Note to New Members ×

New Tanker

daveo

On 8/13/2018 at 5:36 PM, davekempmeister said:

Hi Sandy,

I will definitely be buying one or a few if they aren't all rocker.  Are there traditional, full camber profiles ?  Mix ?  I saw some other threads about this but did not pay attention if this was already addressed.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave, they will have early rise nose and slightly de cambered tails with mini camber (~5mm) between the contact points.

cheers,

sandy

On 8/14/2018 at 1:33 PM, Spiny Norman said:

Where are they being made?

In Europe. 

No longer being done at the K2 factory in China,

6 hours ago, David Kirk said:

I've ridden Tankers for coming on 20 years I think and I love them.....that said the new design confuses me. The short effective edge compared to the overall length is an unusual design choice and I wonder why they went that way? Does anyone know what the logic is?

dave

Dave,

the new shape is designed to allow the board to be more turny when at slow speeds and make turn initiation easier.

there is less effective edge when the board is tracking flat, but once you put the board on edge, you will actually have more effective edge than the old Tankers as the contact points progressively change when you move the board from flat on the snow to on edge.

Also, both the torsional and longitudinal flex patterns were adjusted to make the board feel better with this new design. It is a completely new ride.

like you, I have owned and ridden every Tanker made (and some one off prototypes) and this new shape is different but fun.

hope that helps,

sandy

Edited by svr

1 minute ago, svr said:

Dave,

the new shape is designed to allow the board to be more turny when at slow speeds and make turn initiation easier.

there is less effective edge when the board is tracking flat, but once you put the board on edge, you will actually have more effective edge than the old Tankers as the contact points progressively change when you move the board from flat on the snow to on edge.

hope that helps,

sandy

Interesting....when I look at the shape I can't see how the effective edge gets longer when you put it on edge. The sidewalls are more or less parallel on the tip and tail and when you put it on edge on a firm surface the effective contact would still be short as the sidecut doesn't run to the ends of the board. In other words if you tilt it and push on it when it's up on edge the extended parallel edge sections at the ends would not be engaged with the surface. Of course I'm talking about a hard surface that the board rides on and not one the board is down in.

It does look like it would ride up and over stuff and release from a turn very nicely with what are really long and gradual tip and tail lifts.

dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OH Boy... should have not shown me these!!!  Hmmm I'll be working the 186 somehow...I'd go with 201 but board bags for travel is tough...I have a Monster Dakine 200 but they only last one season as the airlines conveyers tear them apart...no..im not shipping my boards... Wish the 186 was 25cm instead of 26cm waist.... 23cm and its in Coiler Monster Territory (Plankenstien).  hmm maybe 181.

So does any have actual photos... that would be nice....

Edited by Shred Gruumer
To say hi to Jack

6 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

OH Boy... should have not shown me these!!!  Hmmm I'll be working the 186 somehow...I'd go with 201 but board bags for travel is tough...I have a Monster Dakine 200 but they only last one season as the airlines conveyers tear them apart...no..im not shipping my boards... Wish the 186 was 25cm instead of 26cm waist.... 23cm and its in Coiler Monster Territory (Plankenstien).  hmm maybe 181.

So does any have actual photos... that would be nice....

Shred,

There are some pics here:

https://www.instagram.com/radairsnowboards/

cheers,

sandy

• 1 month later...