Note to New Members ×

Spirit Mountain 2018-19

bigwavedave

Finally moved my tiny house up to the St Louis river at the base of Spirit Mt. I'll be up there this weekend working on the house. I expect I won't be able to resist taking some breaks to make some turns on the slopes, despite it being opening weekend and with the snowmobile cross. The slopes are looking better than usual for this time of year, hoping Friday's warm-up doesn't change that. I'm now living the life of @bobble only 5 minutes from the hill which I can see out my back window!

IMG_2560.JPG.51f62ddcac2a9a6834cfcdd2a2f478d9.JPG

btw, Indianhead is looking great on the webcams. They've had a bit more lake-effect snow than Duluth.

• Haha 1

No opening day "white ribbon of death" this year. Groomed full width!

IMG_2551.jpg.0d602fdf78a74741e4878765e92eeb05.jpg

I sat back and managed to get out of sync with the 50 or so people who fought to get those first chairs.  That way I had a clear slope riding down as they were all riding back up. After about an hour it started to get busier so I called it a day. Snow was pretty good.  Everything was groomed just before opening at 10am.(4pipe, double jaw, scissor bill and Bindle stiff). It was above freezing so the snow was mostly soft, yet fast with some of icy hard crunchy patches. Deep carves could find a hard under surface. My new Superconductor was making snappy air-born turns and never lost an edge even though I could hear those icy spots.

IMG_2553.jpg.84e1bd163584ebe27dd8444dd9dfac0a.jpgIMG_2557.jpg.6c1929b8f8db954da7e360099ec5f845.jpg

Update 8pm: Well it's raining pretty good out there now and 39 degrees. Maybe Sunday will be better when it gets cold again.

Rained pretty hard all Friday night and intermittently on Saturday.  This morning was encouragingly sunny and below freezing . Not surprised to find frozen groom, although with a deceptive dusting of sugar, otherwise known as "surface groom".  Areas that were not frozen solid felt like carving on frozen marbles. It was a bumpy ride. Managed to find some isolated carvable piles of sugar (more like frosting), but I still called it quits after about 1 1/2 hrs when it began to get busy.

We need some lake effect snow please!

Oh, I saw a young woman on carving board & hard boots heading down as I was coming up, but never saw her again.

1 1/2 inches overnight and still snowing a bit today. Stopped by to check on the hill and the surface feels better than last Sunday, so I plan to go out tomorrow (Friday, open at noon). Maybe they'll have a couple more runs open.

Saw lots of x-c skiers on the new trail system at the bottom of the hill--they were zipping down the bottom of 4pipe--the snow looked soft, not icy.

Rode with Russ for a couple of hours today in flat light, almost foggy. Not too crowded, but had to look out for the yellow/brown man made snow (river water tannins) which was firmer (icy and chunky). The white stuff was pretty nice for carving, although 2 inch deep carves found ice under the soft stuff, so it made one concentrate on good riding form. So, there's a good hard base, we just need several inches of natural snow to make for happy, carefree carving.

Might have to consider a trip over to the U.P. if they continue getting lake effect snow. Not much snow in the forecast for Spirit next week. Have to remind myself it's still relatively early in the season and the best start we've had in several years.

Drove by the hill this evening. They're blowing a lot of snow on the XC trails at the bottom. Wish they'd add some to the slopes that got rained on:smashfrea

I was looking at the webcam last night and saw it was snowing lightly (maybe 1/2 inch?), then I saw several skiers going down the hill. The express lift was not running (maybe Skyhooker?)  Some kind of VIP night?

btw, Spirit doesn't open till noon tomorrow.

Blackjack had almost 2 feet of lake effect snow in the past week and Indianhead opens next Friday!

Rode with @rwmaron from opening at noon. Lasted about 2 hours. The riding is still rough on the knees with an ice base covered by a firm 2" groom. Flat light to start and then sun for our last few runs when everyone seemed to be inside taking a break.:biggthump  I find myself longing for @softbootsurfer's soft Aspen groom. We need snow...Patience...

If I get the call to help with the NorAm races,  I'll be down at Buck Hill next weekend. Hope the snow is softer there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, bobble said:

@bigwavedave are you cozy in your tiny house? What's the snow like there?

Heading up this afternoon with a load of firewood in the trunk next to the boards! I will file a snow report later. Might you be coming up after the snow?

18 minutes ago, rwmaron said:

Russ chiming I’m here....4-6” of snow last night, still snowing today (and foggy); more snow and colder temps expected tonight.

Looks like we may get several inches of powder on top of all the wet stuff for tomorrow morning:1luvu:I might have to drive all the way around to the top of the hill to get first tracks, and I'm packing the wide boards:biggthump

Spirit will be open at 9:30 each day through New Year's day.

1 hour ago, bigwavedave said:

Heading up this afternoon with a load of firewood in the trunk next to the boards! I will file a snow report later. Might you be coming up after the snow?

