Note to New Members ×

UPZ RC 12 review

snowwjob1

I thought I should give some feed back on the new UPZ RC12's. I have been in Deluxe boots since I started hardbooting and have always fought heel lift. I am glad I made the switch but it takes time to get used to them.

1st I was not at all happy with the stock liners.I could barley were them in the house no less on the mountain. I started by riding with my old liners from my Deluxe boots to get a feel for the boots. Even with the old liners I noticed the increased hold in my heel.

After a few days in the boots I went to the boot fitter to get them properly fitted. I wound up with Intuition Race HD liners which is a low volume liner, I originally thought I wanted a wrap liner but my fitter did not think there was enough room to fit the extra layer of material. 

A few punches were needed and a little grinding at the top of the cuff at the calf. If you have large calf's this is an area I would be concerned but there is enough material to be removed or you can move the plastic with heat and presses.

Performance, the RC12 boot is stiffer then my previous boots (225,325) and it has taken time to get used to it. I barley buckle them and the heel hold is great. 

I ride all mountain on these boots including powder, steeps, trees, and carving. I am 230lbs so I can flex the boots if you are a lighter rider it may be an issue.

I really noticed the lateral stiffness on the front foot. Since I ride TD3 step ins I think this is really noticeable. I had a pair of standard side winders and wound up putting those on the front foot. It has helped soften the whole set up.

I removed the booster strap and mostly ride with the boots in walk mode.

Overall I love the fit just wish they were a little less stiff laterally. But I think my overall riding has improved just because of the reduced heel lift and possibly the stiffer boot.

I did have to adjust my bindings to compensate for the ramp angle, but once I figured it out I am happy.

It was a very large investment to switch, hope they last a while.

I think the RC12 cuff is also higher than the Deeluxe boot, right? The Shoxxter strap also has no give, which I think when combined with the extra height of the cuff, contributes to the extra stiffness, relative to the Deeluxe. The lower shell is apparently +10% stiffer than the RC11, also, but not sure how much that really changes anything.

I reckon switching out the Shoxxter for an intermediate Booster might feel good. My Shoxxter frayed anyway, so I switched it out for the RCR ratchet but I wanted to try something with a bit more give, so I've now switched it out for an intermediate Booster.

11 hours ago, snowwjob1 said:

Apparently the carbon in the cuff makes the RC12 25% stiffer.  

Yeah I read the +25% stiffness as well, but then I saw this lol:

cuff_hart-stik.jpg

But I guess it is actually referring to the black part on the inside below, which is probably stiffer than the yellow part:

rc11ylinmold.jpg

Edited by daveo

• 3 weeks later...

I never understand all fuss... I have several iterations of UPZ and did pick up RC12 this year..  I kinda like the flex of the RC8 better but what the heck.  I guess I'm one of only the few that find the stock liner one of the best...  even the stock foot beds are pretty good.   Best Heel fit in my opinion and as many others have said as well.  Nice and light, fricken super easy to get in and out with the new tongue best thing since sliced bread.  Shortest footprint too..   Buckles are awesome, they lock out of the way for ease of entry.. 

Rock em... 

• 3 years later...

Just hopped into a pair of brand new UPZ RC12's after more than 20 years in Raichle 225's.

Although I'm just using the black tongues that come with the boot I've found the UPZ's to be way stiffer than the Raichle's, maybe just ride in "walk mode" like Snowwjob does?

Shin bang on the rear boot is pretty bad, never experienced that before.

UPZ tout their revolutionary "backward flex adjustment" but then don't provide any instructions or a tool to make said adjustment! (at least, there was no tool with the boots I received) I don't know if that's normal.

Boots are comfortable just walking around the house so I imagine I'll find the sweet spot for riding at some point!

• 1 year later...

I just had one of my RC12s open for some surgery on the spring mechanism, and it turns out the 4 position lock is really more of a 3 position lock in practice. Maybe this is just the 279mm shell, but the metal plate with the locking holes is curved near the bottom. The plastic box that holds the locking mechanism and which slides over the locking plate has a straight groove in it. The curved bottom portion of the plate jams in the spring box as the boot straightens, starting around the 2nd hole from the bottom. I knew I wasn't finding a 4th locking position, but I always figured it was because I was skipping over it, or that I wasn't getting enough leverage to flex the liner or something.

As for flex adjustment, the nuts on the back can be used to increase preload. The top (heel side) adjustment nut can be turned with a dime. Or at least a dime fits in most of the slots on mine. Otherwise, a big enough flat head screwdriver works. It should spin relatively freely, but be careful about rounding over the edges. The bottom (toe side) adjustment nut is a normal 10mm nylock nut. It can be adjusted with a box wrench (12 point style).