Note to New Members ×

What kind of board bag should I use for Air travel?

mikemcse

What kind of board bag is everyone using? I need one that is suitable for Air travel and will hold a few carving boards and binders up to 190 cm.

I found a few like the burton wheelie 180 but it is probably too small and other offerings from dakine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

MC

Well you can use soft-sided bags, but as someone who lives in a place which pretty much means I have to fly whenever I board on snow, they don't last long. My garage is lined with old Burton Wheely bags - they are top of the range gear and they're not very good. Even protecting the board edges and a lot of careful work with Duct tape means they don't last a season in general.

A few years ago I just got fed up with buying those things and bought a "sport tube" from America. They delivered it here at some enormous expense, but you can get three boards and snowboard clothing in there at under 32Kgs and it's bomb proof. In a few hard seasons the baggage handlers have dented the corners, and the TSA have clipped the lock, but it's still going strong.

Disadvantages: putting the two ends together requires some dexterity and a little practice. Getting stuff out ed route is not very easy.

Guest Randy S.

I've been pretty pleased with my DaKine Dually. It holds boards up to 200cm. Having wheels is key. I have a custom made bag for my bigger board that is really great (padded everywhere plus dividers), but it doesn't have wheels which makes getting around the airport challenging unless you get a cart.

The custom one came from a company called Glissade in MN. Nice product.

Here's a link to another thread where I first posed this question.

The Double Ski Sporttube is great if you only want to carry carving boards. If you want to put a pow board in there, it will probably not be wide enough.

Get a double-SKI SporTube http://www.sportube.com/pages/skis_two_pair.htm

The ski model can expand more in length then the snowboard version.

With two boards, I mount both sets of bindings on the top board.

From Northwest Airlines - Ski Equipment:

Hard shell cases are recommended when checking your ski equipment. A liability release form must be signed for plastic/soft ski bags.

I've ofthen thought about priority mailing my board 2 days ahead of time to the resort (reasonable if under 170cm), and packing my boots and bindings with me. Might make the traveling easier/lighter. Almost got into a fistfight with baggage check a few years pre 9/11. They hassled me bigtime. Wouldn't want to go that route again nowadays.

It looks like three votes for the 2 pair sporttube. Thanks for the links and advice. It looks solid enough and I like the idea of a hard plastic case instead of soft cordura. I measured my widest board and its 23 cm I also like the fact that the length is adjustable up to 207 cm. If you put 2/3 boards in the 2 pair sport tube will they fit together well?

thanks again

MC

Originally posted by Randy S.

I've been pretty pleased with my DaKine Dually. It holds boards up to 200cm. Having wheels is key. I have a custom made bag for my bigger board that is really great (padded everywhere plus dividers), but it doesn't have wheels which makes getting around the airport challenging unless you get a cart.

The custom one came from a company called Glissade in MN. Nice product.

Here's a link to another thread where I first posed this question.

The Double Ski Sporttube is great if you only want to carry carving boards. If you want to put a pow board in there, it will probably not be wide enough.

Time to upgrade to the Dakine Concourse Double. It used to be 200 cm but I think it will be 195 cm next season. A few world cup racers I know use this bag. It holds up well and allows more stuffing than you get with hard case.

I bought a double ski model Sport Tube this year, and I am really pleased with it. I run a layer of duct tape around the join because I am insecure about what happens if the pin gets taken out in security and not put back right! I don't want to get the thing back in two pieces!

Seriously though has anyone had a Sport Tube ever come apart travelling?

It's a great unit, and the wheels work well too.

John

I brought back 5 boards in my Sport Tube from SES. It weighed about 52 lbs but nobody said anything. The tube got a little beat up but the boards were fine. I talked to one guy who said security stuck the pin in the shoulder strap hole after looking in the tube, he was able to catch it before it went on the conveyer or might have been ugly. Now I worry about that happening to mine. It's also easy to put the pin just through the outer tube and miss the inner one. I can see 5 boards out on the tarmack with a couple of gorillas trying to put everything back together.

When I checked in at Aspen after SES, they made me remove the duct tape, they opened the Sport Tube and then struggled to put the pin back in properly and then they used "security inspected" tape to seal it back together. The whole time I was peering theough the "no entry" door to make sure it went back together! I wouldn't get that oportunity in a big airport, but maybe in a big airport they would just x-ray the thing!

John

Once while flying home from whistler, Jetsgo (the canadian airline that just went bankrupt and screwed a lot of people) made me sign a waiver of liability because my boards were "improperly packed" - in a well padded, almost new burton wheelie bag.

Based on this, the hard case is probably your best bet if you can put up the money. Not only will it protect the board, but it also might help protect your rights to a claim against the airline.

Derek

www.carveitup.net

I love my sport tube and I had no trouble fitting 2 boards-stacked on top of each other in one. I got very sick of my Burton board bag, esp. when I watched my husband very easily pull his sport tube around in the airport and over icy sidewalks. My boots easily fit in the sport tube-I got the series 3 size- and my snowblades and ski boots fit, too. Plus, it's a good seat when you are waiting for the resort shuttle