Note to New Members ×

hardbooter picture in Transworld

Cindy Kleh

No, Cindy.

I'm heading for Park City for the NASTAR Nationals instead. Last year I was the only competitor with two bibs (ski and board) and that might be true again this year.

I'd like to see more boarders compete there. We're still a very small minority compared with the skiers.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right on Redman, agreed all around, but to answer your question:

Originally posted by Redman

I guess what I'm getting at is this: Does it really matter what's in the popular mags if you're doing what you love and are passionate about?

It absolutely does not. However I don't appreciate unsolicited insults and disrespect. You don't see pictures on this site lampooning softbooters.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

However I don't appreciate unsolicited insults and disrespect. You don't see pictures on this site lampooning softbooters.

Seems to be there's more than one thread on here giving the bum's rush to softbooters ... :D

Who cares? I like being different.

I actually read a Transworld for the first time at the gym last week. I was hard pressed to find any editorial in it among the 200 or so pages of ads. I got the impression that it was more for people who like to look at the pics and ain't big on da words ...

Guest Redman
It absolutely does not. However I don't appreciate unsolicited insults and disrespect. You don't see pictures on this site lampooning softbooters.

Your right about that, Jack. That type of thing is part of what I wanted to get away from. You wouldn't believe the amount of guff I took when I took a day off of riding to ski. I loved running gates on skis and would occasionally take the opportunity to do so when it arose.

Anyway, who really needs those mags? This site has provided me with more and better info on a snowboard and how it works than a decade's worth of TWS.

Red

Originally posted by Allee

Seems to be there's more than one thread on here giving the bum's rush to softbooters ... :D

True, but there is a difference between forum fodder and published material in the archive.

As for the "content" of TWS, I did a little analysis last year here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1192

actions speak louder than words, certain images are hard to forget. Hardbooters ripping will inevitably make some freestylers curious. Whether or not they will do the required "work" to ride alpine, who knows. The jab was unecessary though.

PhilW, nicely said. "It would be bad for them if truth were out, and the macho teens were found to be sideslipping the beginner terrain whilst old guys rip the steeps."

---

Barry

Originally posted by Derf

For those of us who were not at the SES and are in the market for an inexpensive all mountain board, could you enlighten us on that Donek Pilot? What is the shape, similar to an Axis, Freecarve or Incline? What does "The core isnt book matched" mean? I could live with a slower base material on an all mountain board since I already have a decent freecarve deck.

I always wondered why the Incline is 360$ and the Axis 550$ when they have a similar construction and similar stiffness index. Is it the core that is much different?

It's a freecarve shape (not all-mtn), 20cm waist, pricetag starting with the number 3, billed as an "entry level carving board". That's all I know.

I thought the Axis construction was derived from the Freecarve, not the Incline.......?

I thought the Axis construction was derived from the Freecarve, not the Incline.......?

The Axis is listed on the Donek site "Symmetriflex B" core which is the same as the FC and Race, where the Incline/Wide/Sasquatch have "Symmetriflex A", whatever A and B mean.

I have ridden multiple sizes of FC, Axis, and Incline, and can tell you that the Axis does feel more like a FC than an Incline. The FC and Axis are more torsionally stiff than an Incline, and the Incline has a lot of torsional stiffness for a freeride board.

(I personally find the FCs too stiff for my liking even at 195 pounds. My Axis 172 is just right for me for carving, blasting through crud, and untracked powder, a little stiff in the middle for trees)

TWS is a kind of boy-band-style magazine for pubescent males. [...] It would be bad for them if truth were out, and the macho teens were found to be sideslipping the beginner terrain whilst old guys rip the steeps.

Fxxking hilarious.

But, the best response is a good run with a big smile visible for miles.

Right on Redman, agreed all around, but to answer your question:

Well, I have to admit that we do call them things like "baggy-pantsed park monkeys" and "Hank Huck and Sally Sideslip." (I love that - who came up with it?)

But you're right that we rarely go to the trouble of actually posting a picture. :-)

I agree that alpine is taking over

last week i got alakata into it after one run on my board

i also got the guy who runs the lift into it and he never snowboarded before he bought a board too just from watching me carve

many others at my home Mt. are going to try it too and most of them are teenagers and kids younger than that.

in 5 years it will all be alpine

The best part about the sport is that every curling rink has a bar no less than 15 feet from the playing surface. It is considered bad form to decline drinks after the game. There is even an established etiquette around it. Winning rink buys first round, losing rink buys the second round.

When I turn 50, I'll hang up the carving gear and pick up the stone.

I always thought curling was like watching paint dry, but now I might have to check it out! That's one of the good things about tenpin bowling - the beer is always plentiful and cheap.

I think petanque might be my game - anything that is customarily played with a glass of wine in your free hand has to be good for you!

Originally posted by philw

It would be bad for them if truth were out, and the macho teens were found to be sideslipping the beginner terrain whilst old guys rip the steeps.

Truth be told, most carvers are ripping up the blues and greens and skidding turns on the steep stuff.

From what I remember of TWS and snowboard videos, some of the young guys that are hucking big air are also the ones doing sick lines in AK.

I wouldn't subscribe to a mag that was all shots of carving on groomed and World Cup race results.

Of course I preferred Snowboard Life over TWS. But Snowboard Life only had some carving shots and a lot of backcountry.

Guest Mark Jeangerard
Originally posted by Redman

About this time I got reaaly bummed on the ghetto image of snowboarding and cut my riding drastically.

