Note to New Members ×

Mountain Slope .951

Beckmann AG

48 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

Is the Northwave WC 120 comparable to a ski boot 120?

Does anyone have the Race series 130s?

How is everyone's .951 holding up after useage?

Well, I would say 120 ski boots will be stiffer due to construction of the boots. But, MS 120 are stiff and they are stiffer than UPZ RCR. And they are holding up great.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2021 at 7:27 PM, lonbordin said:

I have the .951's. I picked them up used last year. They were probably raced on for 1 year before that. I had a cable wire buckle strap break last week. The 2nd one from the bottom, with the longer cable. I jury rigged a fix using vinyl coated wire from the hardware store while I await a replacement pair of cables from Bola. Apparently this is the most common one to break. The same strap that broke regularly on my old Burton Furnace & Reactor boots, rear foot. I guess it gets more stress.

I don't tear boots apart from usage like you. I usually get several years out of a pair of boots. I can tell you that the original Northwaves seemed to be pretty durable, at least the plastic boot part. As you know, 15 yr old boots were selling for several thousand dollars before MountainSlope made their reproduction.

I used to see lots of them at races all cobbled together with nuts & bolts & washers. I talked to a Canadian coach whose whole team seemed to be wearing them. He showed a pic of a collection of old Northwaves that he had been collecting and hoarding. He rebuilt them in his shop.  

He told me a couple of reasons they were favored was that the flex of the plastic remained stable in varying temps and that the ankle pivot was a little higher than other boots allowing a more natural flex. I suspect that may be a factor in helping heel hold.

I recently came across this Northwave history, interesting.

https://tomasio.at/temp/NorthwaveIntroductionV1.0.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

How many seasons/ days ? 

This is my second season... They've been on snow 80+ times or so... 

Please for the love of this thread don't make it about my boots. Feel free to PM me.

Edited by lonbordin
Going back to watch the MCC clip for the 1000x time
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

This is my second season... They've been on snow 80+ times

Not about your boots! But if one brand outlasts another by a factor of 2 ( or more) suddenly the price point difference is less of an issue. 

Edited by Lurch
no boots to see here - move a lon bordin
  • Like 2

Approaching 100 days, holding up very well.  I just broke an ankle screw (my first), and the local ski shop replaced it 5 minutes for free.

Do check all screws periodically.  I lost a buckle ladder (the "teeth" thingamabob, quickly replaced at ski shop with a generic one), and I've seen a kid I coach with a loose screw for the bottom of the spring mechanism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have little over 125 days and I had no issues but I feel like longest buckle cable is about to break for rear boots (got spare ready) but who knows. I changed the rear bolt that holds the spring mechanism to lower shell with new bolt and locking washer as those were getting loose. No issues anymore. Shell has wear and tear but still in great condition!! Best boots I have owned

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2021 at 2:27 AM, lonbordin said:

I am on my second pair of 951. only out of curiosity i have switched to wc 120 before last season.

1st pair - approx 60 days on them, no issues at all. only slightly enlarged long cable. 

2nd pair - approaching 60 days now and guess what ? enlarged long cable, no other issues.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lurch said:

@Puhutes any plans on a step-in compatible model? 

Funding has always been our biggest problem. There are tons of projects we have in the pipeline... A smaller shell, A larger shell, junior boards and binding, etc. But without any kind of financing to actually make the moulds or start the projects, we can't roll out anything new. As you can imagine, the whole C19 situation has hit us (and many other production companies) pretty hard. We do have many ideas for a normal and a step in binding, but we will have to wait for some kind of world economic turn around really soon or we will see a lot of favorite companies disappear. We are okay at the moment because we are tiny, but there are others who are having a really hard time right now. So please think of and pray for the whole industry to come out of this. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/20/2021 at 7:17 PM, b.free said:

Well, I would say 120 ski boots will be stiffer due to construction of the boots. But, MS 120 are stiff and they are stiffer than UPZ RCR. And they are holding up great.

If it withstand @b.free’s abuse (strong rider), height/weight then it is definitely well made. 😆 

• Like 2

On 3/7/2021 at 2:16 PM, yamifumi said:

If it withstand @b.free’s abuse (strong rider), height/weight then it is definitely well made. 😆 

Yep, with 6.5' and 230 lbs, I definitely test these boots hard and so far only one cable on rear leg broke and paint on the springs cracked. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Impressions after first full day on MS WC: 

• Wow, comfortable!   Never had to unbuckle.   
  • Very responsive laterally.   I can throw down with less effort on my part. I did find I needed to be more mindful on softer snow to keep turns from going terminal.   
  • The flex is more "hinge-like" when compared to Deeluxe+BTS
  • Spring adjustments have a much more profound effect than on Deeluxe+BTS.  I was easily able to tweak on-hill to get to a happy fore-aft flex
  • I'm gonna be doing some similar binding setup adjustments that @Jack M and others did - reducing or losing outward cant, reducing the angle gap between the feet, possibly reducing stance width by a hair. 
  • I might also increase stance angles a bit in general due to the lateral responsiveness
  • Zero heel lift on one foot, very small amount on the other, should be able to eliminate with liner tweaks.   I had an annoying amount of heel lift with Deeluxe.
  • B shell has similar interior and bail-to-bail dimensions as Deeluxe 25MP shell.  Maybe a couple mm longer inside the shell and a more sensibly shaped toe area.  
  • The ledge on the heel is higher than on Deeluxe - I did have to back off the shoulder bolts on the heel bails of my Sidewinders two turns to make ingress and egress smooth.

I am using the Palau liners from my Deeluxes, and swapped out the MS top straps for Booster straps.

Will report back after I've tweaked more and gotten used to them. 

Edited by Mike T
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

never mind I used my own two eyes to read the other posts to answer my questions. However what size f2 bindings would one use for the c shell?

thank you!

Medium. I can use both medium and large on D shell

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Thanks for the tips guys. I’m going to follow suit with BWD and get the ST 100 version. I’ve never wanted anything stiffer than my rc10s so I think that will be the ticket.  @b.free you think that’ll be good? Im about 30lbs lighter than you but I feel like we ride with similar intensity. 

I believe you need 120. I know even lighter people who loves their 120s. Just play with the springs. I even ride them in pow and they are fine. Up to you man, best idea is to wear them all, ST and 120s, try for yourself and see what you like most.