Note to New Members ×

hardbooter picture in Transworld

Cindy Kleh

Has anybody tried the Freebord (www.freebord.com)??? Or would you just recommend a long board?

A friend of mine just bought a Freebord a couple of weeks ago. I'm already a good skateboarder and it took about an hour to get used to the Freebord.

The Freebord rides just like a freestyle snowboard with dull edges. Meaning, you can carve a little bit, but riding style is more conducive to bombing down a hill with the ability to skid to control your speed or come to a complete stop. The Freebord is the most realistic simulator I've tried for a freestyle snowboard.

For alpine cross-training, I would recommend the Carveboard.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend of mine just bought a Freebord a couple of weeks ago. I'm already a good skateboarder and it took about an hour to get used to the Freebord.

The Freebord rides just like a freestyle snowboard with dull edges. Meaning, you can carve a little bit, but riding style is more conducive to bombing down a hill with the ability to skid to control your speed or come to a complete stop.

I agree with this description of a Freebord but would emphasize the lack of carving ability... more so than with a freestyle snowboard, because if you have a good freestyle board and know how to ride it you can still carve pretty hard with it (just much tighter turns at much slower speeds). The turning radius of the Freebord is so tight that you need to be crawling into order to keep from sliding out of the carve.

Also I didn't like the Carveboard... although my friend who snowboards and surfs really likes it (as it appears gdbyotyler does too). The Carveboard trucks are way loose and so you turn really tight and there is little to no resistance in your turn (unlike a snowboard where the camber progressively pushes back harder the more your flex the board). Also the Carveboard can't turn at speeds over 15 mph (the rubber wheels will start skipping and hopping sideways). I prefer a longboard like the Loaded Vanguard (here's a hardbooter review http://www.hardbooter.com/news/archives/39-Loaded-keeps-us-carving-all-summer.html#extended) or a GS slalom board like the Insect Sidewinder (www.insectskateboards.com).

you guys keep sayinng stuff about teens and how they are all punks and only care about doing tricks

Im a 14 year old carving teen thats not a punk

ive been carving for 5 years now and love it

No offense dood, if you haven't noticed, a fair number of us are somewhat creaky and 40+....

As for skaters v nonskaters.....the kids down the street are still struggling with kickflips and they've been working on them for 2 1/2 years(at least)

I pull out my longboard and cruise away.....

As for ollies, I did one by mistake...I was pushing and trying to really work up some speed and put my foot down hard in the wrong place....Hello...

Pretty fly for a 41 y/o white chick....

I know you guys wouldn't be cuahgt dead reading a Transworld but there was a picture on the last page that had a hardbooter, Jeff Greenwood, in the pipe.

The caption: "We catch alot of **** here at TWS in regard to content. Some people say that there isn't enough racing coverage. But let's face facts, staring at pictures of guys making turns on coduroy isn't all that exciting. Every photo looks like their sniffing their pits. Well, tell you what, if every spandex-clad dude shredded like Jeff Greenwood, we'd be all over 'em like Anna Nicole on a cheeseburger."

Is that a challenge?

Oh, If you don't think this is hard, give it a try.Then send us a letter from your hospital bed.

post-123-141842207187_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

What makes me want to puke about Transworld is their clear anti-helmet theme. All those crazy mountain airs, concrete staircases with metal railings and practically noone has a helmet on. If that magazine paper was not so shiny and glossy I would take great pleasure in using it as my favorite toilet paper. How could any responsible magazine print a pic (promote a pic) of a helmetless young rider doing a backside rail slide down a 60 foot long concrete staircase? One slip and that young riders brains will pour out of his skull like paint out of can.

Hardboot bias is far from the only problem that mag has.

Sic

What makes me want to puke about Transworld is their clear anti-helmet theme. All those crazy mountain airs, concrete staircases with metal railings and practically noone has a helmet on. If that magazine paper was not so shiny and glossy I would take great pleasure in using it as my favorite toilet paper. How could any responsible magazine print a pic (promote a pic) of a helmetless young rider doing a backside rail slide down a 60 foot long concrete staircase? One slip and that young riders brains will pour out of his skull like paint out of can.

Hardboot bias is far from the only problem that mag has.

