Note to New Members ×

Afton Alps 2018/19

Scott.Creer

Sunday 12/09

The day of the broken binding.

Conditions were actually pretty good. 1/2 of 2 was open and good, 1 was pretty good. I was really impressed. 7 was OK but had some holes. 

Michelle's toe strap fell apart before we even got to the lift, so she rode my rocker instead. (her Donek comes on thursday, I am super jealous). My TD3 heel bail on my rear foot ripped out mid turn. Stripped out. I am hoping I can salvage it with some spare parts I have. Scary moment for me though, one footing mid carve feeling the tail pull away from me. 

Plan to be back out Friday Morning. 

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, Scott.Creer said:

My TD3 heel bail on my rear foot ripped out mid turn. Stripped out. I am hoping I can salvage it with some spare parts I have. Scary moment for me though, one footing mid carve feeling the tail pull away from me. 

that's my biggest fear. I've had one incident when rear boot came out of binding only to discover the fintec ripped off and was still in the binding.

hope you have the parts. bomber store is open so maybe you can purchase new ones?

34 minutes ago, Scott.Creer said:

So bad it is separated from the boot

had that happen twice. first was UPS (now UPZ). second was Deeluxe Indy. I was surprised how thin the shell is in that area.

I had posted photos long ago. the BOL hive mind recommendation was to switch from standard bales to step-ins.

the boots with fintec/intecs seemed to last longer... except when the t-nuts that hold them break.

are you going to buy new boots? I remember you saying you had so many problems finding the right boot.

28 minutes ago, bobble said:

are you going to buy new boots? I remember you saying you had so many problems finding the right boot.

Yes. And yes. Upz hurt terribly. The old track 700s were too stiff and didn't hold my heel down in the boot. I think they tightened the heel since then.

I was thinking the track 325s might be good for me. At 160lbs I don't think I weigh enough to flex the race tongue for the others. 

Where it broke, I was really surprised. It ripped the entire ledge off. Those boots did have 5 seasons on them. 

On 12/15/2018 at 8:08 AM, Scott.Creer said:

Yes. And yes. Upz hurt terribly. The old track 700s were too stiff and didn't hold my heel down in the boot. I think they tightened the heel since then.

I was thinking the track 325s might be good for me. At 160lbs I don't think I weigh enough to flex the race tongue for the others. 

Where it broke, I was really surprised. It ripped the entire ledge off. Those boots did have 5 seasons on them. 

I have a pair of clear-yellow Heads I don't use, size 26 I think

12/23

Flat light, granular - not terrible though conditions wise

First run on my self heat fitted track 325s was so terrible I switched to softies. I couldn't get the boots to move at all in the right way. Out of fear and frustration I was quite upset.

After taking a few runs in softies, I decide to suffer through and try to make adjustments. After messing with the canting screws, boots start to move. But I no longer feel centered on the board. Need to make some adjustments. 

Boots are correct size, but my 🐔 legs don't fill out the top and the liner moves inside the shell. Might need to see a boot fitter when I get things adjusted and ridable.

13/31/18

went to afton instead of buck when I saw ski camp set up a course starting at top of crossroads.

there's ice. had most difficult time on chair 7. fell down almost every run on 7. too much ice and loose snow.

I liked the run near chair 13 that usually has the park equipment. I was able to make decent turns at the first pitch. the trick was getting there. the wind was blowing up the hill so I had to go into a tuck. there was a small windrow that was fun to jump and transition to either edge. there was ice but it was close to where trails merged.

I got there at 9:15 and chair 2 and 7 already had races on them. The parking attendents were filling the parking lots from back to front. I went around them and parked near a few other cars near the lift. 

I went to test out boot stuff. Snow was really inconsistent. Hard some places soft in others. 

Left at 10am... Went home to a sick kid and a welding project.

Gonna try to go out tomorrow morning too, need to get these boots figured out.

• Sad 1

On 1/10/2019 at 3:01 PM, trent said:

good news! ussa races at welch, and d-team at troll on saturday. that's about 300 less kids to set race courses set on chair 1,2, 3, and 7 sat morning! there will still be some race training, but should be minimal.

I won't be able to be out till Sunday. 😞

1/12/19

I didn't heed trent's warning about Welch. I pulled into the lot and saw gates all over bakke and lookout. last time I was at welch there were gates on bakke but only the skiers left of lookout.

so I drove to Afton. ran into buck hill regulars there. 

chair 2 is tough... ice underneath. plus lots of skiers.

chair 7 has ice but do-able.

chair 13 is decent except when a pair of ski patrollers are riding right behind me. felt like I was about to be pulled over. they were responding to a woman who accidentally skid into a ravine. I saw her when I rode the chair back up. she was at the bottom of the ravine trying to remove skis.

chair 14 has ice and marbles.

might be out again sunday.

On 1/19/2019 at 1:34 PM, Scott.Creer said:

New liners are here, just haven't gotten them ready yet. 

What liners did you get? I'm not a big fine of the liners that came with my Deeluxe's. I was just thinking last night I have a pair of Intuitions laying around I might remold