Note to New Members ×

DIY cable lock

Mr.E

I'm not a big fan of the retractable cable locks, and the coil type for bike are bigger than needed.

Quick trip to the hardware's store, $10 and about 5 min later I have this little guy. 2' of 1/8" braided steel cable and an aluminum combo lock and I'm good to go.

IMG_20191216_164621.jpg

Edited by Mr.E
  • Like 4

• 3 years later...
On 12/16/2019 at 4:53 PM, Mr.E said:

I'm not a big fan of the retractable cable locks, and the coil type for bike are bigger than needed.

Quick trip to the hardware's store, $10 and about 5 min later I have this little guy. 2' of 1/8" braided steel cable and an aluminum combo lock and I'm good to go.

IMG_20191216_164621.jpg

@Mr.E, having purchased 5 Burton retractable locks this year for family and friends to use and having one fail, your solution makes more sense.  The good news is, the other 4 continue to work fine and the Burton warranty replacement was quick at the local Burton store.  While the retractable cable is good in concept to save room in pockets, the plastic housing and internals of the Burton lock are just not as strong as what you selected.   Wish I saw your post earlier.

I have a combination cable lock which is "for travel" and it's thicker than the standard snowboard locks, although it just rolls up, doesn't retract.

I also have a little ringbolt, which I use to replace one of the rear binding's bolts with when I'm riding at a resort. If you don't have that, someone can nick that £1,000 board by simply unscrewing your £200 bindings from it, with any snowboard tool. That's 4 bolts for the Burton Channel. The eyebolt makes that much harder, because although you can rotate it, it's got that cable looped through it, so you can't take it out easily.

I still like the idea of a Samsung Smart tag in the binding too, but until someone produces a plastic F2 wedge with one embedded in it, that's hard to do discretely.

36 minutes ago, philw said:

I also have a little ringbolt, which I use to replace one of the rear binding's bolts with when I'm riding at a resort. If you don't have that, someone can nick that £1,000 board by simply unscrewing your £200 bindings from it, with any snowboard tool.

They can take it more easily with a pair of cable cutters and in less time.  Locking your board is all about making it a less easy target.  Plenty of other boards they can just pick up from the rack.

1 hour ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Locking your board is all about making it a less easy target.

Exactly this! Losing a board to theft is something you don't forget. The tiny inconvenience is dwarfed by that memory, so I lock every time. 

Except at MCC. 😉 

Doing something different than the majority is good for security as well. Any thief knows exactly how to break/cut the mass-market locks, anything different gives them pause. 

• 1 month later...