Note to New Members ×

Snow sticking to Top Sheet

jp1

Ok, It's 2005, you'd think by now someone would have figured out how to keep the snow from sticking to the Top Sheet.

I've tried pretty much everything I thought 'may' work, without much success.

Who has the Answer? Give it up, Please.

jp1

just look for some of that stuff that Clark Griswald (Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation) sprayed on the bottom of his snow disk. It sure made his disk go like a banshee, sparks and all!!! I believe it was a non-stick vegetable coating that Clark's company was introducing!! Hope this helps, which I doubt.

By the way, I use Rain-X on all my boards, and the only time it doesn't seem to work is when the snow is mushy and soft.

Guest Tim Tuthill

D-sub: There isn't enough of being it used to make a damn bit of difference. Remember water is a solvent and it breaks it down very quickly, therefore you gotta put more on.

right, but there are other, less potentially destructive compounds available

every little bit helps.

and...I highly doubt water actually breaks down rain-x into an inert form!

what about natural waxes...bees wax maybe? I should try that one

http://www.snowmax.com/products/snomax/

But as for wax..... zardoz not wax might work.

I have a bunch of auto waxes so I'll do a comparision of '

Meguairs #16 paste wax

Meguairs NXT cream wax

Meguairs NXT spray wax

Pinacle Souveran Paste wax

Turtle Wax hard Shell spray on

and I'll rub on some snowboard waxes by swix..

I'll tape off some squares and put some in each section.

I'll post up the results after I ride.

________

MONTANA MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Clark Grisewald was making a non-nutriative varnish to put on cereal to keep it from getting soggy in milk. Yeah, it made his saucer sled go wicked fast.

On a different note I've never had a problem with snow sticking to the top sheet of my board. Maybe it's the perfect Utah snow, the licence plates do say "greatest snow on earth".

Originally posted by philfell

Clark Grisewald was making a non-nutriative varnish to put on cereal to keep it from getting soggy in milk. Yeah, it made his saucer sled go wicked fast.

On a different note I've never had a problem with snow sticking to the top sheet of my board. Maybe it's the perfect Utah snow, the licence plates do say "greatest snow on earth".

how bout with **** sticking to your fur because it is getting pretty deep. Everybody knows Idaho has the best snow (when we have some).

Pardon the perhaps silly question, but why do you care if the snow sticks to the top? I've had a thin veneer of it stick on my boards, but in general it's thin enough that it doesn't affect riding, and I don't really care if people see the graphics on the topsheet. I found that jumping up and slamming the board, or better yet catching some air off a bump, gets most of the snow off.

I painted my TD2's to prevent snow from sticking on them -- having snow buildup on the binding or the boot is a bit of a pain. For that I've used cooking oil spray, WD40 works too, and now I'm experimenting with a day-glo marking paint, as seen on Scott Firestone's picture.

tom.

4159.jpg

Originally posted by tpalka

Pardon the perhaps silly question, but why do you care if the snow sticks to the top? I've had a thin veneer of it stick on my boards, but in general it's thin enough that it doesn't affect riding, and I don't really care if people see the graphics on the topsheet.

Heya Tom: depending on where you live and what kind of snow you get, it can actually make a difference. Out here in Tahoe, we get heavy, thick, and wet enough snow that if you have one of those magic snow-attracting topsheets like my Never Summer, you can actually get a layer of maybe 1-2" of snow glued onto your board that won't come off, and if it is really thick, it can add what feels like 15-20 pounds of weight to the board. Hard to estimate, but it is definitely more than the weight of the board and bindings itself.

• 1 year later...

well last year I tried a variety of things..

the car waxes.. well....

Meguiars #16...didn't work well and was banned for carcinogens

Meguairs NXT cream wax- worthless- perhaps worse with it.

Meguairs NXT spray wax- miserable

Pinacle Souveran Paste wax- no effect and expensive

Turtle Wax hard Shell spray on- no effect

and I'll rub on some snowboard waxes by swix.- f4 was expensive and did not work

Didn't try the Zardoz.

BUT THERE IS A LIKELY SOLUTION!

http://www.sliptape.net/WheretoBuy.htm

sliptape is a thin .025" thick sheet of what is likely p-tex with a super strong adhesive backing.

certainly coating yoru baord with this is much lighter than snow and will protect the tail of your Madd deck from the obnoxious kid behind you in line who likes to ski over your tail.

And you can wax it. I think a decent universal wax would be good for drier snow.....but for spring wet snow....nothing,...nothing ...beats... this used as a rub on. fast and easy to apply.

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/accessories/wax_rocket.cfm

JG

________

VERMONT MARIJUANA DISPENSARY