Note to New Members ×

Lonely Selfie Stick Picts

dredman

10 hours ago, queequeg said:

I'm always impressed by people who can carve with selfie sticks in hand ... Whenever I've tried it the results have been less than stellar (both the images and my carving).

It' a bit of splitting the mind in two. There's always a portion of my brain that has to pay attention to where the pole is, trying not to stick it in the snow. Definitely cramps your style, well, maybe not @dredman 's, he seems to have style to spare (and distracting wardrobe changes).

I try to pick days with good snow and visibility. By filming the first run before the lifts are turning I eliminate having to look out for traffic and just hope there are no other surprises on the hill.  Not the best way to take your first warm-up run of the day, but I've still gotten a few memorable shots that make it worth the effort. Practice makes it easier to not devote as much focus on the stick. I usually ditch the stick after that first run so I can fully focus on enjoying the ride.

One of my first gopro-on-a-pole shots (2012) came out pretty good and got me hooked! 1446307830_snowboardme.jpg.df7e7b69119efed3966d7cfd16f26816.jpg...photo-shopped the stick...

Really like how @philw 's camera can make the stick disappear. Phil, I just zoomed in on your avatar (kept thinking it was a snowy sea urchin). Is that with the same camera overhead, or a drone?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

...photo-shopped the stick...

Really like how @philw 's camera can make the stick disappear. Phil, I just zoomed in on your avatar (kept thinking it was a snowy sea urchin). Is that with the same camera overhead, or a drone?

Yes, the 360 cameras (my Rylo, the GoPro Max, and probably the Insta) automagically remove the pole. They have two back-to-back lenses with about 200 degrees field of view each, so they have coverage of the bit where the pole is from two sides. You have to line the camera up with the pole, but if you do that then it just takes it out. I'm not precisely sure how they do it, but it's 100% reliable.

The Avatar thing is an image from the same camera, simply zoomed out to the maximum. I think they call them "little earths" or something. It's a kind of inside-out projection of the spherical video, if you see what I mean.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...