Note to New Members ×

Bought my first ever SB and eager to learn!

mike13golf

Hi, BOL folks! My name's Mike and I recently purchased my first ever snowboard (an older Prior WCR) but I don't know where to begin. 

I've got a pair of hardboots, a board with bindings, and a will to figure this out. What I'm looking for is another boarder to show me how to get into the sport. I come from an alpine ski racing background so carving is very familiar, but a board isn't the same concept from what I can see. I used to ride a longboard which, I'm assuming, is the summertime equivalent of hardbooting. That's all I know.

Now, I'd really like to find someone that would be willing to go out for  a ride with me, or to share some pointers. I live in TO and typically ski at glen eden, Blue, MSLM, Horseshoe.

TIA!

Welcome Mike!

There are a number of very helpful articles here: http://www.bomberonline.com/newbies/ which might help before you suit up and I also found Mr Beckmanns web page most helpful http://beckmannag.com/hardboot-snowboarding/hardboot-binding-configuration in getting set up in an orderly fashion. WCRM - nothing like starting a the pointy end :) Enjoy!

I ride at a small hill called brimecombe.ca aka the old Oshawa ski club most sat and sundays. I’m a newbie of 3yrs and mostly learned via grit and grind on my own.

Looking for my own coach as well to move to the next level. I’m currently learning from a few 12yr olds who are provincial champs....yah go figure lol. Happy to teach whatever I can and know if you are out that way. There are a few folks aka less then on one hand that board on most hills in ont each weekend, ask the local snowboard and ski instructors which runs they mostly hang out on and chase them down.  I hear a good group hangs at MSLM but never meet them. Go in the morning when the hills are groomed as that’s when most like to carve. It’s a lot of trial and error unless you can find a coach. sites that may help get you going. 

http://www.alpinecarving.com/   Lots of good reading, bit dated but still good.

for  ew equipment when ready check out yyzcanuck.ca in Toronto.

Look on youtube under alpine boarding or carving and watch as many videos as you can find. Ben from Russia below is all video with no words but helpful as he takes you from beginning turns to carving. 

• 2 weeks later...

I too normally ride at the Brim, usually quite a few carvers there ... though right now I am at Copper Colorado for the next 2 weeks.

How was your tryout at Centennial? That big old Prior may have trouble getting up enough steam at Centennial to bend an arc.

It was a slow learning process for me. One thing I did in the beginning was mount my plates on a stiff freeride board via a suggestion from a more seasoned rider who said "change one thing at a time".  It worked for me at the start. 

One suggestion if I could ... Don't reach for the snow ... in fact bend  your upper body away from it. 

Keep an eye open for a more flexy All Mtn or Free Carve Coiler or F2 Silberpfeil or something.  They a lot friendlier at lower learning speeds.

Get in touch with me later in March if there is any snow left in Ontario, I would be glad to help if I can.  (Disclaimer- I am all self taught)

-Doug