Note to New Members ×

Injuries through the years

big mario

On 1/2/2020 at 4:10 PM, Allee said:

That's actually about it. Guess I really do ride like a girl.

Better than me!  And you have a good story about crushing your phone,.. .

Soft parts:  thumb, wrist, elbow, shoulder, hip, knee, head, neck

Hard parts: tib-tib/fib, tib-tib/fib, ribs (while holding my breath hooked in under a windsurfing sail)

On 1/3/2020 at 10:05 PM, Carvin' Marvin said:

Geez, what are y'all made of? Water jelly held together by a hollow crystalline matrix? Oh wait......

just a bag of animated earth slime, sitting at home on the google machine while nursing a pulled shoulder during the 1st good powder cycle:freak3:

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 9:47 PM, pow4ever said:

couple thoughts comes to mind:

speedy recover to everyone on the DL list...
Nothing sound remotely "relax" up in here with all the injuries....

As many have mentioned:  it's the long term impact on the body that's going to haunt us....
https://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/topic/47536-is-relaxing-carving-possible/#comments

Need constant reminder that we participate in a relative dangerous sports.
How aggressive do you rate you self? pushing the edge/limit is a huge part of the fun for me...
but i will be staying on my "girly"/green trail lol... 

Best practices:

Other than helmet; what other piece of protective gears do you swear by?  wrist guard, back protector... 
for me:  helmet, knee pad, braces(this year new addition/preventive), impact shorts and g-form top.
At what point does the padding start to impact our riding lol?  death by thousand cuts.

Checking equipment for tear/wear 

Check your uphill/be situation aware

any other tips?

Helmet, back-protector, hip-pads, and elbow-pads definitely.  I ride at higher angles so knee pads don't really offer much protection for me.  I usually wear a Sweet Protection Bear Suit as insurance against straight-liners but it is way overkill and makes me sweat right up despite way sub-zero temps.  Next time around I would opt for a back-protector alone.

On 1/7/2020 at 9:12 AM, Beckmann AG said:

Frame the 'competition' as one of you vs. yourself, rather than you vs. context.

Nice!  i think i understand 🙂
Thanks for that.  It's a great reminder.
That's part of the problem the old me seems to be doing better.
The older I get; the greater I was.

• Haha 1

I dislocated my knee playing basketball back in school so I quit skiing (never liked it anyway).  My feeling is that boarding protects the knees but is hard on the head and wrists.  

For the first years riding (1990's) I dragged my back hand and dislocated my shoulder enough to make it chronically loose. Now when I crash I instinctively tuck my arms in to my chest to prevent another painful dislocation...never did much else.  I thank God for the introduction of helmets tho.  

There's an old school thing in climbing: "the leader must not fall".  These days I like that one.

I'll stick to ski /board injuries

'75 at 49*North, spiral fracture on handme down JCPenny skis.

'90 wrapped my front knee around a tree on steep n deep at silver mt. rear entry skiboots in modified strap binders on a K2 TX; MCL PCL

"93 compressed disc dropping a cliff at Alpental and hitting the traverse track

several minor concussions and tweaked shoulders from edge catch body slams over the decades since the mid '80s, including this week keeping me out of the new pow today

many sprained thumbs crashing with poles

a couple spained ankles from over flexing

'07 hairline pressure fracture fibula at the top of the front boot from pounding moguls

no surgeries so far (as if I could afford that), not to severe for 45 years of glisse

• 2 weeks later...