Note to New Members ×

music

FrankNBeans

On 5/28/2019 at 1:01 AM, Neil Gendzwill said:

I don't use it too often anymore, but I have a pretty nice stereo: Linn Sondek LP12 turntable, Bryston .5B/3B amp, DCM Time Frame speakers.  It's all about 35 years old now, still sounds great.

Wow nice set up! I had a Bryston amp also at one stage, was actually awesome!

I used to have a nice stereo set up, but was impractical in the end for me. Now I'm just using a set of these headphones with this USB interface.

Got a set of studio monitors on my desk, which I hardly use. 😞

Sweet Neil.  In 2000 I worked part time for the summer at a boutique HiFi store, they had some cool stuff like Bryston, B&W, Magnepan, Rotel, Jolida, Genelec monitors, Transparent cables, and more.  I lusted for a Bryston amp of my own someday.  Still don't have one.  So for now my home theater is a Denon receiver and Klipsch Reference speakers.  Towers for the mains.  It cranks and I wouldn't know its deficiencies unless you brought over another piece of gear and we did an A/B session.  I bought the whole schmear at once, so price was a factor.

At the mountain I'm loving a stereo pair of Sonos Play 1 on the mantle.  Probably the best sound $300 can buy.  Puts the Bose Soundlink Mini I briefly used there to shame, but they're not really comparable.  I do love the Soundlink Mini for its intended use though.  Amazing little thing.

I have to confess my source these days is either Spotify or Pandora, both set on max quality, and they're pretty darn good.  I can't remember the last time I played a CD or even a losslessly ripped file.  I suppose I should do an A/B test there.

I messed around with far too many expensive audio products-- in particular electronics. Naim, Bryston, Leema and a few cheaper things like Rotel and NAD. Came to the conclusion that if running lossless/hq lossy audio from a reasonable source (pc to <$200 DAC is fine) then amplifier electronics only make up 5% of the sound, 5% to the DAC and 90% to the speakers.

I reckon people have it all wrong spending $2k on speakers and then $10k on pre/pro+2 monoblock powers and $10M on cables lol. $10k on speakers and <$2k on a modern digital integrated instead.

Don't really see a reason for expensive electronics anymore especially since I'm more happy with my JBL monitors, which come biamped, than basically any of my expensive stereo set ups I messed around with. I do have mogami cables, but only because my cheapy XLRs all ended up failing.

But I hardly use them in favour of headphones.

Edited by daveo

4 hours ago, Jack M said:

I have to confess my source these days is either Spotify or Pandora, both set on max quality, and they're pretty darn good.  I can't remember the last time I played a CD or even a losslessly ripped file.

Do you think you can tell the diff between 320k and 1411k? I don't think I can, but I still only download lossless for whatever reason. Even some hi-res for my favourite Chopin stuff. I convince myself I can hear the difference but we all know I can't.

7 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Bryston is pretty pricey these days. The replacement for my 3B is $4500 I think.

Yeah see that's a pretty nice used Ducati, which is higher on my list.

4 hours ago, daveo said:

Do you think you can tell the diff between 320k and 1411k?

Haven't tried that comparison, but 320 gets my audiophile poser juices going.  Back in 2000 when iTunes was 128k I did A/B that with a CD and I could tell the difference easily....  maybe now 320 is good enough for my 45 year old ears.

4 hours ago, daveo said:

I reckon people have it all wrong spending $2k on speakers and then $10k on pre/pro+2 monoblock powers and $10M on cables lol. $10k on speakers and <$2k on a modern digital integrated instead.

Agreed.  The speakers are the instrument.  Of course ideally the system should be balanced, but if you're going to cut corners, don't scrimp on the speakers.

7 hours ago, daveo said:

I messed around with far too many expensive audio products ... if running lossless/hq lossy audio from a reasonable source (pc to <$200 DAC is fine) then amplifier electronics only make up 5% of the sound, 5% to the DAC and 90% to the speakers.

Don't really see a reason for expensive electronics anymore especially since I'm more happy with my JBL monitors, which come biamped, than basically any of my expensive stereo set ups I messed around with. I do have mogami cables, but only because my cheapy XLRs all ended up failing.

But I hardly use them in favour of headphones.

I'm currently using Naim integrated amp/streaming with PMC speakers for my PC sound and also music. I have another Naim streamer as a radio alternative. Those companies are very local stuff to where I live.  Even with WASAPI and optical I can't get the same quality out of the PC directly, versus if I stream it over uPnP from there or elsewhere. That degradation isn't noticeable for gaming (!) or voice radio (192kb/s), but very much noticeable for FLAC. 

I can always tell the difference between A and B. The problem is working out which I like best, and then working out if it's worth the difference in price. I think it's like wine - you need to work out where your sweet spot is and then buy whatever they have at that price. I kind of like the idea of huge monster systems, but the technology changes fast and I don't want to live with antiques, and cheaper stuff is easier to change.

When the Sondek ruled, accepted wisdom was that the source was the most important thing, although  most people ignored the obvious quality issues in the vinyl when claiming that. These days the UK fashion is to spend most money on speakers, which is at least good in creating lots of choice in speakers.

