anymore.

Ladia, I'm really sorry to hear that your recovery has not been straightforward. Getting run down is a fear for all of us, and I'm sorry that it happened to you. I hope that long term you make a good recovery and that one day you can get back on the snow again. 

• 2 months later...