Note to New Members ×

SOLD: Donek FC Secret 167cm

jburk

For sale is a Donek FC Secret 167cm, bought directly from Donek in October 2017.  I had originally contacted Sean about ordering a MetalFC, but then we decided to build an FC with the Secret construction instead.  

$500 shipped within the CONUS, Paypal only please.  If sold at that price I will donate $25 back to ASB.  Sean invoiced this board as equivalent to a MetalFC, so this is less than 1/2 price from when new.  Board only, TD3's not included (I no longer have the bindings, sold them last year).

167 cm, 18.5 cm waist, 8.5m-10.5m sidecut

Built for a 165 lb. rider, and the inserts are at a 49cm reference stance.  Topsheet and edges are 9/10, base is 8/10.  This board probably has around 25 days on it.

The board has never been ground, but I did have a tech fill in a couple of minor scratches prior to putting a coating of storage wax on it at the end of the season; the scratches were only about twice the depth of the structure, no core shots.  I had originally asked the tech to give it a base grind, but he said the scratches were minor enough that a ptex repair was a better way to go.  Topsheet has no scratches, but does have a couple of nicks on the edge as shown in one of the attachments.

If you're curious about how it rides, here's a review from @snowjob of his 180 cm version of an FC Secret (this is not my board), it matches up my impressions of my 167.

http://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/topic/45822-donek-180-freecarve-with-secret-construction/

Once I get any inquiries, I'll scrape off the storage wax and send some high-res pics of the base.

fc-167.JPG

IMG_2677.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

Motivated to sell this board, I have a Thirst SF on the way that I need to make room for.  Replacing it with a pimped-out SF due to the difference in riding styles between Thirsts and this board, this Donek liked to have the nose weighted when initiating turns, and the Thirsts all like the rider to remain centered during the entire turn.  It was too weird switching back and forth from the Thirst->Donek->Thirst...

This board is a blast to ride: fast, turny, and damp, but not twitchy.  Could ride it flat at speed without qualms, not hooky at all.  Very well mannered, it will do anything you ask of it at any speed, with really good edge hold that must come from the Secret construction.  It will crank turns as hard as you will ask of it, but is happy with larger turns as well with the 10.5 SCR in the tail.  Can also predictably feather turns at high speed, it was like drifting the rear wheel on a dirt bike, would hang out until you gave it a shot, at which time it would hook up predictably again.

• 3 weeks later...

Buy this at the posted $500 shipped CONUS price and I'll donate $25 back to ASB.  Make this go away, I have boards and bindings to pay for!

The only reason I can think of that this board hasn't sold yet is the relatively narrow waist, but at 18.5cm it's wider than an MK's 18cm waist...

35 minutes ago, RobertAlexander said:

If you tell what the secret is.

Only Sean Martin knows for sure, and he's not telling.  It's based on the construction of his Secret race boards, the non-metal (but not fiberglass) alternative to the Rev.  Sean used that same construction but likely with less or thinner layers of whatever it is that makes the race boards so very damp.

Quote from the Donek Secret race board page https://www.donek.com/product/secret/#topsheet:

Metal Race boards have always been the key to success in a race course.  Unfortunately, titanal construction metal boards are more prone to delamination or bending than traditional construction.  Titanal has also become harder and harder to obtain in grades that can be used in snowboards.  We decided to find another solution to the problem and build a whole new class of race boards.  We introduced a top secret construction demo fleet at the 2017 USASA Nationals to see what people thought of this new approach.  It was such a success that we decided to call the model Secret.

The Secret’s metallic construction is damper than a titanal construction race board, yet as durable as traditional constructions.  How can you go wrong there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh man, you have me wriggling on the hook.  It fits my weight, my little Mondo 26 feet and my little 250 foot hill.  I guess I'll call dibs for a few hours to get in a question.  You call it an FC with Secret construction, but Donek lists the current Secret as a race board.  The 8.5 - 10.5 sidecut sure seems more like an FC versus a Race board that typically would have a larger sidecut for the tail.  So is this a "standard" secret, or is it a special build by Sean using Secret construction on an FC? 

1 minute ago, Wolf said:

is it a special build by Sean using Secret construction on an FC? 

That's exactly what it is.  I was going to order a MetalFC, but then we got talking about the Secret vs the metal Rev boards, and he basically built a Secret with the MetalFC / Freecarve geometry, and tuned the flex of the Secret construction to be more suitable to freeriding rather than racing.

• jburk changed the title to SOLD: Donek FC Secret 167cm
On 7/16/2018 at 2:04 PM, jburk said:

If sold at that price I will donate $25 back to ASB.

It did indeed sell at my asking price, so I've donated $25 as promised. 

Thanks, Jack, for keeping this board running, glad to help cover the operating costs!

Wow! This arrived fast! I have to give a big five star rating to John (jburk).  The board looks beautiful with just the very minor marks he described, it was packaged great and he even put a scraper in the box because he shipped it with a lot of storage wax.  I don't have a nice scraper - well, I do now.

I call dibs on the next thing John puts up for sale.  Doesn't matter what it is or if it is remotely useful to me, I'll take it!

• Like 1

Wait.  There was a scraper?  LOL and damn! 

You can thank Mark at Thirst Snowboards @BLOODTYPEZX10R  for that, he includes a scraper with every board he ships, and I re-used the box my new SF came in for your board. I must have missed the scraper when I unpacked my SF, tore into the packaging like a kid at Xmas on a sugar cookie high.  Good thing it's the second Thirst I've bought, I'm using the scraper that shipped with my SuperConductor in May.

• Like 1

It can keep the BOL bag the board shipped in company.  I had gotten that from another seller on the old BOL site for just the shipping costs IIRC, so it seemed right to pass it along, I don’t need it as both my Thirst boards shipped in their own baby blanket case.