44 minutes ago, philw said:

I'm currently using Naim integrated amp/streaming with PMC speakers for my PC sound and also music.

So just a budget set up? Jks. I had a Naim NateDogg about 10 years ago or so. Connected to a set of the old Epos M16i .. I'm sure you know them since you're from up that way. I actually had the matching centre and books (actually bought them from hifiwigwam..) for surrounds, but preferred stereo for most if not all things. Never had the room treatment to integrate subs and surrounds properly.

I could never really tell the difference between WASAPI output and just normal output going to my DAC or these days I use a studio usb interface. Decent one. Audient- UK gear, too. Maybe because I've always run on a decent comp with external DAC chips?

I haven't listened to anything less than FLAC for aages. I still download it all the old fashioned way. Rarghh. Pretty sure last time we (me n a couple of mates) checked we could all tell the diff between 192/FLAC, but I doubt I could ever tell the difference between 320/anything higher. Not sure I could pick which is which in a blind test.

What server do you use for upnp? The bang for your buck is in studio monitors, provided you're near field. That's my experience anyway. Kali & JBL seem good.

3 hours ago, Jack M said:

Agreed.  The speakers are the instrument.  Of course ideally the system should be balanced, but if you're going to cut corners, don't scrimp on the speakers.

For sure. I place more importance on room treatment these days. That's probably why I like headphones so much. No need to treat the room. I remember the guy I sold my Epos towers to complained about them being ear piercingly bright in his SQUARE, TILED, LOW ROOFED room. And he was an audio engineer apparently- I still doubt that.

Edited by daveo

12 minutes ago, daveo said:

...What server do you use for upnp? ...

There's a server running on my Synology NAS, can't remember what that software is - the standard built in package (although you can run Asset there too). 

I mostly use Media Monkey, which I set up to "play" via uPNP so it completely bypasses the PC's audio systems as noted. I want to use the Naim DAC, not anything in the PC!

In the past I've tested most free servers and found the free Asset upnp server best for my general use. You also need control software to drive that, of which there's plenty to chose. 

Audient looks interesting, thanks. I like big speakers, probably because my dick is so small 😉 That said, I know small speakers can sound really good. 

8 minutes ago, philw said:

There's a server running on my Synology NAS, can't remember what that software is - the standard built in package (although you can run Asset there too). 

I mostly use Media Monkey, which I set up to "play" via uPNP so it completely bypasses the PC's audio systems as noted. I want to use the Naim DAC, not anything in the PC!

In the past I've tested most free servers and found the free Asset upnp server best for my general use. You also need control software to drive that, of which there's plenty to chose. 

Interesting, I'll sus it out! Chur!

8 minutes ago, philw said:

Audient looks interesting, thanks. I like big speakers, probably because my dick is so small 😉 That said, I know small speakers can sound really good. 

That's why I insist on a B-double as my daily.

Edited by daveo

1 minute ago, daveo said:

You've hurt me in places.

They were Canada 3000 headphones, so likely 19+ years old.  The vinyl cord coating is failing at an exponential rate, so I need to replace.  Think it'll be hard to find similar quality?  😉 Outdoor Research ones only lasted slightly longer than the warranty period.   

1 hour ago, philw said:

When the Sondek ruled, accepted wisdom was that the source was the most important thing, although  most people ignored the obvious quality issues in the vinyl when claiming that. These days the UK fashion is to spend most money on speakers, which is at least good in creating lots of choice in speakers.

That’s because at the time, there was such a huge difference in source quality. My LP12 was clearly superior to any turntable my friends had at the time, and in the mid 80s it was no contest with a CD player either. People who think records sound shitty are still astonished when they hear it today. 

Now we have digital recording and playback sorted out pretty thoroughly, any CD player with a decent DAC is going to be fine. Similarly amplification is now way more bang for your buck, especially since you don’t need such a complicated preamp. The only thing that still costs a lot of money to do right is the speaker. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Now we have digital recording and playback sorted out pretty thoroughly, any CD player with a decent DAC is going to be fine. Similarly amplification is now way more bang for your buck, especially since you don’t need such a complicated preamp. The only thing that still costs a lot of money to do right is the speaker. 

Yeeeh! Agree.

These days there are some sweet integrated amps with a reasonable USB fed DAC, essentially eliminating the need for a CDP!

36 minutes ago, Corey said:

They were Canada 3000 headphones, so likely 19+ years old.  The vinyl cord coating is failing at an exponential rate, so I need to replace.  Think it'll be hard to find similar quality?  😉 Outdoor Research ones only lasted slightly longer than the warranty period.   

Added to ignore list. My heart can't take this anymore. :1luvu:

Edited by daveo
  • Haha 1

Its 5 pm, Friday evening in Colorado so you are probably within earshot of the Colorado sound.

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4kXWLoH6xQ

followed by this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEZtII8rt_Y&list=RDLEZtII8rt_Y&start_radio=1&t=3

RIP , Country Dick, but damn, what a way to go out, onstage, in his boots, under a shower of beer.  Truly EPIC

Finally, and quite possibly this a little bit down the road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asTYeV13Krc

The young lady has some serious pipes

mario

Edited by big mario