Note to New Members ×

Planning my first time on an alpine board...advice needed

Guest astan100

Guest astan100

Hey guys,

So here's my slight dilema (sp).

I bought a board and boots which should be here by Friday this week or so. It's a Donek Axis. I don't have boots to go with it yet and I don't know of any place around NJ that has snowboarding hard boots to try on.

Now, if I stand on a ruler, my feet measure 27cm left foot and 28cm right foot (this mis-matched foot length thing has been annoying FOREVER).

My current soft boots are 29cm and the right one feels a little snug...

So, I think step 1 is going to a shoe store and using one of their metal measuing things.

Even after that, I'm still concerned about buying boots on without trying them just because I've done some searching here and read all sorts of fitment horror stories.

This brings me to my real question. Should I just go out this next weekend on the all mountain board with softies on until I can really try on hard boots? I can probably find a person/place to ship something to me in time for this weekend if I can FIND a boot in my size.

How bad will the All Mountain board be with Soft Boots. I don't know how much longer the season is going to last, so I really want to try out my new board at least a few times.

Thoughts?

what soft boots and bindings do you use? with size 29cm, you're definately going to need high angles on the axis' 21.5 waist to get no boot-out.

some people use soft boots and bindings, but they use the stiffest "soft" equipment out there and at very high angles (a size 29 will be like, 65/60 to get no boot-out, maybe even higher)

if your equipment is stiff and supportive, you can set it up with a bit of boot--out just to try the axis out and get a feel for it (without aggressive carving)

Guest astan100

I have Sims boots and bindings. The bindings have "gas pedals" so that raises my feet up a little bit luckily.

I really have no meausure to tell you how stiff they are though...

Do you think it is worth desparately trying to find a set of hardboots before the weekend? I'm just concerned about the fitment issues I guess. Should I be looking at Mondo 29 boots instead of 28's?

By all means, try out your new board. An Axis isn't prohibitively different from a freeride board, aside from forcing you to ride higher angles.

Also, be sure to check out the Welcome Center here.

And don't be afraid to buy boots here. The Bomber folks are pros at getting you the right fit via long-distance!

Guest astan100

I would like to pick up a set of boots from here, but I want to spend around 300-350ish shipped including the Intec heels I need.

So a used pair of higher end boots are probably what I would want...or I could get the cheap Raichle's and add in a thermoflex liner or something...I dunno. I figure a used set of better boots would serve me better down the road.

I feel like I should be able to get better deals than what is on the website here now...that's MSRP at the end of season.

Any thoughts on where to look?

Astan

The Donek axis should allow for a lesser angles considering you are new to alpine. being new I wouldnt expect you to be laying down heavy turns until several sessions into it, depending on your previous expereince and riding style. I have my bindings at 66 front and 64 back and that tucks my toes and heels in at least an inch on each side. I started out at 50/50 and worked my way up from there. This was my first season in hardboots after 20 years in softies and I was able to increase the angles about every other session until I got to where I am. I also was able to get 30+ days in this season so that quickened the learning curve. The Axis is a great board. as far as proper boot size, If you can get the thermoflex liners after you have gone to your local shop to get properly measured, that should help you out.

I started cheap for boots and bindings and have been very pleased in doing that. I picked up a pair of Raichle 223's for $70 and TD1's standard for $100. they have worked great for me and saved me some extra cash. High end boots and bindings should be for further down the road, unless of course you have disposable income. If you do, I'll take a MADD 158 on ebay, just kidding.

Hope this helps and welcome aboard.

Greg

Guest astan100

I just missed that pair RPhillips had for sale. I would have loved to pick them up though.

I'm going to go get measured tomorrow and report back to you guys.

Thanks for the advice so far and keep it coming :)

Advice: "Don't skimp on boots", they are the single 'most' important part of the puzzle ! They have to 'fit' properly, or are a waste of time and $$, not to mention how miserable they could make you feel.

Personally I would NEVER buy a boot without trying it on 'first'. If you're in NJ, probably the closest place to you is 'The Starting Gate' @ Stratton, VT. Call them, see what's available, take a ride up and try them on.

JMO / jp

Guest astan100

Yeah, that's what I'm concerned about. It's not the money I'm worried about...it's more the throwing money away on something I'm not sure would fit me.

What would happen if I went to a ski shop, and tried on just the shell of a Mondo 28 and Mondo 29 sized ski boot? I can see if I cn fit about 2 fingers in there to test it right?

Even if I did try on a boot, I wouldn't know how well it would fit me because the liner isn't yet molded to my foot. Are the shells ACTUALLY created to be different lengths? I.e Head and Deeluxe would have a different Mondo 28?

Maybe I will make a weekend trip to Stratton though...I like the mountain a lot. Nice steeps without moguls over there.

