Note to New Members ×

Mt. Hood Meadows 2018 / 2019

Dan

Well, we got 12 inches overnight. Might have been Cascade cement, and it might be raining on it now, but at least there's base and you can probably ride most of the mountain without worrying about rocks. Anyone gotten up there yet this season? 

• 1 month later...

xqXTmax7QPYD8D_C_Xh9V1ecxGPjsTtcHVcW6574

OK, this is Palmer on Timberline, not Meadows, but there's no T-line thread 🙂 Skinned up with my wife, she kicked my ass in the closing stretch (that's her). I used little shorty approach skis with skins and carried an Osin 3800, but I wished I had carried up an alpine board instead - it has rained at T-line all the way to the top of Palmer, but the groom was actually pretty great - it would have been fun to make some alpine turns on the way down. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be staying in Government Camp March 6-13.  I know I'll be at Meadows for 3 days as my Power Pass gets me 3 "free" days there.  Where I'll go for the other days, no idea. Skibowl? Timberline?  I'll be in Portland for the 8th so not that day and Bend the 9th so I'll hit Mt. Bachelor that day.

Suggestions are more than welcome. Best food and beer?

On 2/18/2019 at 6:07 PM, lonbordin said:

I'll be staying in Government Camp March 6-13.  I know I'll be at Meadows for 3 days as my Power Pass gets me 3 "free" days there.  Where I'll go for the other days, no idea. Skibowl? Timberline?  I'll be in Portland for the 8th so not that day and Bend the 9th so I'll hit Mt. Bachelor that day.

Hey, welcome to Hood! Note that the Meadows Spring Pass is for sale now. It's valid for night skiing starting this week, and valid for daytime starting March 8, which overlaps with most of your time here: https://www.skihood.com/store/products/season-passes/new passes/spring-pass-25-to-64

Meadows hasn't said anything about raising the price on the spring pass after March 8 (that could change though, they've done it in the past), so my play would be use your 3 free days at Meadows, ride one day at Timberline just to say you did it, then see if you want to spend the rest of your time at Timberline or Meadows. See what you think, but I imagine your answer will be Meadows: the most interesting terrain at Timberline is on the Palmer chair, and it doesn't operate in the winter. It gets dug out when alpine conditions get more manageable later in the spring, but I suspect it won't be running when you're here.

Skibowl would be good if you can catch a powder day, but otherwise skip it. Note that Skibowl opens at 3 pm on Monday-Thursday, so if we do get a big midweek pow day, you can ride the morning at Meadows, then get more fresh tracks at Skibowl at 3 p.m. Big storms in March are pretty common, so there's actually a decent chance of this scenario -- check the long range forecast when you're packing, but probably worth your while to make room for a powder board if possible. 

Timberline will probably have launched its spring pass by the time you're here, so keep an eye on that, though I suspect you'll wind up wanting to spend your time at Meadows anyway. 

Sounds like you're already committed to staying in Government Camp, is that right? It's close to the lifts, but it's a little short on food and beverage options. The Ratskeller is the classic Govvie dive bar, and I would say that Mt. Hood Brewing is some of the better food and drink in town, but pretty $$$- I think I paid $18 for a sandwich there a few years ago. 

If you drive down the mountain a bit towards Portland, the Zigzag Inn and Zigzag Mountain Cafe (only breakfast and lunch) are both good; there are a lot more options in Hood River, but it's about an hour drive from Govvie. 

I probably won't be able to make it up when you're here because I'm having a very unpleasant dental procedure on March 7 which will probably keep me off my feet through the weekend, but if you're rolling through Portland on your way to a flight, post here and let's plan to meet up for a beer and / or a meal. Pretty good group of hardbooters in Portland, we just haven't been spending that much time on the forum lately. 

• Thanks 1

As far as food and beer, Charlies Mountain View is good.  It's also like a Mt. Hood ski museum.  The Ratskellar has the nightlife but I got food poisoning there and it ruined a good carving day.  I prefer trenches over trots.  The Glacier Haus is supposed to be good but I'm never in Govy for dinner so I haven't tried it.  There is also a decent restaurant at the Mt. Hood Resort in Welches.

I could potentially ride Meadows one day 3/10-3/12.  Hopefully it will stop dumping by then.

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2019 at 6:07 PM, lonbordin said:

I'll be in Portland for the 8th so not that day and Bend the 9th so I'll hit Mt. Bachelor that day.

Hey lonbordin,

I just noticed you're planning to come to Mt. Bachelor.  If you want a tour of Bachelor from a local let me know.

Dan provided some great information and I have something to add, if you do go to Timberline you should checkout the historic Timberline Lodge (the outside was featured in The Shining).

Also, the last time I was at the Huckleberry Inn (in Government Camp) the food was still really good.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, noschoolrider said:

If you want a tour of Bachelor from a local let me know.

