Note to New Members ×

Updated: Carving megastore store in Kanda

daveo

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, daveo said:

From the hill:

• Stiffeners like the Powerride are big in Japan, but I didn't see them in person in this shop, though

How are these being used by the softbooters? Over the shell tongue and under the laces? Or between liner and shell? How do they keep them from moving around?

EDIT: Found the answer. Goes between the liner and shell.

Edited by Mig
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2019 at 7:02 PM, Mig said:

How are these being used by the softbooters? Over the shell tongue and under the laces? Or between liner and shell? How do they keep them from moving around?

EDIT: Found the answer. Goes between the liner and shell.

this looks like the Burton RAF kind of insert for Driver X, that they had some time ago.

I would assume that this powerwing is only for softies?

I didnt like the RAF inserts, but these look more solid though.

3 hours ago, slapos said:

this looks like the Burton RAF kind of insert for Driver X, that they had some time ago.

I think I had those on my drivers about 10 years ago. I used them but can't remember much about them.

8 hours ago, slapos said:

Different then what the RAF where initially designed for as they were made to fit over the tongue shell. From what I remember reading on the website, the japanese ones are designed to fit between the liner and boot shell, and they work with soft and hard snowboard boots, and ski boots.

5 hours ago, daveo said:

I think I had those on my drivers about 10 years ago. I used them but can't remember much about them.

They were still included with the Driver X up until a 3 or 4 years ago. I absolutly love them and they make a big difference for the boot flex. I wish they would have produced them in different flexes to fine tune the boots. I still use them in the newer Driver X boots, but now put them Inside the shell between the liner and the internal ankle lacing.

1 hour ago, Mig said:

Different then what the RAF where initially designed for as they were made to fit over the tongue shell. From what I remember reading on the website, the japanese ones are designed to fit between the liner and boot shell, and they work with soft and hard snowboard boots, and ski boots.

I think there was special pockets on. the tongue for the RAF insert. 

its a cool concept, however I remember them biting into my foot, so that's why I was not so keen on them. 

cheers

Lukasz

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, slapos said:

its a cool concept, however I remember them biting into my foot, so that's why I was not so keen on them. 

cheers

Lukasz

Yep that's what I remember. Don't think they dug into me, though. 

Edited by daveo

10 minutes ago, slapos said:

cheers

Lukasz

Yes, there was pockets at the top and bottom of the tongue to put the RAF in. Never had the biting problem you had with them in all my years using (which is since they came out, actually). They just stiffened the boot without any discomfort for me. Even now, I put them directly on my liner inside the shell and only feel a little extra pressure on toeside turns near the beginning of my toes. But not enough to ruin my day and could be easily fixed my reshaping/shortening them.

Edited by Mig

• 6 months later...

A bit off topic.

Back in the late '80s the Victoria conglomerate purchased Breckenridge just as the Japanese Bubble Economy was beginning to burst, starting a malaise that continues to this day.  Victoria was heavily promoting Breck to the domestic market, trying to entice them to fly across the planet to make a visit.

Sometime in 1990 (or 89?) I walked into a recording studio in Tokyo with a couple of other Americans to do some voice over work.  It turned out to be a TV commercial spot for Victoria.  It had been filmed at Breck but voices needed to be dubbed in.  At this time I barely knew what Victoria was and had never been on snow myself.  I was young and broke.  All I know is that for a very brief time in the studio I was paid around $400 and I immediately went out and bought a new stereo and VCR.  During the following winter I saw the TV commercial a couple of times.

I thought that I would never see the commercial again, but as luck would have it, some weirdo put it on YouTube.