Different boot will fit ...differently.

rtying a shell fit on a ski will give you an idea, but won't be definite. You fit your boot for the smaller foot, and then look at having work done on the larger foot's boot. Bootfitters can always make a boot bigger, but never smaller.

As for buying a boot from bomber, I did, without proble. Michelle was able to explain the fit of the boots, and put me in a boot that I was thinking would be too small, but in fact was perfect. If it hadn't fit, a new boot would have been on the way that day.

If you can get t o startton, get in touch with curt at the starting gate...you won't be disappoinyted...

Guest astan100

Alright, so here's the update.

I went to a bootfitter and my trace method was fairly close. My right foot is 28cm and left is 27.5cm.

I think I def. need a Mondo 28 Boot. The guy also told me that it's easier to make a slightly large boot snug instead of making a slightly small boot larger.

This is different than what ncermak said.

I'm very seriously considering making this guy an offer to get the boots ASAP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21249&item=7141276650&rd=1

I was thinking 200 or so shipped...max? Does that make sense? I dont' want to low ball someone.

Originally posted by astan100

Alright, so here's the update.

I went to a bootfitter and my trace method was fairly close. My right foot is 28cm and left is 27.5cm.

I think I def. need a Mondo 28 Boot. The guy also told me that it's easier to make a slightly large boot snug instead of making a slightly small boot larger.

This is different than what ncermak said.

That is different from what I've heard from the 3 bootfitters I've ever met and pretty much everyone else. To make a small hardboot larger you can heat and streth the plastic shell. Whereas will a larger boot, you need to pad every square inch of the boot exactly the same in order to get a performance fit (nearly the equivalent of sticking an extra pair of socks to make a large pair of ice skates fit). This is what I've been told.

One thing you should know is that mondo 28 boots are almost always 28.5 shells. The difference between the 28 and the 28.5 boot is a thicker insole inside the liner.

So personally, I would go with the 27 (27.5 shells) and get one of the boots punched/stretched out.

As my personal experience, I have size 8 feet... but I have progressively moved down from 26 to 25 now to 24 size boots (my feet measure a little bit over 25cm).

Originally posted by astan100

I'm very seriously considering making this guy an offer to get the boots ASAP.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21249&item=7141276650&rd=1

I was thinking 200 or so shipped...max? Does that make sense? I dont' want to low ball someone.

The photo on Ebay shows the Intec cable running up the outside of the boots. Interesting. I wonder if he drilled special holes for the cable. If not, the cable is probably frayed and ready to break at any moment.

Here are two Ebay.com price references for the Raichle SB324 (but not with the Intec heels):

new Raichle SB324 US-10 '00, 4-buckle, no strap $127.50 2004.12

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21249&item=7117683361&rd=1

new Raichle SB324 25.0, 4-buckle, no strap $76.00 2004.12

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21249&item=7119030415&rd=1

Here is a Ebay.com price reference for (new) Intec heels:

new Intec heels $49.99 2005.01

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21248&item=7131043174&rd=1

Guest astan100

Where do the cables normally go?

Also, I read in that string of threads about boot sizing that stretching a snowboarding boot is very difficult to do.

So wouldn't buying a 27 be dangerous for me if I can't find someone good around me? I might take a trip to another ski shop around here to see what they say. Also, do you know what brands tend ot be 27.5's and not 27 shells? I'm afriad that due to my n00biness, I'm going to buy a 27 shell and have a lot of trouble.

NO NO NO...

go with the 27. Stretching soft boots is difficult. stretching hard boots is the same a stretching ski boots. it is a very easy process...for an experienced bootfitter.

The purpose of being in a hard boot is to facilitate energy tranfer from the foot to the board. The fit needs to be snug in order to do that. If there is too much room, your foot will move in the boot before pressuring the boot (which is connected to the binding...which is connected to the board).

If you go with the larger boot, you will find yourself buying new boots by the end next season.

and it worked out fine. I went down to one of my local shops, tried on various brands of ski boots and came away with a pretty good idea of what size hardboot I needed. I ended up buying a pair off ebay for $29.99 (new Oxygen Kryptons) and they served as my first pair of hardboots with no problems. I've since then moved on to Raichles, first a pair of 123's (bought new $50.00)then the boots I ride with now AF700's (bought used here on Bomber $250.00) and have never changed my size. You can get your sizing very close with research, and you can definitely pick up good deals on boots if your patient. The 324's on ebay look like a good deal to me and if they're 28's you'll probably be just fine size wise. Either way, you're gonna need boots, you just have to make the best deal you can and get the sizing as close as possible.

Good luck,

Paul

Guest astan100

Oh, sry guys...I was just skimming through that other post because I'm at work and have to secretly read this thread...

Ok, now I'm convinced 27 is the way to go...anyone got any mondo size 27's they're selling :)????