Note to New Members ×

Okemo area rental/borrow

chaoticbiker

I’ve been riding soft boots for years and want to try hard boots before pulling the trigger on buying a full set up.  Is there anyone in the Okemo area with gear they would be willing to rent out for a half day.  I’m looking for something in the 160ish range and 28 boots.  Might be able to get you a pass or two.

I have several boards (including a 154 cm Hot Shine) if you'd like to try one and I have a set of Head Stratos Pro boots in 28.5.  You're welcome to borrow them.  When were you planning on trying them?  I  live a half mile from Okemo.  Do you ride regular or goofy?  I don't need a pass.

Edited by patmoore

39 minutes ago, barryj said:

I know the Snowsports shop at the base was selling Donek boards and Bomber bindings  last season...............not sure about this season or if that was a one and done?

I think all that gear is gone.

4 hours ago, patmoore said:

I have several boards (including a 154 cm Hot Shine) if you'd like to try one and I have a set of Head Stratos Pro boots in 28.5.  You're welcome to borrow them.  When were you planning on trying them?  I  live a half mile from Okemo.  Do you ride regular or goofy?  I don't need a pass.

I ride regular and am looking to go out next Friday possibly (unless adult responsibilities happen).  I was drooling over those boards last year but couldn’t shell out the money having never tried it. 

1 hour ago, chaoticbiker said:

I ride regular and am looking to go out next Friday possibly (unless adult responsibilities happen).  I was drooling over those boards last year but couldn’t shell out the money having never tried it. 

Friday the 6th?  If I go to the mountain that day, I can take skis.  I just have the one pair of hardboots so I'll need them back at the end of the day. .  I had a pair of Rachle 324s but the guy that borrowed them a few years ago still has them. 

I'm not sure how to send PMs with this forum but you can shoot me an email at pmoore (at) snet.net

• Like 4

Hey chaoticbiker: I don't really have a suitable "starter" board--but I too am occasionally at Okemo (about once a month or so).  If you would like to meet up, even on soft boots, I am more than happy to ride.  If carving even on softboots is still somewhat "new" for you--not saying it is, I am also more than happy to help you learn some drills / skills that will carry over easily to hardbooting... making the transition much, much easier.

1 hour ago, chaoticbiker said:

A huge thank you to patmoore for taking me out today.  You definitely got me hooked on hardboots.

Welcome to the dark side! There's lots of good used gear in the classifieds here if you're thinking about buying an alpine setup. 

This is great @patmoore  very cool you where able to help a newbie out.

@lonbordin World Cup is great, nice and wide, you can get to from the Sunburst lift. My favorite for carving is Quantum Leap on the Jackson Gore side, it has a great steep headwall at the top and has a steeper pitch than most of the other trails at Okemo. Jackson Gore area is also not as busy.

• Thanks 1

Weather looks crappy today but I might get out there tomorrow.  Rode before the rain yesterday.  Epic conditions and I had the place to myself.  

On 12/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, chaoticbiker said:

A huge thank you to patmoore for taking me out today.  You definitely got me hooked on hardboots.

Glad you enjoyed it.  The Burton is waxed and sharpened.  You're welcome to it.  

16 minutes ago, patmoore said:

Weather looks crappy today but I might get out there tomorrow.  Rode before the rain yesterday.  Epic conditions and I had the place to myself.  

I was there at open, then went inside for phone meetings from 1000-1040 then went back out until ~1200. The rain was too much.

Always humbling to ride the East Coast after the West Coast.  Definitely need to sharpen my edges!  First run was down world cup and the groom was firm with furrows... Tough.

I found Sapphire to be much nicer later in the morning.  

Sorry to have missed you Pat.

I dropped by the snow shop at Okemo Saturday to see what was left.  No Doneks on display so I asked and was told they were in the back.  Picked up an MK, brand new for under $500.  They had Proteus', an FC and I think a Pilot.  Guessing there were new Deluxxe boots and Bomber bindings too, but you have to ask.  Great deals to be had.

I'm at Okemo the day after Christmas to New Years.  Pat, looking forward to getting out with you and whomever is around.  

No spare boards, but I am going to list a pair of Raichle 23.5s and Kids bindings that someone can have for free if they want to get their kids out on hard boots.  Only condition is that you pass them along when you are done with them.  Think they were the equivalent of a kids 5 or 6.  

Congrats on getting the MK. It's a sweet board. I think they're out of boots and bindings.

I can defintely use the kids' bindings and the Raichles.  Three grandsons all want to transition to hardboots.  I can adjust Burton Race Plates way down but they're still a little too big for the oldest boy.

We'll be coming back from the UK on the 26th.  Looking forward to riding with you!

Edited by patmoore

I got to meet and ride with Pat yesterday. Thanks Pat! It was great to have an Okemo guide.

I also met another boarder on a Prior. He was mute and if you wrote your name I'm sorry I missed it.

Either way it was a good morning.  The conditions were quite variable across the hill which is to be expected after a day and a half of rain.

I met @chaoticbiker at Pat's in the evening. Pat and I are neighbors for the week, lol.

Unfortunately I had to work all day today.

That said, @patmoore's recommendation of the Boot Pro shop for a base grind was solid. Just picked up my NFCB this afternoon and they did a fantastic job.  I threw the bindings on it and can't wait until tomorrow. 

I'll be at the main Lodge ready for the chairs to start spinning tomorrow morning. 

Had a couple of Okemo sessions... and got that Donek from @nitro. Well packed and it rode great today.  The local shop "The Boot Pro" did a great base grind on my NFCB.

Conditions have been variable but I had a good time.  Moving on the Bartlett tomorrow...

Oh... And it's raining AGAIN. 🤬

Edited by lonbordin
Stupid Auto correct
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2019 at 12:35 PM, GeoffV said:

This is great @patmoore  very cool you where able to help a newbie out.

@lonbordin World Cup is great, nice and wide, you can get to from the Sunburst lift. My favorite for carving is Quantum Leap on the Jackson Gore side, it has a great steep headwall at the top and has a steeper pitch than most of the other trails at Okemo. Jackson Gore area is also not as busy.

I should have checked here for some trail advice prior to being at Okemo this weekend. 

For what its worth, I ended up on Quantum Leap which has a nice pitch after that first steep section....which is a hell of a way to warm up.  The side wasn't groomed out so it wasnt as wide as it should have been and i had to be on my toes.  I had four nice runs w zero lift line on that jackson gore bubble lift before 930 before the hordes showed up.    Later in the day when skiing w the kids i thought the exhibition/boomerang combo below the solitude lift looked pretty nice.  I'll try world cup next time.  

Cheers