Looks like we may get several inches of powder on top of all the wet stuff for tomorrow morning:1luvu:I might have to drive all the way around to the top of the hill to get first tracks, and I'm packing the wide boards:biggthump

Spirit will be open at 9:30 each day through New Year's day.

I'll be heading up Friday afternoon. Ride Saturday.Return home Sunday. 

• Like 1

Well, nothing like the forecast above. There was about 2-3" of wet snow on the ground when I got here last night. Temps have been hovering around freezing with another 2" of wet snow overnight. A blustery NE wind is producing some light lake effect snow this morning as the temps drop. Spirit reports "over a foot" of snow. Maybe they got more snow on the hill a mile from where I am. Should see soon. Conditions should certainly be much better than they have been.

Much more snow apparently along the north shore. Lutsen reporting about 15". Finland close to 20".

update 11AM: Snow is pretty nice, a firm chalky groom with a light dusting blowing into piles on the edges. Nothing near what Spirit's website deceptively reported by citing the snowfall report from the Duluth airport which is about 12mi north and inland from the lake!

The parking lot at the top was filling up fast and early. Flat light and a lot of folks on the hill first thing, looking for the nonexistent foot of pow. I'm taking a break and plan go back out when the crowds thin and the sun burns through the clouds.

update 4pm: back on the hill at 2pm with the sun:1luvu:out and many folks in the chalet (and not on the hill). Chopped up crud and cold wind but great snow for carving!:biggthump

It should be very nice tomorrow and Sunday, but it will be busy (lots of kids in "Holiday Camp"). Hint: Get here early and take a run before the lift starts up at 9:30. Then after the first hour or so, or when it starts getting busy, take an early break, then get back out as kids go in for cocoa and people come off the hill for lunch.

Bob and I rode the first chair this AM with very few people on the hill for the first hour or so due the single digit temps, a north wind and overcast. Snow was very nice carving 2-4 inch trenches, best on the Express side (4pipe, Double jaw, sissorbill). Bindle, Sky and Gandy were all inconsistent with soft snow, crust and ice chunks. Cinder and terrain park closed with snowmaking.

Fresh tracks under the chair show about 6" of new snow on the ground from the recent storm. We rode for about 3 hours with 2 breaks before quitting mid afternoon due to a crowded hill, and being cold and tired. Sun came out mid day:1luvu:

PS, as we rode up the Gandy chair and got a look at the surface, we could tell it was a hard and bumpy groom. I said "let's go back over to the other side", and @bobble said something like, "hell, we have to do it for @Corey". So, one run and then back over to the whimpy side of the hill where the snow was good and the lines long.

• Haha 1

Drove to the hill this morning wearing my boots, @bobble style, except with the added challenge of a standard transmission and clutch....and there's Bob getting dropped off by Ms Bobble for a morning sesh (lured to the hill by a brief appearance of the sun). We had two hours of really nice carving with uncrowded runs, warmish temps and perfect snow making 3-4" trenches. Eventually our luck ran out and we found ourselves at the end of a long lift line at the bottom. We took a break and tried once more when the sun came out, had a nice run, but there was even more people at the bottom.

Looking forward to 4-6" of snow in the next 24 hours and a sunny , but cold forecast for New Years day:1luvu:Planning on first tracks to start the new year out right:biggthump

No sign of @nelsonboat

good time this morning. once again, got crowded out at noon.

@bigwavedave we did take that road that lead to 35W. the ride was very scenic. the trees looked like they were frocked with snow. in future, that'll be the way we leave.

HOW TO ADDRESS PROBLEM OF LONG CHAIRLIFT LINES?

time to work on your GI-Joe Kung Fu grip.

second runner up... SPORT OF THE FUTURE OR GTFO!!!

there was a video that i cannot find on youtube but it was posted couple years ago on bomber. someone mounted a jet to a snowboard. IIRC, the rider was on an alpine setup. the rider went up a small pitch and back. it was impressive amount of thrust but carrying fuel (not electric!) made it look like a carving fire bomb.

if you do a youtube search for jet powered snowboard you'll see this... imagine coming to a stop and the weight of the jet causes you to catch downhill edge. pretty sketchy.

22 minutes ago, bobble said:

good time this morning. once again, got crowded out at noon.

@bigwavedave we did take that road that lead to 35W. the ride was very scenic. the trees looked like they were frocked with snow. in future, that'll be the way we leave.

Sounds like you took 23 all the way to Askov?

I stopped by the hill as the lights were coming on around 4pm. The lower parking lot was almost full, the lift line was just as long as when we left (probably the same line), and...the Summit chair was running!

5" of fluffy pow on top of groom this morning, and still snowing! 4pipe groomed down the center, everything else had 5+inches, as the wind was making deeper piles.

Had a lot of fun. This new stick really slices through the tracked out stuff, yet the nose seems to lift to the surface in the untracked snow. Love it when it you can't help but holler out, so much fun:1luvu: 

IMG_3011.thumb.jpg.8aed2b1afef48bd2d14687362b16c368.jpg