Note to New Members ×

Question about mounting binding disk screws diagonally

KB303

Hey gang, 

I didn't find anything when searching for prior discussions on this topic. Due to my placement of the toe and heel sleds on the SG bindings and also my binding placement, the inserts that I would normally use are partially covered by the sled and are very tricky to tighten, and this feels like a risk of stripping the head or cross-threading the screw. Does anyone have any experience mounting the screws diagonally as in the attached photo? This gives me the access I need to tighten the screws appropriately. I can't imagine this would cause any performance or durability issues, but I wanted to see if the community had any recommendations or concerns with this setup.

Thanks.  

Keith 

IMG_0051.jpg

Only major concern would be if you are on the heavier side on the weight spectrum. The larger the circle that the screws occupy the stronger the attachment. The screws @ 11 and 5 o'clock would be stronger at the other end of the slot. My advice is to ride it as is and check for flex on the binding and check screws after a couple of runs.

• Thanks 1

If those SG bindings are like the F2s, could you mount the binding base plate to the board using the farthest out screw holes (without the heel/toe sleds installed on the base, but with the t-nuts captured between the board and baseplate), and the install the sleds last? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, st_lupo said:

but with the t-nuts captured between the board and baseplate), and the install the sleds last? 

Good ideas, but SG bindings are inverted compared to F2s; they have the t-nuts up in the sled, and are tightened from below. Benefit is that you don't need to move the sleds to check bolt tightness, but the downside is you can't mount the base then the sleds. 

• Thanks 1

Don't worry on using it, impossible to say if it is weaker or stronger than a 4x4, 4x2 or 4x6 bolt pattern without some fancy strength analysis.

Your bolt setup is not more asymmetric than the binding plate itself diagonally stiffening the board, so it is not 'less correct' than the normal setup.

The stresses in board, binding and bolt are a combination of your leverage on the board, and the binding locally stiffening the board(not wanting to flex with the board). Moving the bolts inwards or outwards can be good for good for one aspect, and bad for the other, so there is no easy answer.

• Thanks 1