Note to New Members ×

Which style do you prefer

bibo

I'm not keen on the carving machine style - seems a bit stiff-legged and bent over at the waist. I'm also not too keen on the extreme carving style, but maybe that's just because I can't do it.

If anything, I kinda like the style in the videos at http://minobong.com - it looks simple and functional to my inexpert eyes.

I'm pretty much a function over form sort of person.

is this b/c they are going so fast?

Hi Barry,

I am sure this is not b/c they are going so fast

Go to www.carvingmachine.com and

on first site go to Road of Carving then on Setting and Enter,

use google to translate to english,

there you can read they use completely strange settins, like

Binding angle Both feet together 54 degree

Binding cant Both feet together 6 degree

Binding lift quantity Both feet together it is not

Boots leaning forward angle Both feet together fixing (both feet together without leaning forward with 5 to lock, upright

state)

text with red letter are : both feet it locks together with 5. This is because it stands vertically on the board. Also these

both feet as for the person who does the setting which is not leaning forward angle are few, probably will be.

In addition, these both feet together without leaning forward angle a state where you say with respect to this setting, is

the very important part.

on picture you can see what they call "natural position"

cu, bibo

post-1788-141842202959_thumb.jpg

I prefer the style that lets me go the fastest with the most control. I couldn't get to the carving machine link you posted, but from the couple of pics you posted I think that they are missing a few things, and the ec guys are totally in the other direction of my snowboarding focus.

I think it's something different to like the style of someone you watch going down the slope and to like a style to perform yourselfe.

For me it's not possible to put into such narrow categories what I like and what I don't. I like watching anything pure and clean. This may be Jacques EC-Style, but also some totally different riding technique. I don't like any move, that doesn't belong to the carved turn essentially like the uphill arm up or any Albatros style. Even sudden moves of the legs to various directions during one turn look kind of wrong to me...

What I like when riding is not always the same. Some days i just want to feel edge pressure, another day maybe lay down as far as i can. But I always like to do one turn with one sequence of moves, while it feels like a mistake, if I have to start a second part of a turn, to correct my board's direction with some force, etc. steering and control is nice, reacting and trying to recover control isn't.

Tom

I like the style Patrice (extremecarving) uses when he isn't laying it completely out.

The push-pull/heavily-rotated style is probably the most graceful thing I've seen, on snow or off, ever. You can see it in a few shots in their last movie Lifted when he isn't sandblasting his face.

I followed him through the trees/powder once at the 2004 SES and he was still doing that: upper body pretty much gliding smoothly through the trees and the board sliding back and forth underneath. Sort of like if you took out all the "weighting/unweighting/edge transition" parts of carving and replaced them with "magic sauce."

can someone please explain how, when on heelside, at least one of the Japanese carvers has very straight legs but yet can touch the snow (w/out bending @ waist), is this b/c they are going so fast?

Very soft snow allows for very bad technique. The softer the snow, one can get away with butt hang and bending at the waist without ones edge sliding out from under them. The harder the snow the better your technique will have to be in order to make good non-skidding turns. The guy in Bibo's photo is one of the best examples I have seen of what I think is good technique. That dude may actually be able to hold a good edge on east coast ice. That is my style of riding, low as you can get at the end of the turn, almost until your kness hit your chest.

I have seen many Japanese style though I've yet to find most efficient carving....Atsushi Musashino was the coach of TeamEdge and even his carving wasn't that stylish(but his 180degrees turns and riding switch were awsome). I remember seeing Japanese Virus Demo clip that had some great carving but he wasn't using Japanese style though.

I like Pureboarding, EC and RaceCarving style that this site tought me....to me they are the most efficient way to carve. So basically I try to emulate these styles to build my own:D .....I know I still suck but still trying:D

Originally posted by Fleaman

I prefer the French style over the Asians. I think Patrice's compact body and grace beat the arms out albatross turns the Asians make.

If you're talking about Patrice from the Extremecarving website, he follows the Swiss style. The Swiss style has the shoulder parallel to the bindings. The French style is chest pointed towards the nose.

Here's an explanation of the difference between the two.

http://club-ski.web.cern.ch/club-ski/snowboard/tutor/frswiss.html

I don't know what style this is called, but is seems to be followed by a lot of BOL riders, including Bakai.

http://srino.com/stoked/clips/skiers.mov

I prefer the Swiss/Extremecarving style, because I can use the same style of riding on my alpine and freestyle boards. On a freestyle board with shallow angles, it would be hard to use any of the chest-facing-the-nose styles.

Guest Randy S.

French? Swiss? Asian? I like Greek - oh wait, that's a different forum discussion. :p

What about Asians like Peter Vu and Hiroshi Yamagishi doing the EC thing? What do you call that? Cross-breeding? Inbreeding? Carvebreeding?

I'm with Phil Fell on this one. Going fast and having fun.

Really though, isn't it just a matter of whatever makes you :D ?

I can't do any of those totally laid-out carves so its kind of a moot point with me.

I prefer the French style over the Asians. I think Patrice's compact body and grace beat the arms out albatross turns the Asians make.

Originally posted by Randy S.

French? Swiss? Asian? I like Greek - oh wait, that's a different forum discussion. :p

What about Asians like Peter Vu and Hiroshi Yamagishi doing the EC thing? What do you call that? Cross-breeding? Inbreeding? Carvebreeding?

I'm with Phil Fell on this one. Going fast and having fun.

Really though, isn't it just a matter of whatever makes you :D ?

I can't do any of those totally laid-out carves so its kind of a moot point with me.

Randy:

Thanks for being diplomatic and nipping this in the bud. Smells like a smidgen of Aryan preferrence (superiority) raising its ugly head. How do you do a laid out turn without sticking your arms out?

I think that nobody needs to adhere to a style or pick one over the other. In fact, if you are good enough, it's fun to be able to pull out a different style on different parts of the same run, or mix'em together - like linking tricks slopestyle or in the pipe. Learn to do it all then put it together into your own personal work of art. Bang some bumps, then whip into the trees, pop back out and layback on a high bank, rip into some fast slalom carves with a quiet upper body on the steep ice, then crank into five different styles of GS turns on the blue section, hit the table top and throw a mute grab, tailride through the loose snow on the edge of the trail, work the quarter-pipe like wall on that cruiser like it was a wave with bottom turns and slash backs, tail grab off the cat track knoll, flip around switch and throw in some gs carves then ollie a half cab off a mogul and tuck the last section to the bottom...it's STYLES (plural) and they are ALL GOOD!! Even in the same run.....SeeeeeeeeeeYa!

Thanks for being diplomatic and nipping this in the bud. Smells like a smidgen of Aryan preferrence (superiority) raising its ugly head. How do you do a laid out turn without sticking your arms out?

So what you are saying is if I like Apples over Oranges, I am being prejudice to the orange?

I prefer Patrice's style over the Carve Machine style. Is that a crime?

Patrice puts his uphill hand on the ground and the downhill hand on his hips. The other guys flail their arms around alot.

Not that I am perfect but to me, the EC style has more grace.

Guest Mark Jeangerard

Hmmm...

Me thinks I shall try a layback carve tomorrow. That would be a healside carve, rear hand reaching out over my head touching the snow.

Think it'll work? Anyone seen one?

Mark

Originally posted by Mark Jeangerard

Hmmm...

Me thinks I shall try a layback carve tomorrow. That would be a healside carve, rear hand reaching out over my head touching the snow.

Think it'll work? Anyone seen one?

Mark

I honestly think it would throw you out of the carve, into a slide

do you mean like a bert? rear hand down frontside? Ive done them SLIDING, but never tried it carving!