Note to New Members ×

What protective equipment do I need for racing?

daveo

Going to be doing some race training next season. Some sales and stuff are on now thinking of getting myself some protective gear for that specific purpose.

Apart from the usual protective stuff I wrap myself up in, all I can think of is:

1. Shin plastic things

2. Forearm plastic things 

3. Back of hand foamy things on gloves

Any suggestions? Perhaps I only need shins? 

Edited by daveo

While it's not ski racing as @Alexey points out most North America racing happens on ski gates not stubbies which drastically changes what armor you wear.

Stubbies = shin guards, goggles, and a solid helmet

Ski Gates = Shin guards, forearm guards, padded gloves, vest, goggles, and a full face helmet (at least a chin guard).

9 hours ago, daveo said:

Thanks @Alexey, this is what I noticed the wc riders using. Just shins. But I was always scared to injure myself.

I never touch the snow with my hands btw 🙂

@lonbordin ah right! That's good info. We are using stubbies thankfully!!! Sounds scary to use full on ski gates. 

Thanks both. 

if its just single poles the full size gates arn't to bad to hit to be honest, just need to make sure if you do strike them your either wearing carbon knuckle gloves or hit them with your forearm at an angle so the glance off. My local slope has both stubies and full poles so i have to ride both. Normally if the dude that runs the ski racing is on lift duty he'll stick out a stubby course for me otherwise its full poles for ski racing.

s7jDLZx.jpg