Note to New Members ×

JJ Anderson Gold

lowrider

The man. Full on low side in qualifier & still managed the win. Even made it look good - much carvier. 

Props to Ester as well - she got a lucky break, but was clearly fastest on the lower section in every run. Legit chance for double gold? Better believe it.

• Like 1

Man!    Eight years!     That's  a long dry spell between Gold medal runs!   Last Gold was Vancouver Olympics 2010 

JJ must be, what?  42 years old??  - Now that makes it even more impressive!!

Somebody post the event or his Gold medal run.     He just beats out my Man,  Nevin  Galmarini..............but where's Vic Wild??

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, barryj said:

Uh.... where?  lowriders post?  That just loops back to this thread....at least thats all I see.

Click on the lonbordin replied to a topic... it will take you right to the post with the video.

Edited by lonbordin
clicky-clicky

I'm going to  question  on you analysis of the state of snowboarding. It would appear to me that Canada is now focusing on BX not alpine .  Haven't looked at the schedule for Olympics but if BX was after Alpine  i would love to see what  JJ could to to the young guys in BX . I believe he was riding newly constructed boards of his own design so maybe the secret sauce is the reason !

14 hours ago, BlueB said:

It is... The very fact that an old man is winning where he probably shouldn't, tells us something is very wrong with the current state of snowboard racing. 

Andreas Prommegger and Roland Fischnaller are 37. Karl, Wild, Kosir, Marguc, Galmarini are all over 30. Success at a young age is the exception rather than the rule. 

Veterans stay competitive because the sport rewards patience and consistency rather than aggression. Push too hard and you'll crash and burn. 

I'll agree that there is something wrong with snowboarding though - it's the fact that all these veterans, with the single exception of Jasey, are from Europe. They can stay in the sport when Canadians and Americans have to leave in order to start careers and families. Euros can make a living and raise families without leaving the sport because of funding and off season income. North Americans are self-funded. You can't keep that up into your 30s.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2018 at 9:21 PM, BlueB said:

The very fact that an old man is winning where he probably shouldn't, tells us something is very wrong with the current state of snowboard racing. 

When 'old man' Bode Miller became the oldest Olympic medalist in alpine skiing history most experts said his win was due to his determination, training, skill and experience.  However, when Jasey-Jay wins a world cup event at 42 you say it's because "something is very wrong with the current state of snowboard racing".

Would you prefer snowboard competitions that have perfectly-rounded drawn-out turns (which would slow the competitors down) and 2' high limbo bars (to force competitors into fully laid out body slides) and have judges give extra credit based on who made the prettiest turns?

I'm interested in your detailed opinion of what is so "very wrong with the current state of snowboard racing".  Please feel free to include the usual comments about how metal boards and plate systems create a negative image of the sport, and about how metal boards and plates are responsible for racing becoming lost to a 'down the line path' where racers just throw their boards around (like two athletes racing pogo sticks downhill).

The following information and videos might help you refine your opinion: Shortly after the 1998 Olympics several European snowboard racers were asked for their opinions about Jasey-Jay Anderson's race technique and the general consensus was: Jasey-Jay is too aggressive - he is a risk taker who throws his board around too much.

Philipp Schoch - 2002 Olympics Men's Parallel Giant Slalom (you need to use the link below because YouTube will not allow that video to be embedded):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Ds4-9DdTE

Philipp Schoch - 2006 Olympics Men's Parallel Giant Slalom (you need to use the link below because YouTube will not allow that video to be embedded):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8so8H_fCJZA

Jasey-Jay Anderson - 2010 Olympics Men's Parallel Giant Slalom (you need to use the link below because YouTube will not allow that video to be embedded):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB79JDyYYa8

Vic Wild - 2014 Olympics Men's Parallel Giant Slalom (you need to use the link below because YouTube will not allow that video to be embedded):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDilQWhZxfk

FIS Rogla - 2018 Men's Parallel Giant Slalom snowboard race highlights

FIS Bansko - 2018 Men's Parallel Giant Slalom snowboard race highlights

Edited by noschoolrider
added more race videos

The turn, leg craziness, hip slide, recovery into soft snow that they show in slo-mo at 1:00 minute in the video is exceptional (I've linked a timestamp video below). 

Jasey looks a little incredulous when he wins but he shouldn't be... most mortals would not have been able to pull that turn in the middle of a race and win.

Edited by lonbordin
What's his BOL handle... don't be a lurker JJ! :-D
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, noschoolrider said:
17 hours ago, BlueB said:

The very fact that an old man is winning where he probably shouldn't, tells us something is very wrong with the current state of snowboard racing. 

When 'old man' Bode Miller became the oldest Olympic medalist in alpine skiing history most experts said his win was due to his determination, training, skill and experience.  However, when Jasey-Jay wins a world cup event at 42 you say it's because "something is very wrong with the current state of snowboard racing".

In 2004, I was 40 yrs. old. I was Coaching a kid (on both snowboard, and skateboard, for Racing) who, on the Skateboard, would later be World Junior Champion. The 'Worlds' was about as close to an Olympic-level Event that Skateboard racing would get. I raced in the Super-G, but really wasn't very focused on myself, but was keeping an eye on 'that kid'. I just 'went for it' on my last run, not really with any thought. Later that evening, they held an in-door Cyber-Slalom, and then the Awards. I was outside, chatting with Bola, when Claude told me 'to get your horse's-ass IN Here Now!' I had to come inside, only to find everyone was waiting for me to step onto the Podium between Paul Price and Cliff Coleman!? ! ? I had gotten 2nd place for 'Amateur' Class Racers. That was a 37-42 mph hill, around cones (i know the speed, because a CHIPS Officer was at the bottom with a Radar Gun; I asked!), and, I wasn't 'focused' on my 'Race'.  Sometimes, EXPERIENCE leads to Performance; or as my Mom used to say ; "Old Age and Treachery will Defeat youth and Exuberance Any-day!"

Talent rises to the top, always, haters always sink to the bottom....

So psyched for Jasey Jay, great guy, deserves the accolades for the hard work to get back on top, he retired, started a successful company and then trained for world class competition.

He's a member, heck, he attended one of the ECES at Stratton, made turns with anyone, a true gentleman.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lonbordin said:

The turn, leg craziness, hip slide, recovery into soft snow that they show in slo-mo at 1:00 minute in the video is exceptional (I've linked a timestamp video below). 

Jasey looks a little incredulous when he wins but he shouldn't be... most mortals would not have been able to pull that turn in the middle of a race and win.

Seriously impressed he held that all together to make the turn. I maybe a softbooter but i love watching racing the win was defintely well deserved :)

On 1/28/2018 at 12:21 AM, BlueB said:

It is... The very fact that an old man is winning where he probably shouldn't, tells us something is very wrong with the current state of snowboard racing. 

Frankly I believe it is due to that he carves more and better than most others, IMO.  It is usually only a mistake or recovery move when he lets his left hand get behind him.  His style and technique is the gold standard.  Many other racers seem too sideways to me, and seem to rely too much on slide-lock turns. 

Also, experience matters.  His body knows what to do in more emergency situations without him having to think about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:35 PM, barryj said:

Man!    Eight years!     That's  a long dry spell between Gold medal runs!   Last Gold was Vancouver Olympics 2010 

JJ must be, what?  42 years old??  - Now that makes it even more impressive!!

Somebody post the event or his Gold medal run.     He just beats out my Man,  Nevin  Galmarini..............but where's Vic Wild??

Have you seen Icarus? Might not be welcome? total speculation.