Note to New Members ×

New Donek Flux

I have been exchanging emails with Sean @ Donek over the past few days getting some details nailed down on a new board that I plan on buying prior to next season.  I have finally had it with my 06 Burton Baron and decided to go full on custom board this time around to get something I want.  So a little about me, I have been riding carving boards for over 20 years, my favorite board in my arsenal today is  2015 Coiler Nirvana 170.  I would like to have a board that is a little more all-mountain, which is why Sean is pointing me towards the Flux.  I am 6', 185 lbs., frequently ride in the midwest, with trips to the Rockies sprinkled in (where I spend most of my time in back country and hit good groomers).  I am thinking a 162 would be a good length, but I am curious of other people's thoughts on the waist width.  I got some new K2 Cinch bindings and 2019 Burton Photon (size 12) boots ready for it.  I was thinking of a starting stance angle in the back of 15 degrees, and front 20 degrees.  If I did my measurement rights, I would need about a 28.8 waist on the board to avoid toe/heel drag getting the board nearly vertical while laying out carves.  That width worries me a bit.  Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 4:44 PM, scottishsurfer said:

Im size 11US and ride an donek Incline 162 with a 29.5cm waist with angles +33/-3 to be honest the width isn't much to worry about just expect to be a bit more aggressive with your edge change if you still wanting it to be snappy 🙂

Great to know.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 10:10 AM, crobeck said:

I have been exchanging emails with Sean @ Donek over the past few days getting some details nailed down on a new board that I plan on buying prior to next season.  I have finally had it with my 06 Burton Baron and decided to go full on custom board this time around to get something I want.  So a little about me, I have been riding carving boards for over 20 years, my favorite board in my arsenal today is  2015 Coiler Nirvana 170.  I would like to have a board that is a little more all-mountain, which is why Sean is pointing me towards the Flux.  I am 6', 185 lbs., frequently ride in the midwest, with trips to the Rockies sprinkled in (where I spend most of my time in back country and hit good groomers).  I am thinking a 162 would be a good length, but I am curious of other people's thoughts on the waist width.  I got some new K2 Cinch bindings and 2019 Burton Photon (size 12) boots ready for it.  I was thinking of a starting stance angle in the back of 15 degrees, and front 20 degrees.  If I did my measurement rights, I would need about a 28.8 waist on the board to avoid toe/heel drag getting the board nearly vertical while laying out carves.  That width worries me a bit.  Thoughts?

I have had my Flux for the last 3 seasons.  It's a 168 with a 28 waist.  I am 6' and 190.  My shoe size is 11.  28.8 is not too big.  You could even go bigger if you plan to really lay out your turns.  I love my Flux.  I ride mine in soft boots as well.  I've been riding hardboots since 1990 and I prefer to be in hardboots on a carving board.  However, after spending 6 days on my Flux in Steamboat Spring this past February, if I could only keep one board from my quiver (I have it listed in my profile) it would be the Flux.

When you get your Flux you're going to be shocked at how wide it looks.  You'll also constantly get comments from others in lift lines about the board.

Its not too wide.  When you ride it you'll see.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 4:44 PM, scottishsurfer said:

Im size 11US and ride an donek Incline 162 with a 29.5cm waist with angles +33/-3 to be honest the width isn't much to worry about just expect to be a bit more aggressive with your edge change if you still wanting it to be snappy 🙂

Great to know.  Thanks!

Thanks Workshop!  That is what I was wanting to know!  You sound very much like myself, carving board riding since the early 90s.  I cant wait until the season starts!