Note to New Members ×

Rally at the Thunder Dome 2019 - Feb 23 - 24 , Berkshire East

WhiteHorse

A huge thanks to everyone for the great time!

Special thanks to Michael for doing the clinic. It’s been so long for me that I forgot the basics. Great job Michael, Joerg would be proud of you! I vote to get you a PB jacket!

Brian, Ween, Robin, Jimmy, Brad, and Michael were awesome, thanks!

Glad to hear you’re ok Brad. The last time I was at the Beast, I had to be taken down the mountain on the red death sled to first aid. 

Edited by ken
  • Like 2

Thanks for the locals for showing me around, and also thanks @Jack M for keeping the site running and helping like minded people ride together.  It was a very fun day, meeting old and new faces, very friendly crew!  Take care Brad, I did not witness the collision, but glad you are OK.

Condition was good firm grip condition in the morning and late afternoon, soft and grip as the temperature comes up.  Matter of fact, it was great condition given the weather.  The best thing was the lack of crowd on the hill.  None of the 10 minutes wait for 5 turns before hitting crowd sort of thing, and it was on a weekend.  Overall good trail width, consistency and coverage.  Mountain layout was great too, I did not have to skate at all to get to places.  Highly recommended for people around my area.  Let's keep an eye out for @jtslalom post on Jiminy Peak, and may be a mini rally again at Jiminy Peak before season ends!  Condition probably won't be as good, but it will be fun as a group of cavers sharing laughter and stories.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SnowboardingJ said:

Let's keep an eye out for @jtslalom post on Jiminy Peak, and may be a mini rally again at Jiminy Peak before season ends!  Condition probably won't be as good, but it will be fun as a group of cavers sharing laughter and stories.

Jimmy, it was wonderful to carve with you again. You have an amazing aggressive, yet fluid style. I love that. 

Please keep us updated when you plan a trip to Jiminy Peak! 

Im totally down with timing it for good condish and weather but @ 55 Im so far outta riding shape Im probably only good for like 6 runs my  first day out. I know if I push it much more than that and Im gonna be paying. If you guys understand that my day will be short Im cool with doing a beast mid week or something. I do want to get some turns in this season, I forgot how great it feels to kill some arcs.  Missing you R I 

Edited by Bobby Buggs
  • Like 4

Today Friday 3/1/2019:
Snow/condition is great; come get some.
Some freshie, lots of nice cord(soft-ish but hold edge. deeeeep trench), tiny bit of ice patch/scratching surface.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3426775764

I will be at Beast Tomorrow(3/2/19) and Sunday(3/3/2019).  Hope my legs hold up.
Might be a short-ish day on Sunday

1 hour ago, pow4ever said:

Today Friday 3/1/2019:
Snow/condition is great; come get some.
Some freshie, lots of nice cord(soft-ish but hold edge. deeeeep trench), tiny bit of ice patch/scratching surface.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3426775764

I will be at Beast Tomorrow(3/2/19) and Sunday(3/3/2019).  Hope my legs hold up.
Might be a short-ish day on Sunday

I'm really sorry I can't make it out tomorrow. I WILL definitely be out there on Sunday. Bobby, I expect to see you too! 

Anyone else coming out to Beast this weekend?

On 2/28/2019 at 7:15 PM, *Ace* said:

@Bobby BuggsI'd be willing to spend most of the day riding Exhibition versus Comp if it helps get you out. I'll keep you posted on next possible visit date.

Me too!

• Like 2

Another fantastic day at the Beast.  Meet another carver/Evan today.
Ski GS race final did closed down Comp for most of today and the lodge/parking lot are packed but the mountain is still pretty empty.
Tomorrow should be good; plan to hit first-ish chair.
Play by ears:  I might heading home earlier than normal depends on when the forecasted snow is to hit NY. 

• Like 1

OMG, I forgot how great it is to ride with some of the best riders on the east coast. You guys really got me in attack mode today. David, I ran out of ways to describe the way you kill it now. Im happy your now the front runner and I dont have to be lol. Yeah I should have gone in when I said but I was not ready to stop smiling🤩  Im so thankful for the friendships that have come out this love for Gs.

Looks like a potential rinse and repeat for next Sunday if I can walk by then. Stay tuned.

20190303_102307.jpg

IMG_20190303_095440_01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What a great day!!  Everyone brought their A-Game today 💪 We might even have a new convert Beth.

btw there is a big smile under the facemask; we should photo shop it in lol.

BTW Happy Birthday @dingbat  The Spirit of Rally lives on!
Thank you @lafcadio for taking the trip even when you are under the weather!  One day I wish to be able to ride like Mike.  consistency +  Super Tight Turn with tons of style points and clean carve.  You are the man!

So glad to get you back on the wagon @Bobby Buggs
Thank you again for the kind words.  Everyone share/teach/learn/push each other is what I really enjoyed about this sports aka camaraderie. 

You are killing it for being "55" 😉 and first day riding;  show that age is just a number.
Time is funny like that:  It's a slipping slope when you missed a day or two; then it's a whole season then....
Treasure the present and now.  We never know what will happen tomorrow.

First day back is always painful; take lots of rest and maybe couple hit of the "pocket plate" and drink lots of milk; that's my secret to carving(the milk not the other thing lol)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Beth said:

Thanks for all the great info on the lift today, really excited about trying this out...you all make it look like so much fun!! Beth

Beth, welcome to the dark side! 😉  Look for Robin (@Armtron2000 on this forum). He teaches at Berkshire East and is out often.

I do have some Pure Boarding demo equipment I can lend out. Most important will be getting your correct boot size. Do you know what your ski boot size is in modo point?

I'll be around again next weekend (Sunday) and can bring a hardboot setup for you try and give some pointers if you would like.  Contact me through the forum (either private message or post in the Berkshire East thread) to confirm. 

Cheers, 

Michael

12 hours ago, pow4ever said:

BTW Happy Birthday @dingbat  The Spirit of Rally lives on!

Happy Birthday, Mark! We all miss you. The Beast is not the same without you. Can't wait to ride with you again. 

More snow is on the way this week. Next weekend should be spectacular! Just sayin. 😉

• Like 1

Good day Beast crew, I was talking to @jtslalomand we are planning tentatively to ride Jiminy peak Saturday the 9th and may be one of the weekday next week as schedule and weather permit. I am looking to confirm again, probably sometime Thur.  unfortunately, it seems the snow storm somehow missed our destination, with only a little less than 2 inches Sunday night.  However, the temperature looks cold enough to perhaps preserve the goods until this weekend.  Sunday was another possibility, but it seems like the rain was going to ruin the plan the last time I check.  May be that will change the next few days.  Let us know if you will be interested.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/jiminy-peak-ski-area-ma/01237/march-weather/20093_poi?monyr=3/1/2019&view=table

• Like 1