Note to New Members ×

Paoli Peaks 19/20

lonbordin

• 1 month later...

I'm baaaack! :freak3:

So first night (or day) at the Peaks for me this season. Conditions were snowcone and lower 40s. It was slush slashin' time.

spacer.png

I did have some confusion... The staff on hill were wearing either Stowe jackets or Okemo jackets. This was the only sign that PP was bought by Vail Co. There wasn't an Epic or Vail logo anywhere on the premises.

Well anyway had fun testing the limits of carving on slush. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

It was 57 F (14c) when we left Paoli at 1330 today on February 2.  That's f*cking nuts...

My son sent me this... Didn't know he was filming! It was soft today... SOFT!

spacer.png

Edited by lonbordin
Yeah I was on the Kessler for 2 runs... Wrong board for conditions!!!

I was both impressed and appalled today. Impressive that Paoli was even open. A single groomer pushed the last remaining jumps around the hill to open the runs.

In doing so he picked up a wee bit of dirt in the snow leading to off white snow across the hill.

So thin in places... so thin. I've been coming here since 2004... I can't remember PP being open with such a low depth.

I had fun... I think this has progressed to Stockholm syndrome. :smashfrea

Totally forgot... Met another fella' riding a wide (29.5) Incline on softies... Knew Sean... 😎

Album for the strong here: https://imgur.com/a/2ill7WV

spacer.png

Edited by lonbordin
Moar

3 minutes ago, bobble said:

jeeeeezus…. 😲

how full was the parking lot? was it just season pass holders?

I don't know how you do it.

Remarkably full... Most of the folk I spoke to were from Tennessee and Kentucky coming up for the day. The day as in the only day they'll be on the snow this season. Paoli sells a lot of walk up tickets... I just don't see how the Vail feeder model will work here... The Vail Co. regional manager was at the hill today... I'd love to read his emails...

I get up, realize if I want to slide down snow I can drive 58 minutes and do just that so I go.

When your options are limited you do what you have to... sometimes Buck sounds like a paradise. :freak3:

12 hours ago, lonbordin said:

Remarkably full... Most of the folk I spoke to were from Tennessee and Kentucky coming up for the day. The day as in the only day they'll be on the snow this season. Paoli sells a lot of walk up tickets... I just don't see how the Vail feeder model will work here... The Vail Co. regional manager was at the hill today... I'd love to read his emails...

I get up, realize if I want to slide down snow I can drive 58 minutes and do just that so I go.

When your options are limited you do what you have to... sometimes Buck sounds like a paradise. :freak3:

when snow turns brown i get depressed. i am less inclined to go riding. when i do go out its not about getting runs in, it's more about seeing it through to the end. i live only 2 miles to buck so it is not much of an issue.

the fact that you drive an hour to a Paoli with the conditions you have posted is commendable.

i salute!

11 hours ago, bobble said:

when snow turns brown i get depressed. i am less inclined to go riding. when i do go out its not about getting runs in, it's more about seeing it through to the end. i live only 2 miles to buck so it is not much of an issue.

the fact that you drive an hour to a Paoli with the conditions you have posted is commendable.

i salute!

Thanks @bobble  I think an intervention is in order... maybe we swap offices for a couple of weeks?  Just think of how much you'll appreciate Buck after those 2 weeks!  A tolerance break if you will...

I went back... Why... I don't know... really at this point I have no idea what I was thinking.

So upon arrival it was obvious they attempted to make snow... but, but @lonbordin

weren't the temps fairly mild? Yes.  So ice? Yes.

This is what happens when a massively overworked and understaffed crew tries desperately to stay open in the face of climate change. The steps below were coated in 1 to 3" of ice as was most of the hill.  (Note: the off-white snow was still soft... the particulate density changed the freezing point... fascinating.

5dklXY7.jpg

vUSxWfs.jpg

This is Oak... I spend much of my time here... it's also our NASTAR course (yes it is a blind dog leg left woo-hoo)

yvydxyt.jpg

Was it icey?  Oh... oh yes.

JJCFUZc.jpg

My snowpants barely came off the seat a couple of times

HSgmsDx.jpg

no... just no.

ldJPBLC.jpg

It started rock hard.  Then we got graupel, then snow... big fat flakes for ~20 minutes, what a tease, then sleet then rain.  The rain softened it up enough it became rideable.

Then it started to rain harder... I bailed around noon.  Sucked.  Looks like Paoli might have a chance to save the season towards the end of this week if the forecast holds. Stay tuned.

Edited by lonbordin
It's poured rain there and back home all day... It's pouring as I submit this...

So Paoli went mostly brown with the thinnest white ribbons I've ever seen with them being open since the last post.

Then... we had some low temps.  Paoli was able to blow snow from Thursday until ~1000 Saturday.  While the temps were low... the humidity wasn't.  For those who don't know this creates a VERY dense output from the snowguns.  They say they made 24" over the period... maybe... but a very dense 24".

