Note to New Members ×

return of the asym!

bobdea

I was at Eastern Boarder today and I was talking to one of the guys there and get this, Santa Cruz makes asym jib decks.

I guess the sidecut is a little tighter on the heelside edge.

He said that they ride great for their intended purpose(park and rails).

Cool. I've been thinking asym was better since about 1993 when I had an Aggression Tarquin (And 1994 or 95 when I had a Nitro Diablo).

I'm now convinced that symmetrical is better for skinny boards and high stance angles, but I still think asym makes sense really-low-angle stances and duck stances.

I'm now convinced that symmetrical is better for skinny boards and high stance angles

It makes sence and I've never tried a skinny asymmetrical board. The only skinny asymmetrical board I ever saw was the one made by snowblind and I doubt anybody here has tried that one.

I have been playing with the idea of ordering a custom made asymmetrical and skinny board (like the cookie cutter version by snowblind), but I'm afraid it'd turned out to be a huge and pricy experiment/mistake.

"The interesting about these is that'll the same board will work goofy or regular since it's a twin tip..."

hehe that's funny to think about, although wouldn't the wrong side have a tighter radius? I think they're making them without any radial setback on either side, just having the heelside have a tighter radius

I'd bet if they designed a board with radial setback, snowboarders in the park wouldn't like it since switch would be awkward

if you tell them something is better and market it well, they will like it

look at Forum snowboards

for jibbers you put a picture of a pro dressed like 50 cent in a ad and it sells or alternatly some punk rock type bleeding and the kids are lining up at the local shop to get their decks

For the skiers remember in the 90s when skis all said things VAS, TRS, XCZ, Dual Tech and all sorts of other crap most of which did nothing or was just another name for something that all skis have like fiberglass

I do however think that asyms could be useful for some people and that they could work well for some things

Originally posted by CarvCanada

"The interesting about these is that'll the same board will work goofy or regular since it's a twin tip..."

hehe that's funny to think about, although wouldn't the wrong side have a tighter radius? I think they're making them without any radial setback on either side, just having the heelside have a tighter radius.

The twin-tip design, with no toe/heel offset, works fine with either foot forward. Just put the tighter sidecut under your heels. Don't worry about which end of the board is which, because they're exactly the same. :)

Both of my old asym freeride boards were shaped that way.

Wouldn't it be cool to build a custom 200cm. asym. freecarve board. Maybe bigger, like 210cm. Massive archs.

Tinkler Designs? Oh, just dreaming.

Remember Chris Roach in Snowboarder in Excile? He rode a Santa Cruz with asym. cut nose and tail. That was 1990.

And the new freerides from Capita have "notched-out" twin-tips.

yea, I've had two Diablos also.