Note to New Members ×

Coiler Update

daveo

1 hour ago, dredman said:

What do you mean by this?  

Good day sir. Hope you don't think I'm bashing Coiler, that would be preposterous absurdity!

It's a general comment based on the fact that I know Slapa and I know how he feels about his Oxess.

I just think that when one has found something they are happy with, switching to something new presents a risk due to the associated uncertainty. But some people find happiness in experimenting and perhaps he is one of them, but maybe he is not. So the choice is uncertainty of a Coiler or certainty of the Oxess- given my risk averse nature, I know what I would pick. I'm all for optimising decisions and minimising the probability of failure- one might even think I'm a statistician or something idk.

My Coiler spot is booked for August. Going to be an all mountain hardboot plow through everything and float on anything beast. I think Bruce does this kind of board the best out of everyone. For my carve and race boards, I'll continue to stick to Oxess. I think Marcel does those best.

Edited by daveo

On 5/18/2019 at 11:11 PM, Emdee406 said:

What do you find the pluses are? Im willing to have my mind changed  

I’ve gone for carbonium in the past, to withstand lift line abuse 😤

I have ptex tops on my Kesslers and Winterstick.  I think it adds some dampness.  Traditional topsheets, even "carbonium" aren't doing much of anything for you, they're just plastic protective covers.  May as well get some functional value out of the layer that's covering your fiberglass or metal.

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 12:58 PM, Jack M said:

I have ptex tops on my Kesslers and Winterstick.  I think it adds some dampness.  Traditional topsheets, even "carbonium" aren't doing much of anything for you, they're just plastic protective covers.  May as well get some functional value out of the layer that's covering your fiberglass or metal.

Thanks @Jack M and @daveo.Interesting... I have been using the Carbonium as exactly that, for the sometimes brutal Utah lift lines. 

When you wax the topsheet, how physically do you do it? Rub on? Iron? Super soft wax or super hard? 🤷🏾‍♂️

35 minutes ago, Emdee406 said:

Thanks @Jack M and @daveo.Interesting... I have been using the Carbonium as exactly that, for the sometimes brutal Utah lift lines. 

When you wax the topsheet, how physically do you do it? Rub on? Iron? Super soft wax or super hard? 🤷🏾‍♂️

It's really not a big deal the top, it's just cosmetic. Just wax it like the base. Cheapest colourless wax. Will last forever

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey has anybody heard from Bruce recently?  I have a summer build slot and have been trying to get in touch with Bruce for a few weeks, but radio silence.  Last year he went on a big kite sailing vacation in the summer, so he may be doing that, but thought I'd check.  LMK thanks!

5 hours ago, pow4ever said:

Thank you for the update on Bruce!
Got my Aug build spot as well 🙂 
What to get....  Anyone ask Bruce to build something based on the famous Kessler 168?

I have an ECVC 168 12/13 and it's an amazing board.  Highly recommended.  👍👍

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/20/2019 at 11:34 AM, lonbordin said:

Interesting... A Bruce and Mark Fawcett collaboration... Interesting indeed. Is Slice the next Nirvana?

MFRjYWS.jpg

I was looking back  at this thread as I am up for a Dec build and wanted to refresh my memory of what was being built. Somehow I missed this Mark Fawcett/Coiler, design/build. Then I put 2+2 together when I saw slice on the tail here and Shred's new asym (slice) sidecut Mini Monster.

I met a guy who claimed to be Mark Fawcett at the Buck Hill races last year and he asked about the Thirst SF I was riding. As I explained about the asym sidecut and core and how it was not like the old asym boards (blah, blah blah)...he was just nodding his head. Then he told me how he had been designing and testing similar design concepts in the past (presumably his own personal Burners?). It was all quite familiar to him and he went on to explain to me why it works.

He neglected to say that he was collaborating with Bruce on a new board design incorporating these concepts!

Does anyone know who's board this is or what the specs are...and why it wasn't at MCC for demo?

1 hour ago, Haus said:

Bruce built me one last year. His hieroglyphics calls it the "MFS" (Mark Fawcett special?).

Mark coaches the canadian Paralympic team. Pretty sure Bruce is/has  supplied  the team with boards....

He was coaching the Alpine team last December when I met him. Have no idea if he'll be there again this year.

1 hour ago, lowrider said:

Call Bruce and talk about it. If he doesn't respond it's possible he's on the snow testing some new builds, limited runs available at some local hills. Golf course is now covered in snow. I'll try and assist with your sleuthing it's a goofy asym and Mark rides goofy.

I'm waiting to hear back from him. Glad to hear he's likely out testing and not goofing off. And good to know you're keeping an eye on him.

I actually want to get something along the lines of Shred's new, improved Monster. Though, now  I'd also like a hardboot version of this MFS Slice. Yeah, like Shred's Mini Monster. Last I talked to Bruce, we had moved my summer build slot to Dec to allow for more on-snow testing. So, I'll assume he's out doing research.

On 12/5/2019 at 2:27 PM, Haus said:

Bruce built me one last year. His hieroglyphics calls it the "MFS" (Mark Fawcett special?).

Mark coaches the canadian Paralympic team. Pretty sure Bruce is/has  supplied  the team with boards....

I have one too mine isn’t asym though, regardless, best softboot carver I’ve been on that comes in a small package