Note to New Members ×

Recommended stance width for a big guy

Geof Harries

4 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Question may have been better posed as "build in so much ramp". A little seems fair, a lot seems counter intuitive .

It's most likely cheaper to build a boot with the ramp integral to the shell, rather than involving a removable bootboard.

The latter is superior if one cares to tune the boots to the feet and to the job at hand, but what-ev.

As to being counter intuitive, not really. If you aren't well versed in cause and effect, and you stand in a boot with excess ramp on the retail floor, you'll get the impression of being in an aggressive, assertive position. And so much of being a good rider must certainly depend on being aggressive and 'forward', therefore excess ramp translates to an easy sale.

Back on snow, it's all too common to blame a lack of fitness or athleticism, rather than poor boot design or faulty binding configuration.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your input and opinions. I had a lot of fun reading through all of the responses.

I live in a place (Yukon, Canada) where there's just a couple of alpine carvers so I really appreciate the community and experience that is present here on the forums. Makes me feel like I live in the big city...or in this case, a big city resort!

I've read over everything a few times and think I have decided on a direction. I'll try to sell my F2 - which could be hard; I may just hang onto it - and pick up something shorter, wider, softer and newer at the end of the season. Simply, I need a board that's more fun. This one is just too unwieldy, too often.

Geof 

• Like 1

Hi Geof,

i have a 2000ish?167 MLY that is 22.5 wide with a 10m sidecut in great shape if you want to try that. Just for shipping costs. If it doesn’t work you can ship it back.

Not sure if shipping is a breaker to the Yukon?

Ill sends some pics if you want. 

Thanks Ron

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2018 at 4:53 PM, digger jr said:

Hi Geof,

i have a 2000ish?167 MLY that is 22.5 wide with a 10m sidecut in great shape if you want to try that. Just for shipping costs. If it doesn’t work you can ship it back.

Not sure if shipping is a breaker to the Yukon?

Ill sends some pics if you want. 

Thanks Ron

Ron,

That sounds amazing. Can you post a few pics so I can take a look?

Geof

• 2 weeks later...
On December 7, 2018 at 8:55 AM, Shred Gruumer said:

BTW... That's light!  .... by AMS   American Midwest Standard.   stance.... 54-58 depending on lift and cant..not cannot..

Haha, I appreciate that.

I'll get one of my kids to film me and post the video here. I'd love to get your feedback and tips on what I can improve.

After 30+ years of snowboarding, I know I have some bad habits to break. There's always room to get better and learn.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:14 AM, nextcarve said:

For the angles the most important is to have no overhang. Therefore we have the famous Fuego-Test:

fuego.jpg.e31e55f137239d973ab72a5fe66ab292.jpg

Just adjust in the manner, that the boxes don't touch the boots. Hence the narrower the board, the steeper the angles.

To get the correct binding distance is easy. Just measure the distance from the floor to the middle of your kneecap:

stance.jpg.d627b0e0522208925f95da6ec2328e43.jpg

This is only valid for alpine snowboarding. For softboots the directional stance is wider and for duckstance even more.

That’s an interesting way to measure.

I’m 197cm tall with long legs and a shorter torso.

floor to middle of my kneecap measures 57cm.

Edited by sphynx

2 hours ago, sphynx said:

floor to middle of my kneecap kneecap measures 56.5cm.

It's a starting point. 56.5 is going to be beyond the capabilities of some insert packs.

I like this fellows setup guide.

http://beckmannag.com/hardboot-snowboarding/hardboot-binding-configuration

@sphynx And 56-57cm is not out of the ballpark. I'm similar proportions to you, long legs & shorter torso, but only 182cm tall. I'm currently riding a 56cm stance, having gradually stretched out from 50cm a few years ago, and noticing significant improvements (linked to a number of other changes recently made). Have had a conversations with a couple of other riders on the forum who are 190+cm and it seems board and isolation plate designers are not including this sort of physique into their standard designs.

Had a custom Coiler Nirvana made for me at the beginning of 2017, middle stance distance on the inserts was 54cm, board will allow a 60cm stance. 

Edited by SunSurfer
custom builds for the end of the normal distribution curve

3 hours ago, sphynx said:

floor to middle of my kneecap measures 57cm.

The measurements for softboots and hardboots are not the same. Hardboots always go narrower. Currently I'm 56cm hard (thx @SunSurfer) and 58cm soft. 

41 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

@sphynx And 56-57cm is not out of the ballpark. I'm similar proportions to you, long legs & shorter torso, but only 182cm tall. I'm currently riding a 56cm stance, having gradually stretched out from 50cm a few years ago, and noticing significant improvements (linked to a number of other changes recently made). Have had a conversations with a couple of other riders on the forum who are 190+cm and it seems board and isolation plate designers are not including this sort of physique into their standard designs.

Apex plate goes to 56cm wide, vistflex same. 🙂