POV surf style carving @ Cardrona

SunSurfer

Just a quick outtake from 9th August at Cardrona for all you Northern Hemisphere types sweating through summer. Nigel C and I rode together for much of yesterday (Sat, 11th), but there is no video evidence of what went down. After today's high winds there's a lot of ice and grit/rocks exposed so we need some fresh snow.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
Posted (edited)

Yesterday was one of my best half days at Cardrona. The first 90 minutes were amazing, then the crowds arrived and by lunchtime it had clouded over with flat light. Closed due to high winds and snow as I write.

On my 174cm Coiler Nirvana Energy Torsion+, 0.4mm Titanal, Ptex top, built 2017. 
Hope this cools down your summer somewhere.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, slapos said:

@SunSurfer

what are you carrying in your hands?

Cardrona looks awesome!

Hand armour/helmets.

2013 I smashed my dominant (R) hand index finger proximal phalanx into 7 pieces (including breaks in the joint surface) in a fall in a NASTAR course. The bone had been leveraged against the end of my wrist guard. An orthopedic surgeon took two and a half hours, and 3 tiny screws to put the bone back together. A year of hand exercises got my finger back to full range of movement, and it's not yet become arthritic.

As an anesthesiologist, I make my living with my hands and brain. I wear a helmet on my head, why not put helmets on my hands. Slalom skiers punch guards were my first inspiration. Boone Lennon's Gliders were my 2nd (see the Vimeo video below).

https://vimeo.com/7628238     (Privacy settings prevent the video being linked directly)

What you see was made out of 1.5 litre HDPE garden spray pots from my local hardware store and a pair of old ski poles. The round shape absorbs the direct impact in a fall, then they slide across the snow being HDPE. I find my whole upper limb is protected by this gradual dissipation of impact energy. The long axis profile was picked because of it's resemblance to a ski tip so that when I touch down they slide and don't catch. My gloves and fingers are safely inside.

I've posted these before on the Forum (search for "hand armour"). When I've offered other riders the chance to try them I've had very few takers. I get the distinct impression that my hand helmets are just not "cool".

I'm just a "Knuckle Dragger" who's ahead of his time. They are, however, great for starting conversations on the chairlift!

Cardrona is not often that good. But during the 90 minute span those runs were shot in (and a few more that didn't make the cut) it was AWESOME!!!!!!!

PS: My next iteration hand armour is due for trial on this trip, as part of a setup which is at the intersection of skiing/snowboarding/skwalling. Yet to make it onto the snow but I have plenty of time to shoot the stills and video.

Edited by SunSurfer