Thank you.  I'm not 100% sure when I'll be there or if it will come with conditions as my spouse will be in tow.

Also THANK YOU @noschoolrider, @Dan, @Keenan for the information dump... I'm soaking it up.

I'll have a powder board (180 Grocer) with me. Let it snow!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 10:54 PM, lonbordin said:

I'll have a powder board (180 Grocer) with me. Let it snow!!!

Well that was a fortunate choice.  I got to Gov. Camp Wednesday night and it really hasn't stopped snowing since.

I walked over to Skibowl East during the day and it was packed groomed powder so I prepared my NFCB with the Powdah' nose and the Grocer.  

After work I was able to make it out on the snow a little before 1600... I took one run on the Coiler then put it in the car and got out the Grocer.  I should've known better as I had to clean off multiple inches of snow from the rental car three times yesterday AND I saw the resorts 1-2" of new report.  It's not often I find myself discussing resorts under-reporting of snowfall but it was 6" of fresh in the shallower spots and top of the cuff in the deeper spots.  Did I mention shortly after my arrival it started puking snow.  Almost whiteout conditions for short segments of time.  I didn't see my feet or my board for long stretches.

Did some upper bowl runs then some Skyline (why is there an uphill?!?) to Upper/Middle/lower Reynolds.  That trek to Upper Reynolds got old but no one was doing the run... fresh and smooth.  I'd love to carve that run someday top to bottom.  

I do a LOT of night skiing so I was interested in what "America's Largest Night Ski Area" was like.  The long and the short of it... poorly lit.  They've got lights but they're very spread out.  If this was my local hill I'd have a bike light strapped to my helmet. 

The crowds were light and there were still stashes of powder to be found when I left around 1930.  I never made it over to the Skibowl East area.  

I'd say the place had a great vibe.  Everyone was in good spirits and enjoying the snow.

• Like 1

Awesome Lonbordin! Thanks for the report, sounds like you hit Skibowl on a great day, and you will probably have good carving conditions on Sunday and Monday for dessert. You must have good snow karma, come ride Mt. Hood anytime 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks @Dan!

Had another great day at Timberline today.  Did the 12-4 pass as that allowed me to knock out the work requirements in the AM.  (I'm still on East Coast Time)

I felt like I was exploring where ever I went at Timberline.  Soft packed powder with many inches of fresh on top AND it was dumping.  Started out with the larger Coiler then all the untracked on the sides called me to the Grocer.  I have moved my bindings to the rear most inserts... should've done that yesterday!

The snow quality was unreal... some kid on a lift commented to his friend that some of the landings were getting "icey".  I horse laughed him loud and long.  The only ice to be found was in my beard.  My tracks from early in the day were nearly filled by late afternoon.

A lot of fun riding but not that many carving opportunities.  Who cares?!? it was a blast.

The visibility at the top made for boarding by feel... quite the experience. (Photo taken in the sheltered space provided by the Magic Mile lift building)  Thankfully they had some green dots on posts to guide us down... I used them as gates... very thankful for those!

RcsQ9Xp.jpg

Looks like the snow will abate for a day or so... maybe a carving day.... swoon. :1luvu:

If you’re looking for any more night riding on Hood, Meadows lighting is quite good, but limited terrain.  It’s either the slow double Easy Rider or the detachable quad Mt Hood Express chair. Lapping North Canyon off MHX is a great way to get miles in, but can get stale after the 10th rep of the night. 

But with snow like this I’ll take as many laps as I can get!

• Thanks 1

I'm beat... tired... exhausted... my quads are toast. 

Mt. Hood's reporting 7" in 24 hours and 15" in 48 hours.  Oh yeah  all that and more, it dumped here last night.  It took me 20 minutes to clear off the car!  ANOTHER powder day... I don't know how you MCC folk handled it.  

It was Bluebird for a couple of hours this morning... marvelous. https://photos.app.goo.gl/dRHPGGcxt3seySkD8

I am so HAPPY I brought the Grocer and the CarveRS bindings.  Running 30f/20r and it's really fantastic.  So many high speed trips through the pow... and side hits... side hits galore.

I'll admit I haven't ridden much pow since moving away from the NE.  I'm rusty but it's coming back.  

I had the lil' Coiler at the board check all day so I took it out for my last two runs... oh no... it does not like these conditions... not. one. bit.  

We had some visibility issues at the top of Cascade so I didn't do the Heather Canyon runs.... rode most of the other large runs and all the lifts.  I was doing Shooting Star area runs pretty early and that was nice... lots of untracked.  The runs off of Texas Trail were fun too...

Bachelor tomorrow.... I'll admit... I wouldn't mind lapping a groomed run for a bit! :eek:

Edited by lonbordin
Forgot a picture!

Bachelor and the curse of powder continues to follow me.  😉😋 

My quads... they ache so... 6" in 24 hours, 12" in 72 hours.  The locals were all talking about their runs refilling throughout the latter part of yesterday. 

