Note to New Members ×

Hard boot binding comparison

philw

7 hours ago, yamifumi said:

- SG is held down with thick metal plate that is painted black. Read the description on the SG’s website and do not assume from the picture: CNC milled Al7075 plate and disk. The F2’s disk is thin piece of metal.

- Have you ever tried to adjust the F2’s cant and lift system with pozi drive? I have done it many times when I was trying dofferent set up and it was night mare. Also, the toe bail tightness is not the same anymore because you move the bail. It is easier to take the bindings off. You do not have to take off the binding to change the distance of toe and heel bail.

- as far as i know, F2 DID NOT come with 2 sets of lifts. Just 1 when I bought it brand new. SG comes with 2 sets of lift (so you can do both toe and heel lift) and cant wedges. 

- parts can be readily available from SG but may take extra shipping time.

wish i could show it to you in person....

http://www.yyzcanuck.com/shop/parts/f2-titanflex-center-disk/

A link to the thick f2 centerplate used on the titanflex, if the regular centerpiece is moving, use this one.

I confess, my rear step-in bindings have 4mm allenhead bolts, so, the fronts are easy to move (step-in), and the 4-5-6 wrench moves the rear, I don't want to remove the binding from the board when the board is cold, ever...

Wait, how do you move the toe and heel block without removing the binding? They are held with an allen bolt, from below the binding.

According to the (show me) picture.

The black centerpiece is cnc milled, is it extruded black aluminum or black painted steel, the F2 piece linked to above is steel.

A small but significant point, I don't want to remove or install the binding on the board when the the board is cold.

BTW, Catek bindings are perfect for dialing in your perfect binding position while "on" snow, on the other hand, hit and miss with F2's and or clones is cumbersome at best.

Haven't bought a new set of F2's lately,  I remember toe and heel lifts for both bindings, carrier piecies for the lifts, cants and screw length selection's in each new set. 

Contacting YYZ and getting all the extra parts needed is as simple as conacting Dan at UPZ for buckle replacements and helps to keep the parts in place.

KISS

49 minutes ago, ursle said:

http://www.yyzcanuck.com/shop/parts/f2-titanflex-center-disk/

A link to the thick f2 centerplate used on the titanflex, if the regular centerpiece is moving, use this one.

I confess, my rear step-in bindings have 4mm allenhead bolts, so, the fronts are easy to move (step-in), and the 4-5-6 wrench moves the rear, I don't want to remove the binding from the board when the board is cold, ever...

Wait, how do you move the toe and heel block without removing the binding? They are held with an allen bolt, from below the binding.

According to the (show me) picture.

The black centerpiece is cnc milled, is it extruded black aluminum or black painted steel, the F2 piece linked to above is steel.

A small but significant point, I don't want to remove or install the binding on the board when the the board is cold.

BTW, Catek bindings are perfect for dialing in your perfect binding position while "on" snow, on the other hand, hit and miss with F2's and or clones is cumbersome at best.

Haven't bought a new set of F2's lately,  I remember toe and heel lifts for both bindings, carrier piecies for the lifts, cants and screw length selection's in each new set. 

Contacting YYZ and getting all the extra parts needed is as simple as conacting Dan at UPZ for buckle replacements and helps to keep the parts in place.

KISS

The center piece is painted aluminium alloy al7075. Is it ok to remove/move any plastic parts amd torque it down when it is super cold.........

the toe and heel bail is pretty much same as f2, the bolt is juat opposite way. The bold do not go into the bail (again same as f2, just opposite) but screw into the bottom parts where toe or heel bail slides. Again, refer to my detailed picture on “equipment review”.

definitely cateks have the easy adjustment on their system from what i read and heard but unfortunately those are unavailable new and td3 is going that direction.

Same thing for SG binding parts, all you have to do is send email to them and voila, you can get extra parts as people wish.

Like everything else in this sports, it all comes down to personal preference. It may work for some but may not work for others. At this point, SG works for me the best.

19 hours ago, yamifumi said:

Do they have any options for toe lift or heel lift?

PHK seem have two basic designs. The first is the 46.6/Highlander. They come with a bunch of angled plastic shims for under toe/heel blocks. The binding baseplate is slightly off the board, so the screw lengths don't have to be spot on.

PHK also makes a binding with what looks like a Catek-like design, the H1.

On their webpage (under parts) they have what looks like a unicant-type under-binding plate.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I think if they're not quoting prices and shipping then it's not really for me . I don't care about the cost, but I don't like being gouged.
Those don't seem to be serious if you can't buy them like normal stuff. I suppose I could ask them the prices and shipping, then post it on here... but life's too short, if they want business, they know what they need to do.

Edited by philw

14 hours ago, teach said:

PHK also makes a binding with what looks like a Catek-like design, the H1.

If I'm reading their site right then it looks like the cant/lift mechanism is similar to Bomber's - you get one sloped disc and you can rotate it separately.  The mid-plate attaches to the lower assembly with one big honkin' bolt, which is reminiscent of Catek, but I think the similarity ends there.  As far as I can tell they only offer a 7-degree disc.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

PHK appear to have updated their website and also their products, perhaps following what looks to be something of a reorganisation/ rebrand.

It looks to me that they've rationalized what was a very confusing product range into three bindings. A hard looking soft binding; a traditional plate binding with retro colouring (Highlander); and then the "Pro Ride" plate binding which looks interesting to F2 fans like me.

The plate bindings are manual or Intec, all CNC machined, bails for fat people. There isn't any information on cants or bail heights etc, or prices or availability.

http://www.phk-italia.com/en/products/pro-ride-2/

Looking good. 

The plate bindings look stiff. Adjustment slots on center disks are a bit shorter then on F2... I have to say I'm not too crazy about 3 slots for adjustment of the toe/heel blocks. I busted a binding based on a similar principle, long ago. 

I like the looks of the strap bindings. It's a bit unclear how the base pieces of the toe and heel attach to the main plate... Spring on the lean mechanism should be great. 

On 8/23/2018 at 12:12 PM, jburk said:

A quick update: the North American distributor for UPZ boots has started carrying the SG bindings, so it looks like the pricing has come down to something (relatively) closer to the standard F2 Race Titanium bindings.

http://upzboots.com/shop/sg-performance-race-bail/

Not sure how you define close: the SG is priced more than 50% higher than the Intec Titanium.

If you’re in Canada, then they are close to 50% more.  But in the US, it’s much less.

One set of Race titanium + a second lift kit + shipping from Donek comes to $325 USD. I’ve bought two sets over the last couple of seasons, same price each time. 

SG includes the second lift kit, $345 USD, free shipping.  I’d call that close. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, philw said:

bails for fat people

@philw I''m no elf like you but I'm not fat and I do like bails that won't break when the wind blows.

Perhaps you should try resistance training or offer you own line of bindings for leprechauns.

Much love. :biggthump

BTW... I too am looking for off the shelf bindings that snuggly fit my Backlands.

Edited by lonbordin
195cm & 112kg if you must know.