Note to New Members ×

One Wheel Carving

softbootsurfer

I just put a rounder profile treaded tire after 950 mi on the XR; the vega slick the corners are worn thin. The Burris tread makes for smoother more nimble carving but I do miss the more definite edge of the  Vega for high speed long radius turn on open pavement. but for trail riding the burris excells.

1050miles on the XR in since last july, 250mi on the pint since sept.

Edited by b0ardski

• 3 weeks later...

Paid some dues this week:smashfrea

doing super quick goose schit slalom on the beach path:eplus2:

turned too sharp and in a blink my wheel Joe Jitsued me on my back (so sowwy) and bounced my helmet off the pavement. I was fully padded but nothing hit but back and head;. was only going 5-6 mph thank fully but it sure made climbing scaffold this week painful.

felt like folding the nose on a slalom boardBAM

mt bike jacket may be in my future, any suggestions?

Edited by b0ardski

that might be overkill on the chest protection:freak3:,  I was thinking more along the lines of elbow/shoulder/back padded mesh jacket easy on/off,

helmet and full pads don't give me false security, but not wearing them makes me feel anxious, nervous and hesitant.

Edited by b0ardski

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2020 at 12:31 PM, b0ardski said:

Paid some dues this week:smashfrea

doing super quick goose schit slalom on the beach path:eplus2:

turned too sharp and in a blink my wheel Joe Jitsued me on my back (so sowwy) and bounced my helmet off the pavement. I was fully padded but nothing hit but back and head;. was only going 5-6 mph thank fully but it sure made climbing scaffold this week painful.

felt like folding the nose on a slalom boardBAM

mt bike jacket may be in my future, any suggestions?

I have used quite a few different brands (poc, dainese, fox, Troy Lee design) and just recently got a new set from Xion and am really liking their stuff as it is super low profile and fits great. Customer service was awesome and product comes direct via DHL.

https://www.xionpg.com/

• Thanks 1

different animals, If an eskate motor quits you slow down, If you push the onewheel past it's power limits you go splat. Eskate has a remote in your hand, onewheel is intuitive tilt the board and go. Maneuverability is incomparable, forward, switch, 180 pivots, curb hops, roots and rocks,; eskate wins on speed

26 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

They are just ridiculously expensive.  The GT is $3000 in Canada.  For that price they don't even include a cover for the charging plug.

yep, that xr in the pic is $1500 in parts and 3000mi. electronics, you can find used xr's for $1200-1400 on facebook

Becki's Specialized ebike was the same price as the GT:argue: albeit with less chance of serious injury!

Edited by b0ardski

On 5/25/2022 at 3:04 PM, JohnE said:

A friend of mine just ordered a Propel Endeavor Pro all terrain motorized skateboard. I don't know if he has ridden it yet. Do any of you know how it compares to OneWheel?

They sound like different beasts as above.

I like the idea of the "one wheel", but I don't like the concept, if that makes sense. A bit like unicycling - I know how to do it, but it's never really going to look cool to me.

The Propel Endeavor Pro looks more interesting, at risk of a rude thread hi-jack. I have an old fashioned mountain board, but I spent a lot of time wheeling it up stuff, and it didn't have brakes, so wheeling it down wasn't great either. The usage range for that board was very, very narrow. A motorized version though... hmm, that's a different idea I shall need to think about/ research.

Price... none of this stuff is cheap, I guess. But then in those videos of the One Wheel kids in NYC... well they were all old blokes, so the pricing is presumably aimed at that demographic. Perhaps they should sell massive lock chains with them too 😉

The very physics of a single self-propelled/self-balancing tire is really tempting fate. as for price?

new alpine board $1200

new alpine boots $500

new plate binding $400

season pass $500-$1000

whipping out the wheel for 15-30 minutes of happy turns anywhere you go for penny's worth of electricity?

priceless

3 hours ago, JohnE said:

The Propel Endeavor Pro says that it has 3000W motors.  My ebike is only 250W. Am I reading this correctly?:

2x6374 motors/ Each motor has a maximum theoretical output of 3000w

That's like 8 horsepower!

