Note to New Members ×

Two-Way Radios / Walkie-Talkie - Suggestions?

MNSurfer

We're looking to get away from using mobile phones to communicate, whilst on-mounting. Can anyone suggest a two-way radio that works well in the slopes? We mainly ski Summit county, if that matters at all. Any price-point is fine. 

- Keep in-mind something that works well with gloved hands (knobs vs little buttons, etc.)

- We have a house in Breck (Shock Hill), so a base-station would work. But it would be nice to be able to use them elsewhere, without the base

Before SMS, we used radios (can't remember what make/model), and it was so convenient and efficient. SMS? Not so much. 

Thanks!

-Brian

Edited by MNSurfer
added more info

Chinese radios (the Baofeng uv-5r and similar) work great, can be programmed to be legal world-wide, and also can use local emergency frequencies where that's legal. Depending on which model you buy they're every bit as good as any VHF radios you can buy.

The catch would probably be that for resort use you may find the public frequencies annoyingly busy. I've no idea about that, which would be a local thing.

I use Motorola 2 way radio's and add the Motorola 53724 Remote Speaker with Microphone.

The remote mic works great as you can hear even while riding from the speaker - and with the big push to talk button on the side - easy to respond and no need to take mitts off. Easy for kids to use too.

To mount the mic on kids jackets I added a wrap of duct tape to one side of a safety pin... pin it to the chest/lapel of the coat and clip the clip the mic to the duct taped side of the pin.

motorla%20lapel%20mic_zpsmr3des7b.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2019 at 2:41 PM, MNSurfer said:

Looking at these myself. Can anyone tell me if they've used them without a backpack?  The remote mic looks like it might be awkward if it's not clipped to a pack shoulder strap.