Started out around noon and the clouds were hugging the mountain... but it wasn't long after the clouds broke and it was sunny when I left around 4.  I started on the Grocer but decided after reading this thread I was going to take out the Coiler NFCB with the powder nose and do it's thing.

I takes more effort and focus than the LibTech but it carves a whole lot better and there was actually carving to be found.  I saw tracks that lead me to believe there was at least one other carver on the mountain but I never saw them.  I wish I could talk about all the runs I took but I simply don't remember all the names.  Maybe I should be like Shred... design a volume shifted NFCB with a small tail.... hmmn.  My only disappointment is staring up at the non-running Summit lift and wondering what could've been... 

aeSFcYd.jpg

I probably should've quit earlier my last few runs were weaksauce...  

Edited by lonbordin
next time pic...

Not sure if you have more days at Bachelor, but Mike T from the forum is a Bachelor local, along with Noschoolrider. Not sure if either of them rides on weekends though, so maybe you were seeing someone else's tracks. You're having a pretty awesome trip!

8 hours ago, Dan said:

You're having a pretty awesome trip!

It got better today....

P0jGktM.jpg

I got to ride with @tinkler and @www.oldsnowboards.com! A very unexpected and welcome surprise.  Both were on Tinklers, of course.  So I got to see a lot of those today.  Pretty unique gear even for us alpine riders!  My NFCB with Gecko's looks primitive by default.  Beautiful day, soft groom, lovely.

I was there at opening... rode for a few runs and felt tired and something was wrong.  Slaps forehead!  I forgot to move my bindings back forward after the pow!! :eek:

I was finishing the adjustments when Mike and Bryan rolled off the Shooting Star lift.  

Mike rides fast!!! Really fast!!!  I could not keep up.  They took me on a tour.  it was great!  They are both fantastic riders.

I was (am) beat from the previous days... my quads were burning shortly after I started.  

I left them around noon and went to the car... then my favorite sailboat designer told me to HTFU. So I got a drink, shedded some clothes , and took the lil Coiler back out instead of the NFCB that I've been riding.  I did a few more runs and said this is enough!  I ran into Mike and Bryan in the lot, great dudes... hung out for a bit then I had to get back to do some work.  They mentioned they thought they saw a couple of other carvers... maybe Eric...

Another fantastic day.

Unfortunately.... 

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON PDT TUESDAY... * WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 10 inches expected for the South Washington Cascades and 4 to 8 inches for the Oregon Cascades. * WHERE...In Washington, South Washington Cascades. In Oregon, Northern Oregon Cascades and Cascades in Lane County. * WHEN...From 11 PM this evening to noon PDT Tuesday. The heaviest snowfall is expected late this evening through early Tuesday morning.

MORE SNOW!  :smashfrea  Welp... it's back on the Grocer for my last trip to Meadows tomorrow.  Not sure when I'll get there... not sure if my rental car will get out of the driveway!

Edited by lonbordin
snowmygawd....
  • Like 3

At 13:21 I pulled into the Meadows lot... it looked like this:

iOsWgwG.jpg

Freakin' whiteout... 7" in 12 hours, 8" in 24 hours and snowing like heck...

Back a month ago I purchased an old Dupraz off a generous forum member.  I took it and my Grocer out in a slush shootout thinking I should take a powder board on this trip and I could only take one, if that!  I seriously considered taking only carving sticks on this trip!!!  But as the date grew near I saw the forecast and made sure that everything fit in the board bag.  The Grocer won the slush shootout handily... no contest and it can carve pretty well for an ancient cap construction board.

I've now ridden the Grocer and the CarveRS bindings more than anything else this trip.  I'm so glad I bought it!  There's no replacement for displacement!  No matter how deep it's gotten Iv'e been able to float through it. Fantastic.  Today was wicked winds 62 mph up top so only the lower lifts were running.  I spent most of the day lapping the Hood River Express seeking shelter from the winds because some of the exposed areas off off the Mt Hood Express had been scoured clean and were less than enjoyable.

But there was plenty of fun to be had on the Hood River side and Ma' nature was handing out free refills. W00t!  I was toast when I left at 1600 and the storm picked up again!  

I'm just in awe of the local hills and conditions... maybe I should move to Bend.  

Do you know what percentage of Oregon's mountains were made from volcanic activity?

100%

Edited by lonbordin
Thank you.
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I'll probably get a day at Meadows this weekend. Pretty crappy season for me though, my "snowboard as little as possible" campaign was more successful than I wanted. 😞

1 hour ago, kram said:

Last week of April 1st week of May?

What, are you thinking about coming out? I could probably get a day or two at Meadows if you come out. Bachelor is possible too, but that would have to be on a weekend. 

Edited by Dan
  • Like 1