Note to New Members ×

RIP Father of Snowboarding

Jack M

i used ad block/uBlock Origin.
Lots of time for paywall/adBlock-Blocker:  we can go to right click view element; select the <div> and deleted it.
Doesn't always work but this one work like a charm.  disable JavaScript is another way.
Anyone remember lynx(text based browser)... curl is another fun way to read webpage.

13627986_ScreenShot2019-08-02at4_31_22PM.thumb.png.a8d95e318856e807db6d25e7166b8fd2.png

18 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

Having had Snurfers...poppen probably was the father of modern snowboarding, yet maybe Tom Sims was one of the Sons of modern Snowboarding, along with Jake and some others over in Europe... 

R.I.P. Sherman Poppen a true pioneer. My younger brothers had Snurfers in 1968.

But softbootsurfer, lets not leave Dimitrije Milovich out of "the sons of modern snowboarding". Way ahead of Tom and Jake in the boards he was making.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I was sad to hear that Sherman Poppen passed, but glad it didn't go unnoticed by the major media outlets. 

Growing up Snurfing with friends was fantastic. Hiking out across snowy golf courses and riding in the moonlight was a totally different vibe than where we are today, but I'm not complaining. I love the new technology (hardboots, duh), and still appreciate the simple fact we have lift access on "ski" hills. 

I sent Sherman this email on Christmas day, 2015:

Dear Sherman,
I want to thank you for bringing joy to the world in the form of the Snurfer. 
The gift you made for your daughter 50 years ago has also made a positive impact on my life, the lives of my friends, and now our children as well. 
As I gather with family counting my blessings, your name came up in conversation and prompted me to send this long-overdue note. 
Merry Christmas,
Mike Tokar
Yardley, PA
Snurfing with a smile since 1973.

As an old Snurfer Fan Boy, I was thrilled to get this short reply a couple weeks later:

Thanks Mike..l wish you a fantastic 2016....Sherm

Sherman Poppen
Sent from my iPad

pow4ever - thanks for posting that video.  It was great to learn about roots going back that far, and see they're still riding the same way for so many years.

Think snow!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...