Note to New Members ×

Deeluxe Ground Control boots (hard/soft hybrid)

lonbordin

@Puhutes shared some interesting information in the Mountain Slope thread (linked below).  I thought this was worthy of it's own thread.

image.png.2d6f35517f5d1ba96cbac4f711aebe

groundcontroll-web-1-1287x1080.jpg

Only online information I've found so far: 

http://www.boardsportsource.com/2018/12/27/deeluxe-fw19-20-snowboard-boots-preview/

and 

http://www.boardsportsource.com/trend-report/snowboard-boots-fw19-20/

Then you get to Deeluxe’s unique Ground Control; we’ve been excited about this awesome hybrid hard-meets-soft boot carver since we saw the first prototypes eighteen months ago. “It absolutely revolutionizes carving,” says Deeluxe’s Marketing Manager, Florian Heim. “The totally fresh design provides the power and precision of a hardboot while still delivering the enduring comfort that makes a softboot so appealing.” Great job, guys.

Boot innovation? Yes, please.   Didn't Gilmour just talk about designing a hybrid boot in a recent post?

• Like 4

Saw these on a Korean website a few days ago, actually thought someone had just made their own, didn't know they were official!

Wonder if you could use them with softboot bindings, also. I think they'd sell a whole lot more if they did. Doesn't seem like they do, though.

Edited by daveo

26 minutes ago, daveo said:

Wonder if you could use them with softboot bindings, also. I think they'd sell a whole lot more if they did. Doesn't seem like they do, though.

People have ridden hardboots (even skiboots) in softboot bindings.  I'm not sure why anyone would want that though.  The highback and straps are just redundant with hardboots.

What we need is photos of the rear spine and the ankle hinge internally of the Ground Control boots.

Frankly I'm just excited to see ANY innovation in snowboard boots. Right now it's these and Atomic's Backlands as the only innovations in boots in recent history.

Edited by lonbordin
need to get some springs for my backlands....
  • Like 2

Seems like the worst of both worlds for marketing.  Most people think hardboots hurt their feet, and the feet are encased with 'hardboot' parts.  Then, you have the fabric/leather/whatever upper that will break down over time like all softboots.  

Might be easier to resurrect the K2 Clicker.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Corey said:

Seems like the worst of both worlds for marketing.  Most people think hardboots hurt their feet, and the feet are encased with 'hardboot' parts.  Then, you have the fabric/leather/whatever upper that will break down over time like all softboots.  

Okay good. I am not crazy for thinking this. But even if you do it the other way around, just seems awkward.

26 minutes ago, Corey said:

Resurrect?  They never stopped producing the Clicker.  You can buy it today.

Bindings- https://www.k2snowboarding.com/en/mens/bindings/clicker-1819.html

Boots- https://www.k2snowboarding.com/en/mens/boots/compass-clicker-1819.html and https://www.k2snowboarding.com/en/womens/boots/arrow-clicker-1819.html

2 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

nitro has jumped on too clicker also though mens only

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

nitro has jumped on too clicker also though mens only

https://www.nitrousa.com/mens-boots-collection/select-clicker-tls/

At least that Nitro boot looks a little more burly.

Next stop osin!

zvUOxdtjDd68dZSpqeZnhW8stf7_oXl9Ef4dJQ3v

Lockable highback (walk ride mode) with 3 forward lean settings and a third strap!  Step-ins....  This was my gateway drug to hardboots.  I've won a few pond skimming championships with these babies, lol.

Edited by lonbordin

It is a reincarnation by K2 from a couple years ago. But it has been kept alive in Japan all along by Shimano/Yonex. Bindings had hibacks and boots had anklestraps. A lot of the snowsurf movement riders were using them, up until a couple years ago.

The tendency is for established riders/skiers to want equipment that makes them feel better about what they already know and do, not something that challenges them to do things differently. 

Not sure what problems these might solve, but for DeeLucks, it's a low cost way to add another product to the line and let the market determine viability.

Ground Control ----> major bomb.

Edited by Beckmann AG

I second that pics of the rear spine and internal ankle are required before more judgment is passed.