OK, what's "ghetto" mean again?

In the two weeks I've had my Madd 180 I've heard more than a few comments here and there.

70% of them were, "Whoa, that board is ghetto."

Izzat good?

Mark

Guest Mark Jeangerard
Originally posted by philw

TThe magazine is pushing a different sport, closer to skate than boarding.

Skate what? I am a skater and think skaters are the finest people on planet earth for a variety of reasons that I won't take the 15 pages to mention here.

Of course, I know a lot of skaters and I see a lot of notskaters. Skaters and notskaters both limp along hunched over to avoid cracking 3 day old scabs. But...

• Skaters ride for minutes at a time with flow and dignity.

• Notskaters line up in a corner and take single shots at the coolest tricks, off one hit, one at a time, and land 0.002% of everything they try.

• Skaters cook hotdogs in the back of thier cars, wear sensible clothing for the task at hand, soul carve long hills, bomb giant ditches, and rip nasty little peanut pools.

• Notskaters have thier moms deliver Mickey-D lunch at the skatepark, wear there beltlines around their knees, and line up in a corner and take single shots at the coolest tricks, off one hit, one at a time, and land 0.002% of everything they try.

• Skaters organise contests on Sundays, ten bucks in, winner takes all, winner buys beer.

• Notskaters line up in a corner and take single shots at the coolest tricks, off one hit, one at a time, and land 0.002% of everything they try.

Which brings us right back to the topic.

Overall, I see a lot more success on the snow. Most snowboarders have more flow than most skaters. Sure, I'd like to personally force 60% of the riders I see into a three day clinic to improve thier overall riding, but they're out there landing stuff. That's fun. Unfortunately, the community in snowboarding suffers from a greater divide between the riding styles. Wish I knew why that is... Snowboarders are dicks by comparison.

Not you guys.... You're snowboarders, not notsnowboarders.

And next time you make a blanket statement about skaters like that I'll have the ACLU all over your ass.

Mark :-) :-) :-)

sk_ditch02.JPG

LOLOL---excellent post on skaters and notskaters Mark! :D

I swear I was just saying to Holly the other day that 99% of the notskaters I see never land any of their tricks...and I wondered aloud if there actually are any skaters anywhere who can land them! :) (Yes, I know there are---just not around here!)

And by the way...just as I knew nothing of carving a few months ago (and now am addicted to it)...neither did I know anything of slalom skateboarding (on long boards) 'til a couple weeks ago. Now I'm looking at the season ending, eyeing the $140 pricetag for a half-decent long board, and going hmmm....

:)

Scott

Guest Mark Jeangerard
Originally posted by D-Sub

damn that looks like a fun one!

he he he

The photo is at the top, the smallest portion of the magnanamous, the stupendous, the fabulous...

Faster than a speeding german sheppard. More powerful than Kryptonics. Able to eat small skaters in a single bail. Look! Down in the ground. It's a snake. It's a sewer. It's:

INDIAN SCHOOL DITCH!!!

That's right, the world famous, 30mph, two mile long, ditch of all ditches.... Indian School in Albuquerque, NM. And you can ride it too for the measely fee of (travel?).

Seriously,

Many of our ditches have rounded trannies making them the smoothest groove available. We often get high winds but we have ditches going in many directions so you're almost guaranteed a killer fast ride.

This is the home of the Bear. A monster of a ditch that Team Afroman came to race last summer but chickened out. (For good reason too. It's no mean task to start from the top.)

I can think of ten killer ditches I'd take a guest to right now. There are many more than that. Many, many.

We have an unwritten rule around these parts. If ever you will be in the area, or plan come to ABQ just to ride the ditches (Which people do. From different countries even.) Drop a note on www.ncdsa.com in the Banks & Ditches forum. Someone, or maybe many, will take the day to show you around all the great ditches. You see, it's that southwestern hospitality you hear nothing about.

Now you know,

Mark

Also, check www.timeshipracing.com for summer events. All the Xgames and Ggames champs and riders show up. Big ditch races, downhills, old school freestyle... There's swag and prize money aplenty plus a whole buncha ditch riding. You should see Indian School with 50 skaters in it. It's like SES.

Warms the cockles of the heart...

Guest Mark Jeangerard
Originally posted by SWriverstone

And by the way...just as I knew nothing of carving a few months ago (and now am addicted to it)...neither did I know anything of slalom skateboarding (on long boards) 'til a couple weeks ago. Now I'm looking at the season ending, eyeing the $140 pricetag for a half-decent long board, and going hmmm....

:)

Scott

Scott

For that price, or just a little over, you can get some choice gear. My ditch/soul carve board is a Sector 9 46" Bomber with Randall IIs on it. A lot of skater bought the 46" Bomber cause it's soooo sweet.

Randall IIs are a great all around truck on boards with a longer wheelbase. They don't speed wobble. 150s are fine to 40mph or so. Turn great too.

70mm Krypto Classics in the color of white slide so predicatably. A great wheel for starting out on.

Make or buy some slider gloves and your up and running on your summer carving stick.

I just started slalom again this last summer. It's wild. These cats like Hackett, Olsen, Mollica... They're way to quick. But it sure is fun. I got the Bahne Black Hill outfitted for $150. A Split-Fire rear truck from Gary at http://asphaltplayground.com/index.html and it almost handle like a real slalom board. (Pre Radikal, that is.)

We gotsta do somethin' in the melty.

Mark

• 8 months later...