Note to New Members ×

Mount Snow Dec 17-19

Guest pnut

Guest jeremiah

If I don't close on my apartment this week, I should be at Mt. Snow this weekend. I'll post later in the week if I'm going up, and will send you phone info, etc.

I had a great time riding with Scott on his new Donek Race GS 186 yesterday morning. I was on my new Axis 177, learning to ride it, and for the first time in many years, I could not keep up with another snowboarder. As much as I am learning to love my Axis, I'm already thinking FC or Race for next season.

Jeremiah

needs a bigger quiver

I will be going to Mt Snow or Stratton on Friday.

It'll be my first time out though, and I'm way out of shape. Consequently, I'll probably be on my skis so I can take it easy and condition my legs; snowboarding is still a bit of effort for me and I don't want to strain myself first time out!

I'm bringing gear for both disciplines, so I might convince myself to switch mid-day. ;)

I'll be up from the 20th to the 24th. I usually try to catch the first chair and ride for an hour before switching to skis (easier to hang with my 7 year old that way, and hardboots are no good in crowds). I stay under either the summit or Canyon lifts until the crowds hit, then Fallen Timbers (best carving trail on the hill), then Carinthia.

Guest jeremiah

How do you carve on Fallen Timbers? That run has some nasty narrow sections, and the top seems damn near uncarvable, but maybe I'm just not quite ballsy enough yet. I took several runs on it last Sunday, and once I realized that I didn't have to do perfect layover carves the entire way down, I really enjoyed it. There are a couple nice sections where you can lay it down, and the last steep section sets up for some good show-off carves on the flats on the bottom.

Of course I still think the best carving at Mt. Snow is on the Sunbrook side. It's the only place on the mountain where you can do perfect carves all the way down and not worry about running into anyone else.

Jeremiah

not going up this weekend :(

The big trick on Timbers is figuring out how to handle all that sidehill - I ride regular-foot which makes it a little easier. The only really narrow spot is right at the top, and if you're overloaded there you can bail out onto the wide area where the two trails meet just below it. My favorite spot is the little roll about 200 yds above the final pitch - if you approach it from the left side of the trail you can head UP the knoll and get 100 horizontal feet of air at an altitude of about a foot and a half.

I agree that Sunbrook is potential paradise, but the lift is slow, and I'm always getting blindsided by guys doing 11s down the left side. I may have seen you there - were you riding a Rossi VAS last year?

Guest jeremiah

Aha, you're regular, that makes sense. Every time I have to bail out of a carve on FT I think, 'This damn run is NOT set up for goofy riders'.

You probably did see me up there last year, but I was on a K2 Ginsu and Clicker Softies. Generally a grey jacket and blue helmet. I got about 30 days in, and generally rode Sunbrook in the afternoons.

Jeremiah