That sounds like a memorable experience! Likely throttled way down so the batteries last longer than a few seconds. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been kinda wanting one since they came out... Started looking into it this summer, decided to get a electric unicycle instead. But the one I want (King Song S22) is still at least a month away. Figured I'd get a OneWheel to keep me occupied until it gets here. Found a used one locally at a fair price Friday, bought it Saturday.

Been cruising around the neighborhood 2 or 3 miles a day ever since. 

The self-balancing part is MAGICAL. Throttle and brake is almost like it's just reading my mind.

The carving is nice within a pretty narrow range, but I keep feeling like I'm right on the verge of falling to the inside. I kinda miss having bindings to help me lean into the turns... but then again, after a few degrees of "edge angle" it gets weirdly nonlinear anyway. But, for lazy S turns down the street it's quite nice. 

I'm glad I tried it, but not certain I'm going to stick with it. This is definitely it's own thing. The almost-great but also oddly limited carving feel kinda makes me want to get an electric skateboard, just to be able to lean in harder and pull more Gs.

I've already ordered a different tire (TFL Enduro) just to see how that affects the turn feel. That might be what makes me commit to it or pass it on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NateW said:

I've been kinda wanting one since they came out... Started looking into it this summer, decided to get a electric unicycle instead.

Electric unicycle? 🤨  Sounds like fun but I'm Old School.

A few years ago I was doing a century ride on my bike in Tiverton, RI.  My wife opted for the fifty mile option and finished well before I did.  She had a pretty good idea of when I'd be finishing a hundred miles and met me about a quarter mile from the finish line with my unicycle.  She took my bike and I finished the ride on one wheel.  When I came around the last turn into the finish line a friend played the theme from Rocky on his boombox.  All converstation came to a halt. 😆  For the record, the most I've ridden the uni at one time is 12 miles and that was more than ten years ago.

tiverton2001-003.jpg

I'm constantly hearing folks yell out, "You've lost a wheel".  I used to respond by saying "I'm buying my bike on the installment plan" but switched to, "It's worse than it looks.  It started out as a tricycle!"

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/22/2022 at 12:52 AM, NateW said:

The self-balancing part is MAGICAL. Throttle and brake is almost like it's just reading my mind. I kinda miss having bindings to help me lean into the turns... but then again, after a few degrees of "edge angle" it gets weirdly nonlinear anyway. But, for lazy S turns down the street it's quite nice. 

I'm glad I tried it, but not certain I'm going to stick with it. This is definitely it's own thing. The almost-great but also oddly limited carving feel kinda makes me want to get an electric skateboard, just to be able to lean in harder and pull more Gs.

I've already ordered a different tire (TFL Enduro) just to see how that affects the turn feel. That might be what makes me commit to it or pass it on.

The enduro will be a game changer over the stock vega for carving, assuming you got an xr? trail riding will be even more improved!

toe hooks really help heelsides feel more stable/controllable, and keeps the feet in position over curbs and bumpy trails.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

Really looks like fun.

Would it be practical to ride while carrying a golf bag?  Would the battery last for a four hour round?

I hate riding carts but get exhausted carrying my bag up steep hills.  I have a "follow me' cart that unfortunately has a mind of its own.

I even thought of trying a Segway on the course but haven't found one to borrow for a test.

I've been thinking about adding something to help keep my feet in place, but at this point, anything that might interfere with an unscheduled dismount just makes me too uncomfortable. 

The much-delayed electric unicycle actually got here a couple days ago, so now I have two deadly contraptions to play with! The initial learning curve on the EUC is completely different. With the OneWheel I basically just got on and went - speed control is a no brainer, and after some experimenting to figure out the "sidecut radius" I was cruising around pretty comfortably. With the EUC I spent the first 30 minutes traveling 1-3 feet and stepping off. Made it 15 feet once and it felt like an achievement.

I think I need to find a wall to use like training wheels. Lateral balance requires steering which requires a bit of forward motion, and motion is hard to pick up when you have no lateral balance... Gonna take another stab at it tomorrow. 

Pedal unicycles were on my short-list for a long time, and I still think I should get one eventually. I've always been mediocre at riding wheelies on my bikes, and I think a unicycle would help me get (force me to get) much more comfortable and confident with fore-aft balance and steering.