Note to New Members ×

Afton Alps 2018/19

Scott.Creer

Today's conditions were good.... But someone needs to talk to them (probably gonna be me) about consolidating what runs they close for races and gate practice. I get why the closed 1 today, because there were two courses on it. But 2 was completely closed and there was only gates set on easy two really. Steep two was completely open, but roped off. 7 was also closed for gate training, even though it was only one course for a total of ten kids running it. Talked to the coaches, and they were very nice and said they didn't have an issue with me riding down as long as I wasn't in the gates. That was great for to runs, till the lifty at the top yelled at me for it. I left after that. They should have been training on steep two, which was closed anyways. 

IMG_20190126_103214_01.jpg

13 hours ago, Scott.Creer said:

Today's conditions were good.... But someone needs to talk to them (probably gonna be me) about consolidating what runs they close for races and gate practice. I get why the closed 1 today, because there were two courses on it. But 2 was completely closed and there was only gates set on easy two really. Steep two was completely open, but roped off. 7 was also closed for gate training, even though it was only one course for a total of ten kids running it. Talked to the coaches, and they were very nice and said they didn't have an issue with me riding down as long as I wasn't in the gates. That was great for to runs, till the lifty at the top yelled at me for it. I left after that. They should have been training on steep two, which was closed anyways. 

IMG_20190126_103214_01.jpg

I can relate. Too bad they set it up straight down the middle. 

Why are ski coaches so daft in understanding people pay good money to ride and that they shouldn't use up all the good runs.

Yesterday two skiers were about to set up a course down middle of Olympic. I left. 

On 1/27/2019 at 8:31 AM, bobble said:

I can relate. Too bad they set it up straight down the middle. 

Why are ski coaches so daft in understanding people pay good money to ride and that they shouldn't use up all the good runs.

The coaches I know don't care. If the run is closed to the public the better. That way they don't have some Jerry try and come down the gates "by accident". We reap what we sow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobble said:

FYI... ms. bobble is volunteering at Rock the Slopes sponsored by the Current tomorrow (Saturday) from 9:30 till 1pm.

translation: I will be at Afton too.

🙂

Patti is helping out some kids from Shriners Hospital that are going skiing at Afton, I'll be there on skis

Edited by DonPablo

i agree that it suck the good runs are covered in gates..... but mud is absolutely right. better to have the hill closed than have all the jerrys coming through the course, or worse, cutting across the course. i see it all the time, even with the hills roped off.

it will be crowded with race practices tomorrow. i'll start on a board, but may not be on one long depending on what's available. smart kids will also have other options in their car. bobble, you've been warned. again. 

On 2/1/2019 at 6:00 PM, trent said:

i agree that it suck the good runs are covered in gates..... but mud is absolutely right. better to have the hill closed than have all the jerrys coming through the course, or worse, cutting across the course. i see it all the time, even with the hills roped off.

People can't cut through a course that is set properly on one side or the other of a trail. And I agree for races, or even a GS course, but for kids slalom practice Jerrys are going to stay out, and even if they do enter it isn't a big deal. 

In this particular case, there was another closed trail to use. Or they could have set ropes up down the 1/2 of the trail, instead of closing the whole thing.

Glad I was working on home stuff yesterday.

9 hours ago, Scott.Creer said:

People can't cut through a course that is set properly on one side or the other of a trail. And I agree for races, or even a GS course, but for kids slalom practice Jerrys are going to stay out, and even if they do enter it isn't a big deal. 

In this particular case, there was another closed trail to use. Or they could have set ropes up down the 1/2 of the trail, instead of closing the whole thing.

Glad I was working on home stuff yesterday.

My patience was stretched beyond limits. I'm way too spoiled. Normally I'd leave when Buck lift line rounds the corner. What happened at Afton was maddening. Everyone decided to go skiing.

Trent and I were resigned to ride murder bowl in soft snow. 

• Sad 1

afton should be mostly clear of racers this weekend. ussa kids are at giants all weekend, d-team kids are at coffee mill on sat, and welch sunday. chair 2 may still have some racers, but 1, 3, and 7 should be free to play on (unless there's some event i don't know/care about).

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, trent said:

afton will be bonkers on hills 1,2,3 and maybe 7 both sat and sun this weekend. last races of the year for d-teams. kids and gates everywhere. 

Thanks for the heads-up! I was going to head there on Sunday. Now I'll have to deal with these ice dams. Thanks.

sorry, late warning... 

there will be psia certification sat and sun this weekend (maybe snowboarders too). lots of groups of instructors doing drills, teaching, etc. basically, taking up the whole hill, standing in stupid spots. just. like. ski. patrol. does.🤣

anyway, it could be bad, it could be fine. for the most part, they'll probably be talking a lot in groups, but when they're doing something on the hill, you might have a few runs of frustration.

good news is that the d-team is done for the season, so that's 150 less racer kids on the hill. you'll still have to deal with us ussa bozos, but we're only on hill 2.