Note to New Members ×

Intel heels on Atomic Backlands

z_in_nyc

I just ordered some Atomic Backlands to try as a lightweight alternative to my UPZ ATBs for free riding (no splitboarding). I’d love to chop off the rear foot heel and replace w an intec heel because I really value the step in convenience. Has anyone done anything like that?! Put an intec heel on an AT boot? I realize it’s an extreme mod, but if the boot frame can handle it, then I should be good. Would appreciate any advice before I start sawing...

my most commonly used setup is a Korua stealth w f2 carve rs bindings. 

Edited by z_in_nyc

Thanks folks.

@pokkis That sounds beyond my DIY skills. I’d also want something that’s been tested for a step-in mechanism, just to be safe. Maybe there’s a way to repurpose the intec internals...? Or is there an example of a reliable DIY step in solution?

@b0ardski do you mean that there wouldn’t be a thick enough plastic heel left for a secure hold onto the intec heel after I cut away material? I could leave a little more plastic there and just have a higher heel. I’ll have a look when i get the boots. 

On 9/21/2019 at 10:20 AM, z_in_nyc said:

I’d love to chop off the rear foot heel and replace w an intec heel because I really value the step in convenience.

One of the many advantages of the Backland is that it's a viable boot with roughly half the boot board ramp of Intec compatible shells.

Maybe you don't care about such nuance. Maybe you should. Either way, put a few hours on the new boots and see how you stand with lower heels. Might be you value the convenience of a more centered and relaxed stance more than the convenience of step-in bindings.

• Like 1