Jump to content
workshop7

I just might drop the hardboots.

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Colozeus said:

 

Wow, you must be putting some serious loads on it. Makes sense. 

The Talon Focus has 2 Boa coilers. One for the top of the foot (coiler is on the side of the boot)and one that starts at the top of the foot ending at the top of the boot. I’m tearing out the guides that are at the ankle articulation point on both feet. More so on my back foot. If you have seen Big Mario’s flat land 360 from last week where the ankle cuff pivot bolt failed, it’s not just an issue with softboots. Heavyweights like Mario and I do push the pedal pretty hard resulting in equipment failure. I’m currently working on shedding some pounds. Maybe I’ll get a few more days out of my gear before attrition or (gulp) catostrophic failure.

Edited by slopestar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 3:31 PM, slopestar said:

No one cares what boots I wear... 

 

I once saw a bumper sticker that said 'No one care that you tele'. I laughed all day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FrankNBeans said:

I once saw a bumper sticker that said 'No one care that you tele'. I laughed all day.

Been trying to get one of those for years! Don’t know who made them! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

I love my Burton Ion boots...then again I use 3 straps ...

Skis also carve...it is not just Speed and Edge Hold...single edge is a feeling they cannot get

Ion's, O-Drives and a third strap gets you pretty darn close. 👍  I still wouldn't turn things beyond 35 degrees, but with that combo on my Razor I almost forget I'm in soft boots...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kneel said:

Ion's, O-Drives and a third strap gets you pretty darn close. 👍  I still wouldn't turn things beyond 35 degrees, but with that combo on my Razor I almost forget I'm in soft boots...

No breakage on the highbacks? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobdea said:

No breakage on the highbacks? 

No.  But I also don't ride softboots that often.  Once, maybe twice a year?  Pow or post-pow soft groom is pretty much it.  Maybe this weekend if I can get motivated and this nor'easter cooperates. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Head rep seemed pretty stoked(of course) about next year's soft boot carve board. I wouldn't remember it's name after he pointed it out in the catalogue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, FrankNBeans said:

The Head rep seemed pretty stoked(of course) about next year's soft boot carve board. I wouldn't remember it's name after he pointed it out in the catalogue.

They lost me at hybrid camber and 1.5” setback... 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kneel said:

Ion's, O-Drives and a third strap gets you pretty darn close. 👍  I still wouldn't turn things beyond 35 degrees, but with that combo on my Razor I almost forget I'm in soft boots...

How do you lock your highback? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, daveo said:

How do you lock your highback? 

Same as the third boot strap. 1.5” x 24” Velcro strap through the cutout vertically down and around the heel ring.  Envision HD Velcro straps from amazon...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Kneel said:

Same as the third boot strap. 1.5” x 24” Velcro strap through the cutout vertically down and around the heel ring.  Envision HD Velcro straps from amazon...

Actually a great idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, slopestar said:

They lost me at hybrid camber and 1.5” setback... 

Yeah, it was mostly Greek to me. I think I lost him when I said the boutique snowboard builders should use piezoelectric components for dampening vs. titanal and honeycomb material for weight saving, like Head does w/ their skis. He then spent 20 minutes asking me if my girlfriend's Head boots are holding up. I don't think he was prepared to go off script.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kneel said:

Same as the third boot strap. 1.5” x 24” Velcro strap through the cutout vertically down and around the heel ring.  Envision HD Velcro straps from amazon...

Can you share a photo of your setup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JohnE said:

Can you share a photo of your setup?

Away for the weekend.  Will do when I return... 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a 3 strap with bolted High Back and different Burton binding parts...I make my own now and have for many years, with help from Burton...yea, I know what I like

No, you can't fold it down, so yes, I pay attention when getting off chairs with questionable clearance, I broke one of the Torques long ago and learned not to do that...the combination of a stiff highback, locked with a leather strap, as a complete assembly, totally moves the pressure point off the ankle, up the leg...meaning it has a constant pressure like a ski boot and not loaded only on the ankle, especially frontside turns...remember JG saying, thats Crazy! you have no ankle flex...actually there is Ankle flex, as the tightness of the top strap, the flex in the Highback all contribute to an overall forward flex...It's a choice OK, not for everyone, the mostly Hero snow here and Grooming allow it to work well for Carving...I think more like a skater or a surfer on a wave, not a gate type approach so roughly 200 days on this pair...If I lived where I needed HB, or Ran Gates, then I would use them...most of the Great SB riders on this site do not use or need these to Carve...

 

3 straps.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, softbootsurfer said:

This is a 3 strap with bolted High Back and different Burton binding parts...I make my own now and have for many years, with help from Burton...yea, I know what I like

No, you can't fold it down, so yes, I pay attention when getting off chairs with questionable clearance, I broke one of the Torques long ago and learned not to do that...the combination of a stiff highback, locked with a leather strap, as a complete assembly, totally moves the pressure point off the ankle, up the leg...meaning it has a constant pressure like a ski boot and not loaded only on the ankle, especially frontside turns...remember JG saying, thats Crazy! you have no ankle flex...actually there is Ankle flex, as the tightness of the top strap, the flex in the Highback all contribute to an overall forward flex...It's a choice OK, not for everyone, the mostly Hero snow here and Grooming allow it to work well for Carving...I think more like a skater or a surfer on a wave, not a gate type approach so roughly 200 days on this pair...If I lived where I needed HB, or Ran Gates, then I would use them...most of the Great SB riders on this site do not use or need these to Carve...

 

3 straps.jpg

I like the aesthetics of this set up also actually, looks sweet as with the black + brown leather. I like it a lot!!

I think in my resort, they wouldn't actually let you on the lift, though, have you ever had a resort deny you lift access?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The chairs at the two local resorts pass so close to the ground that a fixed highback would be shattered. If not at the bottom, definitely at the top. They have shattered bindings mounted to the sign reminding people to put their highbacks down. 

Unfortunately for him, Bob doesn't get to ride in Manitoba. He's stuck in Aspen for most of his days. His loss... 😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, the state Tram board, has a regulation for the clearance which is 20", I believe, typically here, there is no problem except after heavy snowfalls and sometimes, they just don't bother till it gets so low, they do something...I will simply push the board out front, when it is short on space. Once at Highlands years ago they said something, then said go ahead 😬

No problem up in Montucky either ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2019 at 3:02 PM, Kneel said:

I still wouldn't turn things beyond 35 degrees, but with that combo on my Razor I almost forget I'm in soft boots...

Any experience with the Razor in powder? I rode one for 4 years before jumping to hardboots and have been hanging onto it for the day I see powder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 7:02 PM, cbrkid1981 said:

there are a couple super stiff bindings I have I have found that Now O-Drives, Burton Diodes, and the old Nidecker carbons are bomb. 

also, I was just riding my new to me SG Soul today with the Nows and Jones MTB boots.  Great ride for sure.  

SG Soul is an amazing board on hardpack, pow, and slush. Looks funny but it’s a quiver of one. Not as good at carving as a hardboot rig but damn close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fish said:

SG Soul is an amazing board on hardpack, pow, and slush. Looks funny but it’s a quiver of one. Not as good at carving as a hardboot rig but damn close.

SG Soul Titan 159 might be the one. 

A lot of the Japanese girls I know ride them and love them! My partner has a 154, it is her first board and she's doing fine on it. I think that shows how just friendly it is! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of Souls...

This was a particularly hard day at the office for us, as you can imagine. 

Yh8XiTt.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Announcements



  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...