Note to New Members ×

Ancient Equipment in Alpine Snowboarding...

trailertrash

21 hours ago, dgCarve said:

My experience is that new equipment sometimes even makes you wonder how board even turns (metal, VSC, different flex patters, sophisticated board profile, etc). And sometimes this actually can degrade your technique. Older boards usually respond to your inputs in very predictable manner without any surprises from advanced new tech. I almost feel that if you want to perfect your technique, you have to ride from time to time older boards. I do ride my Burton Alp quite often... 🙂 

Great/interesting points!  
Variety is key/spices to life.  

Filter out the noise/unnecessary input otherwise you will get spank on old gear.  On new gear it’s much more forgiving.

It’s so cool that We have never meet in real life but feel like We shared many Similar view points and approaches when it comes to carving.

you do put it in a much better way than I ever could.

• Like 1

This morning I rode a, new to me, 20 years old Nidecker Escape. It was actually awesome for the conditions we had. Yes, it could be even better if it had a bit of nose decamber, but I don't think it was holding me back... Or that I was holding the sport back... 

I still ride that Rad-Air Pinkerman Extreme from the above thread, and a Riot Supercarve 180, pimped with a UPM mount Bomber BBP mechanism plate. (older boards can really improve with a plate on top) Both are great rides and will fly with me to Central Otago this winter, nestled inside my board box, next to a Kessler KST 162 & a Coiler Nirvana Energy Torsion+ 174. New and Old together. Good designs age well.

Edited by SunSurfer

3 hours ago, BlueB said:

This morning I rode a, new to me, 20 years old Nidecker Escape. It was actually awesome for the conditions we had. Yes, it could be even better if it had a bit of nose decamber, but I don't think it was holding me back... Or that I was holding the sport back... 

luv the original escapes, ive got 4 of them

On 1/31/2020 at 3:47 PM, dgCarve said:

My experience is that new equipment sometimes even makes you wonder how board even turns (metal, VSC, different flex patters, sophisticated board profile, etc). And sometimes this actually can degrade your technique. Older boards usually respond to your inputs in very predictable manner without any surprises from advanced new tech. I almost feel that if you want to perfect your technique, you have to ride from time to time older boards. I do ride my Burton Alp quite often... 🙂 

Recently I went back and watched some of the footage of the 1998 Olympics.  I thought it was pretty obvious the old tech equipment was unforgiving and a liability for many of those racers.  You can see them sometimes fighting to pull the board out of a stuck arc.

https://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/topic/49141-the-first-olympics-nagano-1998/

• Like 2

I just rode a Sims Burner 197, for the first time ever.  Just prior to riding, the board was given just about the highest quality tune obtainable.  It's also a fine example, seemingly not having been ridden all that much and apparently stored well.

The Burner is absolutely every bit as interesting to me as a Kessler or any other newer tech board that I have ridden.  Just not the same or really comparable, at all.  Within a few days of riding the Kessler and the Burner, I also rode a Jones Stormchaser 152, a Tanker 187 (Rocker), a Pogo Impact 168 and an older Tanker 182 (highly cambered) with Kevlar Honeycomb core.

To me, it's whatever board you (or I) are feeling is right at the moment.  I sometimes choose the wrong board, for sure.  That is when I go to the car or my locker and switch.