Note to New Members ×

Vancover's Carvers' Diaries 2018/19

BlueB

We had decent conditions today! Crowd was way bigger then on a normal week day, even the Lodge parking was paid, as on the weekends. 

It started as pretty good hard pack, with some man made at the spots. Guns blasting full speed everywhere. Later it bumped up somewhat, with some ice at the spots. Humpty and lower Horizon are in a bad shape still, the rest was fine. No blacks open yet, except for the uppermost short stretch of Bowen. 

I rode the M and S OES. They performed really well in these conditions. 

Pow on forecast for next 2 days. I probably have to teach, there's shortage of staff in the school. 

Huh, what a busy day! This weekend the snow school is very short staffed, so I volunteered to teach both days. A bit of a bummer, as we had some fresh snow and entire crew was there playing... I got to ride my OES M only for 2 runs between two long lessons... 

With one of the groups we got to share a chair ride with Brett Tippie. He's always so stoked about the sport! 

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you Vancouver carvers planning on dropping into The RACES in Revelstoke?  It's not too far away, the conditions have been excellent all season, there's free accommodation, amazing terrain, and a handful of dedicated carvers to ride and drink with.  January 25th to Feb 10th.  @BlueB?  Want to bring out those prototypes?

2 hours ago, crackaddict said:

Any of you Vancouver carvers planning on dropping into The RACES in Revelstoke?  It's not too far away, the conditions have been excellent all season, there's free accommodation, amazing terrain, and a handful of dedicated carvers to ride and drink with.  January 25th to Feb 10th.  @BlueB?  Want to bring out those prototypes?

I'd love to be part of that, you are really amazing with free accomodation... However, I think it will be imposible for me, with 2 trips to exams and another longer one coming up, the Snow School will kill me for never being there... 

On 1/1/2019 at 10:41 PM, BlueB said:

Otherwise, are you guys riding? How are those OES boards? 

Not with all this rain 🤬

23 hours ago, crackaddict said:

Any of you Vancouver carvers planning on dropping into The RACES in Revelstoke? 

You make it sound so tempting. Been considering putting my name down on the "maybe" list and it depends on whether I can escape from work. I'll be sure to let you know what happens.

13 hours ago, charliechocolate said:

Been considering putting my name down on the "maybe" list

I'll take a "maybe".  Wicked! 

Anyone else?  I know you guys have been itching to ride Revy...

Keep an eye on the snow report.  Right now it's dumping, the corduroy is buried deep.  https://www.revelstokemountainresort.com/conditions/snow-report

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to give the report on Thursday night ride, I guess.... All that needs to becsaud us thst we git luck - the rain stopped for 2 hours of training session... Board: Arbor, duck footed with plates... 

We've skipped today,  expecting rain that never came... Will be back uo the hill tomorrow. 

Monday morning had way better conditions than I expected. Colder temps overnight plus some snowmaking did the trick! Of course it "suggered up" in the pm, but not as badly as on Sunday. 

I rode my Arbor/duck/plates monstrosity for both morning and pm instructor training sessions... 

If all the snow that's on forecast for next 24 hours comes true, I'll have to go on Wednesday morning too 🙂

Edited by BlueB

Soooo, everyone in Vancouver got that bug, Patrick was getting 🙂 Parkings were full all the way down the mountain! I had to pull some magic to make my way to the lodge parking. Weekend type of crowd on Wednesday... 

However, the symptoms ot the bug turned out different then everyone expected - instead of bluebird pow, we were surprised by poorly groomed hard pack, frozen moguls and nasty crunch 😞 Sunny, though. 

Crew: Patrick on Nirvana, B on OES AM S. 

Quite a foggy day. It never really cleared, but kept moving up and down. On a bright side, that cloud kept the snow in pretty good condition all day. Very carvable! 

Patrick was up for a 2hr lesson and we made the most of the available conditions. We also saw Nikita and hooked up for few runs in the pm. 

Run of the day: Windjammer. 

Toys: B: Loony in the AM, ElDiablo in the PM; Patrick: Nirvana; Nikita: Coiler Chubby 

Morning fog dispersed and we were left with a gorgeous sunny day and big crowds... Snow waa was excellent and grooming semi-decent on JJA, which was the run of the day in the AM. It the PM I rode the Raven, to avoid crowds. 

Toys: Patrick: Nirvana; B: WCRM and Arbor. 

Sunday morning fog dispersed and we were left with a gorgeous sunny day and big crowds... Snow waa was excellent and grooming semi-decent on JJA, which was the run of the day in the AM. It the PM I rode the Raven, to avoid crowds. 

Toys: Patrick: Nirvana; B: WCRM and Arbor. 

Sea of clouds, below: 

20190127_094711.jpg

And some experimental monstrosity in the PM. Don't even ask... I have some bizare reasons: 

20190127_132543.jpg

Belive it or not, it actually worked just fine. 

Edited by BlueB

Monday morning had ok hard pack on flatter runs and increadible amount of death cookies / crunch on steep blues, that they somehow tried to pass for grooming?!? In the pm even Collins turned into a pretty serrious mogul field, while Panorama and Windjammer held a bit better. Crowd was huge - most schools had a proD day, today. 

I rode my new monstrosity contraption, whole day... 

Pretty good carvable snow last night. No crowd either! 

I had a very small group of instructors and we made unbelievable progress. I wish i had fillmed it all! 

My beave dad is visiting again and insisted to ski. He lasted for 1.5hr, quite a phenomenon, considering that he technically doesn't have knees any more. 

Toy: OES AM, carved butifully through uneven snow. 

It started to snow at about 6:30, but turned to rain by 8, at lodge level. Unfortunately, it carried on like that through the night 😫

A bit cloudy in the am, but sunny later. Frozen corduroy turned into dense slush, or suger on ice, depwnfing on the location. Poorly groomed JJA, but nice Windjammer! I fooled on groomers in the am, then moved to moguls under Sky chair in the pm... 

Crew/toys: Patrick on Kessler SL, Nikita with Chubby, B on WCRM in am then OES AM in pm. We saw another asian guy, Matt on Pan's old Scott and another guy who absolutely killed it on fwd stance softies and a BX board. 

Some mini park fun: 

G_20190202_1807202.gif

Edited by BlueB

Wow, weird weather continues... The snow came much later in the night and didnt acumulare much. However it was cold, so guns blasting full strength. Wind, low vis and mixed snow conditions made for pretty unpleasant ride... 

Crew: Patrick - Nidecker, B - OES AM, and my brave dad on skis... 

On the last run of the day, Luka decided to go really big on a jump, landed in a huge rut, double ejected from skis, flew forward and planted the face. I found him in the Patrol hut, face all scratched and bruised. He's looks like he was in a serious fight. 😵

Much better conditions today! Lots of man made snow was used to improve the greens and blues. Crisp cold, semi-sunny weather in the am, sunny in the pm. 

Very nice instructor training sessions, I rode the "monstrosity" in the am and OES AM in pm... 

Edited by BlueB

Surprisingly, we had really nice carving conditions tonight! JJA was a tad too rippled, with some iced places, but Winjammer/ Panorama were great! 

Toy: OES AM, soft flex carves like a demon on flatter runs! 

Edited by BlueB