Sic

Think about Jeffy Anderson(I think) He bought it trying to do a rail slide on a 50 foot spiral staircase about a month after Craig Kelly died

Think about Jeffy Anderson(I think) He bought it trying to do a rail slide on a 50 foot spiral staircase about a month after Craig Kelly died
It wasn't nearly as impressive as that. He was just at his hotel, and decided to try and slide down the spiral on his butt... lost his balance and fell backwards off the stairwell.

and back to the origins of this thread, i saw that picture in transworld. i actually got pretty annoyed the way they put down carving. They dont seem to understand the necessarry skill... i have yet to see a park monkey carve.

Guest rc30rob

hey you lot its all about what sells and image,bike mags are the same to cool for their own good ,then when we go to the bike meets every one looks as if they are from the blue oyster bar on a dressed harley or sudo harley jap v twin thing or pretending to be a gp rider(i even followed on on my 74 z1 he was on a blade up right on a bend in the isle of man,the look on his face as i passed him ,he he).Many of them miss the whole point its the same riding a bike or board its just for that moment where everything gells and feels right its very very personal ,it is the moment that makes you feel alive and no one even sees it,you cant even explain it ,some of us are fortunate enough to enjoy these moments its NOT A FASHION STATEMENT .The best thing to do with those mags ,shred em and give em to the hampster

and back to the origins of this thread, i saw that picture in transworld. i actually got pretty annoyed the way they put down carving. They dont seem to understand the necessarry skill... i have yet to see a park monkey carve.

And you won't until they grow up....

I had an internet argument with a jibber-yes, I wasn't thinking :smashfrea -he assured me he could carve after a week following lesson #1. I told him he was probably skidding and I didn't mean to offend, most of the big mountain riders on "Standard Snowboard Show", "Sacred Ride". et al. are skidding after all....

He called me a hater...boo,hoo ;)

As an oppressed minority, it's easy to spout venom.

I threw a thread on this site talking about a little distraction we do called "noboarding", where we ride powder with a leash and no bindings.

The two responses I got were pretty flip, to say the least. I was just trying to spread a little knowledge, but there was no respect for something different here... kind of like how TWS treats alpine.

Thankfully, snowboardcross may be the boost hardbooting needs. We need rising numbers so we can keep alpine style riding in our Canadian instructor courses.

Some people, mostly in Whistler, say it's dead and want it out of the program so they can get their Level 4's without donning the plastic.

I like alpine and I think it creates a better rider, when mixed with freeriding and freestyle. Certainly, if you want to claim to be the highest certified instructor someone could hire, you'd better know how to ride it all (no bindings included).

As an oppressed minority, it's easy to spout venom.

I threw a thread on this site talking about a little distraction we do called "noboarding", where we ride powder with a leash and no bindings.

The two responses I got were pretty flip, to say the least. I was just trying to spread a little knowledge, but there was no respect for something different here... kind of like how TWS treats alpine.

I don't think they were that flip, just trying to be sorta funny I guess. At least they included the thumbs-up icon.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=9617

The difference between BOL and TWS is that BOL doesn't pretend to be anything other than a carving website. TWS is a magazine called Transworld Snowboarding, not Transworld Freestyle Snowboarding. If they're going to be a "snowboarding" magazine, they should throw us a bone here and there.

For the record, I think noboarding looks awesome! I've often wondered why it hasn't been done and promoted before. Powder is a fluid much like water, why not surf it?

Guest Tim Tuthill

Jack: When I started skiing in the late 50'S we talked about it all the time. Growing up on the beach in So Cal, it's amazing snowboarding did not start much earlyer. When Doyle did the mono ski, why didn't he put one foot behind the other? I'll ask when I see him next. I did see a pic a few years ago of a guy on a short board in the pow. Don't remember if he had a leash?? I remember guys talking about taking a board to the mountains. Dave, it is funny!

I would rather see a guy or girl laying down some huge trenches than someone catching air in the halfpipe personally. It's cool but after while it gets boring to me. I can't understand why there is such a love/hate relationship between regular snowboarders and alpiners. We have something in common ya know. SNOW!

I've got a lot of flack from some of my friends because I didn't want to play in the terrain park. I wanted to go fast and carve huge ruts that skiers and regular boarders could fall in....LMAO

Of course when they see what I've learned they're like that is so cool, I want to learn how to do that someday.

Then I usually tell them that this sport isn't for the faint hearted. It takes a lot of work, patience and dedication. You have to have develop a love for carving, because otherwise you'll spend a lot of time hurting...