Note to New Members ×

Youth Snowboard

Toodles

Looking for advice on a board for my daughter.

She's 14 yrs old, 5'5", 122 lbs.

She was using an old 1998 Burton Alp 156 last season that is in pretty bad shape.

I've been looking at the YYZCANUCK website and found the F2 Speedster Equipe SL 145cm which looks like its made for youth and smaller woman riders, but might be a size too small for her and wouldn't grow with her.  Looks like this is the largest size available and is rated to 55 kg/120 lbs max.

There is also the F2 Speedster GTS in 158 cm (40-60 kg/90-135 lbs) or the 163 cm (50-75 kg/110 - 165 lbs).

What are peoples thoughts on either of these boards.  She is a recreational rider that is looking at doing some home area racing in the next year or two.

Thanks

F2 makes a great product and YYZCanuck provides great service.  The GTS looks like a good fit.  Probably the 158 if she is still approaching the sport, 163 if she is advanced or aggressive.  I agree with you that the 145 is not enough.  You should also check out Coiler custom snowboards which is relatively close to you in Oro Medonte.  Some of the finest boards in the world, at good prices.  On the same level is Donek, but they're in Colorado.  Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I have both the GTS 158 and a Equipe SL 139... My 12 years old son began his carving with the SL 139 but it was a bit too much for him. For next season he will start on softboots and try the GTS when he feels ready. The GTS is easier to ride for a beginner... My wife did her second carving season on the GTS and liked it, now she rides a custom Coiler Nirvana Energy 165, with a flex for 125lbs, she loves it!

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking the F2 GTS 158 is a good fit so far.  I had her on an old Burton ALP 156 and also on a 164 Burton Factory Prime.  She didn't like the Factory Prime, said it was a bit to much for her and hard to turn.  I think she liked the softer flex of the ALP and shorter length.

Getting ahold of Bruce at Coiler is pretty tough.. he's only about 45 minutes away.  The cost of the F2 from YYZCanuck is great and they are close to me as well.  Don't really want to go for a full custom board and then have her decide its not her thing anymore.

• Like 1

She was riding the ALP this past season in hardboots.  She did ride a regular snowboard with softboots for awhile but didn't like it, wanted to go for the carving board in hardboots.

She previously was a ski racer and has since left that.

The ALP is in rough shape, blown out edge in the back, delaminating in one area and just generally worn out.

Edited by Toodles
addition

• 7 months later...

So YYZ is steering me away from the 158cm F2 GTS and saying the 153cm might be a better fit.  Just going by the stats on the board, the 153 is rated for 30-50 kg rider (66 - 110 lbs) where the 158 cm is rated for 40-60 kg rider (88 - 132 lbs).

My daughter is 120-125 lbs right now, so she falls outside the rated weight for the 153 cm board.  YYZ is saying the F2 boards are actually stiffer then they are rated for and the smaller board would be better.  Does anyone have any experience with this board.. are they correct in saying the 153 board is a better fit?  YYZ no longer has the 158 cm board available, but does have the 153 cm board in stock.  I can still find the 158 board on ebay if needed...

I own a GTS 158, and I would say it is a relatively stiff board for the intended weight range. I weigh 72 kg (158 lbs), and the board feels roughly the right stiffness for me. However, this is an entry level board with low grip on hardpack, and it is very easy to skid around - which might be a good thing for a first board. My wife has also used it, but neither of us prefer it for "proper" carving sessions.

There is also a Kessler Alpine 156 in the house. This is super soft, super capable and really easy to ride well. I love this board, but I never ride it, since my wife keeps it permanently attached to her feet. I sometimes think this could be a better board for myself than my K168. 

Can not recommend the K156 highly enough, and you would never "grow out of it" in terms of the board's limits. Jolly expensive though - but I think you get a lot for your money with Kesslers.

Also, as mentioned further up the page: Coiler will make you something quite similar to a Kessler, tailored for weight and riding style, with custom graphics, for half the price.

Just thought of another point: The GTS is an old fashioned, single radius board. It is only happy at lower speeds and tight turns, so if you go a little too fast, it loses composure. It is still fun - given the right conditions, but a modern raceboard will give you a wider range of speeds and turn shapes to play with.

If you think the 158 is stiff for an adult male at 158 lbs, I'm guessing it will be too stiff for a 125 lbs teen girl.  Maybe the 153 is the better choice.  She is a beginner and this would be her first board that wasn't borrowed from someone else and not built 10 yrs before she was born..