DD1csiA.jpg

Yesterday ^ was white but it was far from wonderful.  Many massive yellow ice patches and really they just groomed as fast as they could as they were playing catch up and the Mtn. OPS is severely short staffed.  Kudos to them for pulling it off!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CU9CTzCfgv3jN5Z29 <-Last two days in photos

The GM is driving the groomer....  I think they can cover 12 hours with current OPS staff... tough to pull off multiple late open days (0100) AND blowing snow. The day got better after the sun softened things up... but it was never great.

Today, however, was FREAKIN' FANTASTIC.  One of the top 5 days, for me, since 2004 at Paoli.

xE7w5dq.jpg

The snow started to get a little sticky around 11:30 today but this morning was all time.  Super dense snow, but fast and you could really lay an edge into... combined with my setup is absolutely dialed in... it was incredible.  

I received compliments from visitors from Japan and Italy. (PP is weird man... you never know who's going to be there).  I shredded the race (NASTAR) run.  Sorry to anyone who attempted to race there this afternoon!  

Man that last 5% really is 40%.  I was able to whittle it down to ~2.5% today.  Seriously everything is harmonious Boots, Bindings, Board, Being (human).  I can't thank all those enough that have contributed to getting me to this point... as with all things it's a group effort.  I'm stoked.

I wore myself out and left by 1330 or so.  I might try to go early tomorrow if the rains hold off.

Edited by lonbordin
I wish I was to this point when I recently rode with the LCI... but I wasn't and that motivated me... so thanks!

What do the patrons at your hill look like? Do they look like this?
spacer.png

There was joy in repetition today-

mmsJoU1.jpg

Snow wasn't as firm as yesterday but still pretty good in the morning... then it got warmer.  Small crowds... most of my favorite runs were wide open.

Still a really interesting day.  Got a bunch of compliments which made me feel good.

The most interesting part was the Senior Mtn Ops fellow driving up to the lift and waiting for me.  We are always friendly but he's never gone out of his way to talk to me.  Gave me several compliments about my carving, very nice & much appreciated.  We talked about snowmaking for a bit among other things... I had thought it was the relative humidity that was the reason they weren't able to make as much snow... I was wrong.  Hoosier Energy is limiting Paoli Peaks power and they can't turn everything up for hours at a time. :angryfire  AND when they supply power they aren't able to regulate the voltage very well (3 phase spiking over 525 volts and burning out equipment).  Paoli has had to install their own regulators to protect the equipment!

He said they could have made another foot of snow if not for the power issues. arrrgh!

Oh... I'm going to be writing some letters to big daddy Vail Co.  I'm certain their corporate lawyers can convince Hoosier Energy to get their act together.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:54 PM, lonbordin said:

Hoosier Energy is limiting Paoli Peaks power and they can't turn everything up for hours at a time. :angryfire  AND when they supply power they aren't able to regulate the voltage very well (3 phase spiking over 525 volts and burning out equipment).  Paoli has had to install their own regulators to protect the equipment!

He said they could have made another foot of snow if not for the power issues. arrrgh!

Oh... I'm going to be writing some letters to big daddy Vail Co.  I'm certain their corporate lawyers can convince Hoosier Energy to get their act together.

@Speedzilla  used to work at Buck Hill. maybe he still lurks... anyways Speedzilla told me that it cost thousands of dollars just to run the guns per evening. I wish I could recall exact number but I think it was way above $10K. at the time it did not seem possible that running a ski hill could be profitable with sky high utility rates.

I looked at the Hoosier web page.

We are a community-focused organization who works to efficiently deliver affordable, reliable and safe energy.

it looks like they are not able to deliver 2 out of 3 of their promises. i'd hate to be stuck on a chairlift because a power surge blows out a drive. 

I hope Vail steps up. maybe they can hook up some generators to handle peak demand? or send out a power engineer to figure out what is going on with the voltage spikes. the source might not be originating from Hoosier Electric. maybe coming from a factory connected to the power line. 

i'll put my name on a petition if need be.

11 minutes ago, bobble said:

maybe they can hook up some generators to handle peak demand? or send out a power engineer to figure out what is going on with the voltage spikes. the source might not be originating from Hoosier Electric. maybe coming from a factory connected to the power line. 

They have some generators but it's not enough... Hoosier energy has admitted it's their issue. They've apparently been replacing transformers but have not been able pinpoint the issue.  Apparently it wasn't old lift motors that caused the issues the last couple of seasons but the voltage spikes burning out the old lift motors.  I also don't want to be on another broken lift, no bueno.

You're right about costs. Paoli Peaks becomes the biggest user of electricity in the area during the winter surpassing a couple of large Mills and area quarries.

Make friends with your Mountain Operations folk!