Note to New Members ×

Newbie Question: Shaving Off Speed

Mord

Abraham Maslow hierarchy of needs comes to mind.  It kinda applied to carving as well.

physiological need comes first:  my boot fit, right bladder does not belong in the left shell... this is a big one ;-)  Fairly decent cardiovascular shape

security:  not too crowded, snow is good and conducive to work on technique, trail is wide/mellow that suit one's abiity

Analogy broke down a bit but you get the idea.

then the forever intermediate carver(expert beginner):  hence king of the green. 

I shared this before:

ExpertBeginner.jpg

https://www.daedtech.com/how-developers-stop-learning-rise-of-the-expert-beginner/

Here is a great talk on how do we leveling the gap between expert and novice:  same context but complete different field.

Why does the expert carver make it look easy?  "simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication"  Carving is impossible; until you get it.  Then it's easy ;-)

Edited by pow4ever
it

1 hour ago, Buell said:

I have also seen enough longtime carvers fail to develop their speed control skills adequately and they continue to have a little skid some where in their turn or often on their heelside

Hey!  I resemble that remark, especially the occasional heel-side skid. But I'm working on it...   

I am having fun, but realize that this tendency will doom me to "forever intermediate" unless I make a deliberate effort to fix it.  So I try to do a couple of laps on the greenest run the hill has to offer at the start of the day and focus solely on not skidding, and then spend my last 30 minutes in the same manner.  Since a lot of my riding is at night and I tend to ride until closing, I usually have that slope all to myself at the end of the night, it's just too bad it's only 5 turns long.

ChartImage.jpeg.f9c4c8e3964c6d216df6541219700496.jpeg

Deliberate practice like this is a grind if it's all you do, but I find if you do it at the start and end of the day and just have fun in the middle, you'll still reap the benefits.

Edited by jburk

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

Yep, that's me - in fact I'm typing this from my office in &^*%$#@ Florida where I teach classical acting all winter. I did get 9 days on snow this year including a couple this past weekend (wearing a T-Shirt on Tuesday!). I remember Jorg on that trail - total sickness - and I remember how I got down it - jump-turns, slarves, sideslips and butt-drags. I also made two fully committed pure hard driving carves one of which nearly blew me off the trail into the trees and the other I sucked around so far that my next turns were switch.

My mockery of the 4-turn-at a time Posse is purely affectionate of course and I happily join in when I can - for one thing it's just nice to have someone to ride with and admire. I certainly remember sitting on the side of the trail at Stratton trying to figure out how CMC was getting from one edge to the other so fast without dislocating something. 

At least you tried:  I think i just tuck my tail between my legs and slide down... 

lol; we saw Jorg get a bit trip up at the bottom of that run.  And you said "he must just tripped over his giant steel balls"  I am paraphrase it a bit, @dingbat does a great impression/reenactment of it....  Good time indeed.

Edited by pow4ever

If you are regular stance you can control your speed on the toe side carve.  Really driving into the slope to control speed which helps the transition into the heel side carve.  For me, heel side is tougher to keep good carving form when speed is too much.  Usually resulting in a skid or a chatter.  So, if you favor heel side over toe side, that will work for you as well.

Not much to add on what others have said, except that if you look at I think it's the steeps clinic video from SES a couple years ago by Corey, really try to commit to the turn early on (carving the downhill edge). The j turn will definitely show you that you can use a carve to shave speed and even stop without skidding, but when going fast it will only hold so long before the speed and pressure build too much and you wash out. Committing early helps to ensure you add pressure to the top of your turn, not just the bottom, resulting in a cleaner carve that you won't blow out of at speed. As others mentioned, once you start the carve, it tends to be a bit easier to continue it to across and even slightly up the fall line, at which point you can transition again by really committing and pressuring that edge early in the turn. If doing it right, you should get spray from your carve not just on the bottom, but at the sides, and even towards the top too. 

As you practice and start learning how to make big and small turns, the small ones definitely help to shave speed as well. Small ones require more of that pressure at the beginning of your turn and lots of angulation. The larger GS style turns will build speed more and point you more downhill. 

Another thing I would say, as a few others have, use skidding if needed to stay safe, but otherwise I would not rely on it and preferably try to avoid as possible. It has the potential of building bad habits you have to break later on. 

EDIT: I guess it was in the intermediate one, about halfway through. Here's the video: 

The steeps one has some pointers too though... 

Edited by AcousticBoarder
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, pow4ever said:

Abraham Maslow hierarchy of needs comes to mind.  It kinda applied to carving as well.

physiological need comes first:  my boot fit, right bladder does not belong in the left shell... this is a big one ;-)  Fairly decent cardiovascular shape

security:  not too crowded, snow is good and conducive to work on technique, trail is wide/mellow that suit one's abiity.

Very well stated! It's hard to learn to ride well when your feet hurt or you're scared. 

12 hours ago, pow4ever said:

Why does the expert carver make it look easy?  "simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication"  Carving is impossible; until you get.  Then it's easy ;-)

Also so very true! 

Wow, I wish I would have paid more attention to projecting my voice to the camera in those videos. I wasn't thinking they'd come up so often. Still, I hope they're helpful to some! Thanks again to Alan for filming and Fin for helping clarify some of my concepts beforehand. And of course the many great teachers that gave me those same tips!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corey said:

Wow, I wish I would have paid more attention to projecting my voice to the camera in those videos. I wasn't thinking they'd come up so often.

At some point I had gone through and cleaned up the audio a little and boosted your voice, I thought I uploaded them to YouTube but I'm not sure anymore. I will have to try and find them....

17 hours ago, jburk said:

Deliberate practice like this is a grind if it's all you do, but I find if you do it at the start and end of the day and just have fun in the middle, you'll still reap the benefits.

So much truth :-)  Practice makes perfect if the practice are done perfectly...

Thank you for the video!

Holy cow; I took so many clinic....  Looking back I "understood" the messages but just wasn't ready for the wisdom yet because where my level was at(I heard but wasn't listening).
Now I "mostly get it" and know where my deficiency are and what I need to work on.

The light bulb went off for me when I was on the Chair with Fin:  the up/down, dynamic weighting/unweighting.  Start controlling the speed early.
Hence it's my "one trick pony" advice for those whom ask(because it worked for me) but now I see depends on where the individual are it might not be the best suggestion to dole out just yet.

Which is why i linked the Jessica Kerr's video(the idea/concept is expressed beautifully).  To promote Alpine snowboard en masse; a systematic approached would be crucial.  Good rider doesn't necessary make good teacher but typically a good teacher are great rider.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2018 at 3:25 AM, Corey said:

Very well stated! It's hard to learn to ride well when your feet hurt or you're scared. 

Also so very true! 

Wow, I wish I would have paid more attention to projecting my voice to the camera in those videos. I wasn't thinking they'd come up so often. Still, I hope they're helpful to some! Thanks again to Alan for filming and Fin for helping clarify some of my concepts beforehand. And of course the many great teachers that gave me those same tips!

It's not all that difficult to make out nearly word in those vids if you use earbuds.