Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain 2018-19

bigwavedave

55 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

Can't believe that Minnesota weather (and firm groom) found me here. Just can't get away from it!

Ha! No Minnesota firm groom here today.... close to a foot of nice light fluffy pow when we opened the hill this morning but it got cut up pretty quickly so there’s no carving to be had. If I had my druthers I’d take your conditions!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rode from first chair til about 1:30 and hooked up with Khoward and Jolson for a good part of that. Some of the nicest carving cord I've been on at Spirit this year. It started to get busy after the first couple of hours, but we managed to find clear runs. Went over to the Gandy side when it got busy on the express and found no line at the Gandy chair. The Summit chair started running around noon. I decided to quit when I came down to the express chair and saw the biggest line ever! Just kept on going down to my car.

The first chair tomorrow might have 4 carving boards dangling under it.

FINALLY caught up with two of the three amigo's this year today.....Great riding with Ken and Dave and looking forward to seeing Russ tomorrow as they said he would be patrolling and on the slopes...….biggest change is my new conviction to start buying lotto tickets cause short of a win my getting to the hill is going to remain far less than I prefer...…..see you guys tomorrow for some flat light riding.....but riding none the less!  First tracks till about 11:30 till my grandson arrives and I will work with him the rest of the day.....

IMG_4003-2.thumb.jpg.eda2509f46b78a5843bc9ba443b2555e.jpgCarvable firm groom and good light. Great morning riding with Russ, Dave and Jim. 

Blew out another TD3 binding. They should hire me to test them. Felt a hard snap on my front binding and brought it to a safe stop with a toe side J-Turn.

The toe side heel bail sheared off at the lug. Fortunately, I was parked at the bottom of the hill rather than at the top, but it was a long walk.

Rode the Coiler the rest of the morning. Just invested in new TD3 Sidewinders and a whole new heel block assembly.

Planning first chair tomorrow 🙂

2 hours ago, khoward said:

Planning first chair tomorrow 🙂

Another great day of carving:1luvu: Trenches 1-3" deep, hero groom:biggthump 4 carvers:ices_angeMore sun than forecast with scattered clouds and a brisk NE wind carrying intermittent flurries ❄️from the frozen lake and up the hill🌬️ forced us to practice our best aerodynamic tuck at the top of the hill.

Not quite as busy as yesterday. Managed to have a clear run most of the time. Moved over to Gandy chair after the first hour or so and found virtually no lift line. 4 hours and done!

See you in the morning!

Most of Lake Superior is frozen over, so the snow machine is turned down to low for awhile, at least for Duluth and western U.P.

Rode with Ken again today. Jane was there too.:biggthump Sun came out and there seemed to be fewer people on the hill today. Groom is getting firmer, still great carving!  Rode the first chair with boarder patroller Don.

BigWaveDave and the ripples?...Ken & Jane on a couple of my old boards...(the ripples would be my recycled old boards, not Ken & Jane)...:ices_ange

IMG_3286.JPG.f7834a9c24ad2b41fa8fa338a1215dac.JPG

IMG_3288.JPG.9f3ff625674b661152d12c09f6371abb.JPG

• Like 1

Tuesday, February 19

The groom was a bit firmer yet after the long holiday weekend and the sky cloudless; Duluth schools are out this week so a bit busier than a normal weekday. Hooked up with Ken early then we met friends Hazen from Idaho in hard boots on an F2 Diablo and Greg from Cornicopia, WI on tele skis so we proudly showed them around both sides of our hill. Jane joined us later as well!

More snow on the way too!

Edited by rwmaron
Add forecast

Soft 1st day groom over on the Gandy side and 2nd day groom on the express side. It was all good:biggthumpSunshine til 2:30.:1luvu: Rode with Russ and Ken all morning. Saw Jim out in the afternoon. More snow tonight through Sunday. Looks like U.P. gets about a foot or more from this one.:eek:

Rode the 185

IMG_3296.jpg.34b937c3d01081f17258a8641362a415.jpg

...Oh...and Jane was there too...:biggthump

• Like 1

Tuesday, February 26 - The temperature was in the single digits, there was no wind, filtered sun through high clouds, and the usual impeccable Spirit firm groom at the noon open and surprisingly no one else showed up....I'm not kidding - I've never seen as few winter sports enthusiasts on the hill as I did today - at least until 2 bus loads of after schoolers showed up at 3:30, but I was done by then! 

• Like 1

Was out yesterday for 3 runs. Flat light and needed different wax - very slow. 

Beautiful sun and groom this AM, but Express Lift has been down since 4PM yesterday and they’re waiting for a part. Snow Cat ride over to the C Lift. That was stopping every 30 seconds. Took 20 minutes to get up. Taking a long break in the Grand Ave Chalet till the Gandy Lift opens.