However, I'm intrigued in an option that (hopefully) allows an actual softboot ride using phantom bindings. I haven't tried softening AT boots, but would be surprised if they're anything but a sad approximation. Worst of both worlds for anything else though.

I've been wondering why lace up boots with STANDARD, NOT PROPRIETARY,  plate bindings isn't the norm for 30yrs???

any softbooter that';s ever dragged the heel cups should be able to see the advantages:smashfrea

clickers suk, metal attachments in a cavity of the sole of a snow boot is stupid, I owned them I know it's stupid

as for burton reviving the Device system after Ride bought it and K2 squashed it in favor of clickers let's not forget that burton thinks stepins suck

If I liked the flex of laceups I'd be all over that hybrid using the stepin binders I already have, without spending $1200 for a proprietary boot binding set.

That may be consumer rather than business thinking but I think they'd sell more if there was a standard attachment system

Vibram traction soles would be nice for snow boots too

Edited by b0ardski

15 minutes ago, steven said:

has anyone tried the atomic backlands in any snowboard set-up?  plate or soft boot bindings?

Oh yeah.

https://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13406&sid=e25e075fc50b2ec5a6764f4066dffef7

http://splitboard.com/talk/topic/atomic-backlands-thoughts-on-mods/

It looks like we've come full circle with touring style boots.  My girlfriend had Koflachs riding back in the late 80's and I still have my Raichle snowboarder with Vibram soles for deep powder riding.  Three buckles too.  Probably not as lite as those Atomics?

Interesting how everyone is convinced the Ground Control won't work or last long without even trying it.  I am pretty sure I wouldn't want to drive my 191 or 174 with them, but for daily riding/free carving, I am ready to try them.  At 39/30 degrees minimum in my softboots and bindings, I would love plate convenience with a little give.  I miss the old Switch/O-Sin step-ins with the high backs and extra straps.  The lateral stability was pretty good and the system was very solid, unlike the Clickers.  

On 1/25/2019 at 10:44 AM, Corey said:

Yeah. A for effort, but I can’t imagine this taking off. Maybe if they also make a DIN version to compete with the Envy ski frame. There are a significant number of people who approach skiing and snowboarding just a little more seriously than sledding. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'd withhold judgement until I had a chance to demo them. I normally ride an All Mtn Nirvana at 45 degree angles with a fair amount of flex in my boots, so this is really intriguing to me.

Ideally, this design would offer:

• Enough lateral stiffness to get torque to the edge at angles exceeding 36 degrees (max setting on the Burton Step On is 36, so that may be the point after which you're not on toe/heel and would need a third strap on a highback to get leverage)
  • Enough ankle flex to suck up bumps and landings. (I don't look for bumps and jumps, but always seem to end up in them at some point)
  • Easier/better fit and comfort. (I haven't tried any Boa-laced boots, but they look more comfortable than buckles.)
  • Less weight than standard hardboots. (I'm all for losing weight without giving up bacon cheeseburgers)

If I didn't just spend on new UPZ's this season,  I'd be clamoring to be the crash test dummy.  

• Like 1

@plankton dgss with green/green springs, intermediate booster and red tongues and you're basically where you want to be.

I do the same things for my flexy boots but have one notch up in stiffness for everything.

Still can't see how these deeluxe boots can provide the lateral support for any angles greater than the usual softboot angles. 27ish. 

• Like 1

Thinking about it, there are some real advantages to be had even if you stick with low angles. (which you really should, I guess, with soft boots)

1. Less bootout.
  2. Intec integration. FWIW, I think Intec is superior to stuff like the kwicker and step on because you have the convenience of stepping in with less problems of snow buildup. Also, would be really nice if this takes off. Would be a boon for hard booters as well! 
  3. Bindings that allow for lift and cant.
  4. More comfort - not having a strap compressing your foot (it's a problem for me at least).

(you can tell I'm OCD and really like lists, can't you?)

I think that this can be really nice. Would it replace traditional straps? Probably not. Would it offer an interesting alternative with some advantages? Yeah, probably. So stop thinking about this like hard (headed?) booters. You'll always have hard boots for lateral stiffness and high angles. Try to imagine (normal?) soft booters and what they might see in this. Again, if this does take hold we will definitely see benefits in hard boots as well.

• Like 2