Note to New Members ×

USASA and SafeSport beware

TVR

I warned about this earlier, and USASA now has mandated SafeSport training for competitors to get a USASA membership. I don't think people realize what this actually means.

For anyone who won't need any form of background clearances, you can ignore this. For anyone who might need such a clearance, you are just one hillside infraction from not being able to work. Here is why:

With Safesport, go to the home page (https://safesport.org/) and then go to the Report online section. You will see the section where as you can do an anonymous report if you feel like it. It states "You may report anonymously by omitting your identifying information. " where you report. Please be aware, you are one pissed off skier away from being labeled a sex offender for months if not permanently. When you cut someone off, board past them too fast, or if anyone decides they sim[ply don't like boarders, they can report you anonymously. As previous examples state (https://www.3wiresports.com/articles/2018/8/19/the-scarlet-safe-sport-letter) this process to clear, and you takes months or more and many thousands of dollars to correct it, if at all. Anyone needing to do any form of background check should think twice about joining USASA, and if they are over 18, due to this new requirement, this will apply to you. I am warning all who might think of competing, as once this happens, even once found innocent, this will haunt you for the rest of your days.

I regret having to retire from racing USASA. I didn't want to be forced to go to the beer leagues. This saddens me greatly. The risk, however, from someone retaliating by filing an anonymous report is simply too great as I pass background checks regularly with my job.

I get many may think this won't happen to them. There are many documented instances in history where those who believed it couldn't happen to them ended up on the wrong side of the law. Don't let this happen to you, and I will be passing this on as you should be very aware and afraid. If competitors need this, why not the general public who buys a ticket? I am to push for that to prove the absurdity of this requirement, but am retiring myself from USASA racing until this is rescinded.

Sorry for the bad news and how this will affect our beloved sport.

UPDATE:

Michael (president) from USASA seems a really good guy. Finding it hard to blame them, as they seem caught in the middle. I am going to try to get the anonymous reporting aspect removed, as this is where my concern stems from. It seems, USASA sees my point and I will talk with them beginning of the week. In the interim, I will look to see how to get that specific rule changed and this may all solve itself.

• Like 2

On the other side of the coin, I think it's good that coaches and competitors are getting this training, specifically so they are aware of the mandatory reporting regulations. People like Larry Nassar shouldn't remotely have a place they can engage in their activities making sure everyone knows that it is their job to report stuff like that is crucial to extinguishing those spaces. Kids deserve to be protected, and I didn't think twice about taking this course for my level 100, or again when they mandated it for athletes 18+. Anonymous reporting is key for providing that protection, a large portion of victims or witnesses to sexual abuse will not come forward if they have to identify themselves for fear of retribution and ostracization. 

So, in a fair or honest world, I would agree with you. The challenge is, in today's polarized politicized world, people no longer act fair or honest.

With the anonymous complaint system, the ideas of jurisprudence and the legal system this country was founded on can be subverted from the standing of innocent until proven guilty, to guilty unless able to prove innocence. Anyone who is a competitor now takes a huge risk if they require background checks as this system can permanently tarnish them in the name of retribution.

Competitors and coaches have a very different access to children and minors. While coaches can spend the one on one time that potentially could lead to the abuse, the competitors have no more access to children or minors than any other mountain pass holder. I have no objection to either the background checks or the requirements to coaches and coaching staff, but requiring this upon what essentially is the general public creates a risk that competator should fully understand and be aware of what this can mean to that individuals ability to work.